Has anyone put on Bond homes or kit homes as resellers?

Hi people.

Not much luck with the flat pack thread , what about Bond homes or similar , kits homes of some sort .
Has anyone built anything like these as resellers or know of someone that does, how did they sell ?

I've seen quite a few investors up my way build this type of thing but how they've sold later I don't know , I've usually just passed them here or there and so haven't seen the outcome.

Although , there is one just down the road here at home and his put as much on it as any of the other houses here for sale. It hasn't sold in 12 mths but he does have a ridiculous price on it.

Cheers

Just about to build one or two Blaster. Will probably do a thread on the progress once I get it through council early next year. Sourcing the kit from Valley Kit Homes on the Gold Coast. Will be clad with hardiplank and roofed with colourbond with a nice big deck on the back so will just look like a small conventional house. Expect no lesser valuation than a conventional home. The 2 x approx 110 sqm 2br 1bath 1 gar homes will sell for at least 350k ea once strata titled. Budgeting around 100k ea to build.

are we talkign about owner builde rhere?

i have been toyinh with a kit but think i may do it as a transportable. the biggest advatnage being it has HI meaning i can resell it

Just about to build one or two Blaster. Will probably do a thread on the progress once I get it through council early next year. Sourcing the kit from Valley Kit Homes on the Gold Coast. Will be clad with hardiplank and roofed with colourbond with a nice big deck on the back so will just look like a small conventional house. Expect no lesser valuation than a conventional home. The 2 x approx 110 sqm 2br 1bath 1 gar homes will sell for at least 350k ea once strata titled. Budgeting around 100k ea to build.

Great stuff , thanks rockstar.
I hear you and I've seen some designs or completed houses where they've gone to that extra trouble in nice decking or say thicker feature uprights or doors and windows or something , you really could not tell the difference they've come up great.
Thats the sort of thing I've had in mind whereby I can save for better margins on the house itself but spend a few bucks adding other extras and features, landscaping , offsetting the lighter look some of them have.
Expecting no lesser valuation , great stuff .
I'm looking at this house and thinking gee's , I love the cedar look but buger me it was just carefully painted hardie planking , I actually had to run a hand along it before I could tell for sure , looked great. I haven't seen these exact boards before .
Alternate Dwellings have got one, 'Old Mill' , kit's 43K . It's come up here before actually but that's a great looking house and would really suit the outlook around the block I'm doing , you can't tell the difference.
Kit doesn't include big stuff though like plumbing,h/w, wiring , kitch/bath or floor coverings , then you have to get the thing put up. It's 2 story and not really a simple enough design so a bit much for owner/put up , this one anyway.
So where I'd be at after all the extras I have to work out but I might do the same and post when I have.
I saw a brand new one in the trading post one wk , not even unpacked , 19sq , 20 k for a quick sale , missed out damn it.
Then there's the shift houses . not sure about ones I've seen though. Hell of a lot of work getting some of them up to looking v/n but I do know of one a guy has just finished , came up great. He added the extra trouble though in taking allot of care with finish, landscaping , a nice shed .
Reckons he got the block 6 yrs ago for 28 , just before prices took off and just held it for a few yrs . Then started searching for the right looking and deal shift house.
All up his spent 110 with land. It's up for 225 now , looks a treat I think he'll get it.

Cheers

Last edited:
are we talkign about owner builde rhere?

i have been toyinh with a kit but think i may do it as a transportable. the biggest advatnage being it has HI meaning i can resell it

Thanks Aus , let us know you progress.
I'm not sure owner build or what , if I could finding a simple enough but attractive design , might do just as a one off.
The Old Mill , I mentioned above is a fav' right now but I don't think I'd like to try that one myself .
Yeah I have a rentable transportable on this one right now myself and it's going to be a high rent demand spot within the next 6 mths .
So I'm thinking if I put the house on it , as it's 1/2 an ac and I can incorporate the two nicely into the block but separately making it an attractive double renter, it has it's own drive right now .
I'm hoping due to the coming rent demand an investor should be into it's income prospects and it will help get the value up. Or if I hold it's a double for me .
If it doesn't help the value much though and I sell I can always as you say truck it off to another one .

