Has anyone had this before?

Hi there.

We're buying a property and a PM has advised that someone wants to rent the property. They work for a company and want to rent it for 12 months, and want to have an air conditioner installed in the house. According to the PM there is apparently a company that installs a/c and at the end of the time removes it at the tenant's cost.

I will be finding out more about this, but in the meantime, wondered if anyone had any experience with something like this.

I will know tomorrow if the house will be ours, so then comes the tenancy stuff.

All hints and advice are greatly appreciated.

Dear Phm,

Something to consider is the damage the airconditioner will do to your IP.

The cheapest airconditioners are basically big boxes that cut squares in the side of the IP. Physical damage that is quite difficult to repair for a brick construction. Something to consider for yourself.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi PHM,

You could have the air - con installed in a window if it is a box type unit.

At the same time, get a quote for reglazing of the window and factor it up by 20% to cover price rises and have this amount reimbursed to you UP FRONT to cover your reinstatement costs once the air - con has been removed.

Good Luck

Glenn

Hi PHM,

I have heard of companies renting IPs for their staff paying 12mths in advance (which is quite handy)... but in your case, can u try negotiating for u to install an aircon for them for a slight rent increase (ie. $10-$20)? that way u can depreciate the aircon (which would make ur property more tenant attractive in the future), they don't have to go back in after the 12 mths paying for the removal of the unit, repairs to IP, etc... u may be on a winner here...

Cheers,

Manuel.

I've had a tenant who had an A/C installed. They paid to have the proper powerpoint installed, and installed the unit in the window.

This was all before I owned the unit.

They have since moved out. They removed the A/C and made good any 'damage' done from the installation. (left the powerpoint though - that's Ok)

Personally, I had no issues with it.

I've since installed a split sytsem AC in the unit (they moved out, so I took the opportunity to renovate the place.)

Cheerio

Simon.

Hi there.

Thanks Sunstone, Manny, sbe & Glenn for your replies. The latest is, the tenant will be wanting to install an a/c in the window of the lounge and bedroom but not until it gets warm again. So I have about 6 months to decide about this. I've told the PM that the tenant will have to apply in writing at that time.

Manny, I will give that idea some thought. I wonder however, if the tenant is signing a 12 month lease and applies 9 months into the lease to have a/c installed, I'd need to check out whether, at this stage, I could raise the rent. (Gee this is interesting stuff.) I don't think that this tenant is one of the ones who pay up 12 months ahead. Gee that would be good though.

Glenn, by reglazing, do you mean the cost of replacing the glass back into the window? Reglazing sounds like putting a coating of something on the glass!! (Oh to be dumb about such things!)

sbe, I'm still giving thought to a split system. I don't however think it is really necessary in this sunny beach side town where the climate would be lovely all year round. I am going to install ceiling fans however, but will watch to see what the market demands, as far as a/c is concerned.

Back