Cheers

I'd go with a transportable too - will be building one next year if we sell our current house without any dramas. The quality of them is really very good these days, once you are inside you'd never know you're in a transportable.

in my siutation, the site build would probably be cheaper, however I have a looming deadline and the transportable builder can start now i.e. before issue of building licence, plus is a shorter build with a gt'd 12 week build time. in 12 weeks i could be dropping the house on my block.

I'd go with a transportable too - will be building one next year if we sell our current house without any dramas. The quality of them is really very good these days, once you are inside you'd never know you're in a transportable.

Thanks Rumpled , interesting . Something on a truck sure is tempting if I can find a bargain , some of them are as dear as a builder. My 2nd issue there is that the house can be dressed up and added to as nicely as a traditional and so hopefully come up really well , good reseller.

Cheers

in my siutation, the site build would probably be cheaper, however I have a looming deadline and the transportable builder can start now i.e. before issue of building licence, plus is a shorter build with a gt'd 12 week build time. in 12 weeks i could be dropping the house on my block.

Some of them happen so fast it's ridiculous. A few weeks back I went past a place removing the old house , that night coming home it was gone . 2 days later I go past again and there's a brand new house there , I like that idea.

See, that deadline thing is interesting. The builder we're leaning towards says 9-10 months from picking a plan to being finished. They are a bit of a boutique builder and do gorgeous stuff and lots of it. Prices are a little above other builders, but not a great deal.

Not all of that 9 months is building, barely a few weeks is - I think a lot of it is planning approval and inbuilt queueing - and planning approval shouldn't take 7 months. Considering we don't want to live in temporary accommodation for too long I think we may need to expand the search criteria for a builder to include build time. They're pretty similar as far as price and inclusions go.

Financing, but we'll have close to 70% deposit and the rest covered with equity. Transportables are very common here - even the new estate has some in. The various builders claim to have "lending experts" that know all about this kind of stuff and we're in a postcode that every man and his dog is throwing money at, so I can't see it being a problem.

They also do on-site builds for a few $1000 more but require progress payments on those.

cool. a lot of the builders internally fund the construction to get around the problem, but the guys I want to use aren't big enough so it's cash or nothing. the logic from the banks is that they have no security over the asset being funded until it is attached to the land that is mortgaged, hence why they wont fund them.

Good tip too - something else to ask while we're picking builders. Finance. Which will probably push us to the preferred builder again. They do house and land packages out here too. I swear this one company does 8 or 9 out of 10 new builds here, their houses are distinctive enough you can drive around and point them out.

Actually there is another transportable company that does a very small number of builds out here that does even more distinctive houses - they have quoins, stone front or render, big mouldings around the windows, they look just like a rendered brick house.

And then the owners leave the space under the house open so you get this solid, stone looking building kind of hovering on these little concrete stilts :confused:

A rock house on stilts eh, the stilts might be the give away what do ya reckon.
Na I know there's some great looking stuff out there , Qld also has some rippers. Very beachy looks, wide solid wooden rails along decks and different beefing up features, curved roofs , or that galv look , I love that one, some of them are beautiful .
I've decided to go on with this place instead now as my main after much deliberating so I'll get stuck into some serious searching b4 xmas. One thing though I've noticed so far, some are as dear as the conventional house.
Yeah you guys are right though quite a few have financing so far but how lenient or strict it is I don't know yet. I had one package arrive today so I'll let you know how the fine print reads up if any good.
You'd reckon they might be pretty good as sell more houses.

Cheers

Last edited:
One thing though I've noticed so far, some are as dear as the conventional house.
The more expensive builders advertise like crazy at the retiree seaside market - and you know how much seaside land costs. Sensibly, they figure they can charge a lot more for houses if they are selling them to cashed-up retirees :D

Back