Has anyone resurfaced their bathrooms?

Hi folks,

I've been looking at doing a cheap renovation to my 3.5m x 3m bathroom (replace the toilet, vanity and shower), and was wondering if anyone has used one of those tile resurfacing companies such as "The Resurfacing Agency" or "Mend-a-bathroom" or "Thermoglaze"?

I figure it should be a lot cheaper than replacing the tiles. How were the results? Looks like brand new or a bit dodgy? Also, were you able to ask for a different colour (i.e. other than white) for the floors?

May I ask roughly how much it cost to have it done? The bathroom I want to renovate has no bath to reglaze so that should take a fair whack of the price out.

Thank you,
Mal

Hi Mal P, My daughter had both her bathrooms done by Thermoglaze about 4 years ago . The main bathroom has had to cope with 2 young children splashing water everywhere ,still looks great and has stood the test of time extremly well.Cant remember the exact cost but was quarter what a complete new tiling job would have been Jann

We've had Mendabathroom done on tubs. They are a bit coy about doing tiles - but they'll come and do a free quote and sicuss.

Is it to sell or to use?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks folks. This is to rent it out... just trying to spruce up the place by focusing on the big tickets items.

Any ideas on rough price?

Also, do they work on kitchen cupboards as well? What about benchtops? Probably have to get them replaced huh?

I've just installed a new vanity in our bathroom and have been looking at these companies to do the bath tub in the same colour.

Would be interested to see the price, the tiles i might leave though.

Quick question - has anyone had their kitchen cupboards resprayed using one of these companies? Did it turn out alright? The lime green in my IP ain't looking too flash... if I respray the cupboards, replace the handles and then replace the benchtops, could look a lot nicer... but it depends if it ends up looking ok?

Can they actually resurface the tiles without affecting the grouting etc?

I've just installed a new vanity in our bathroom and have been looking at these companies to do the bath tub in the same colour.

Would be interested to see the price, the tiles i might leave though.

I have seen this on display at one of our home shows, looks good and it was priced reasonably cheap about $2-$3 K for a whole bathroom.
Watch Better Homes and Gardens this week, they are showing an old kitchen being painted over.

Hi folks,

I've been looking at doing a cheap renovation to my 3.5m x 3m bathroom (replace the toilet, vanity and shower), and was wondering if anyone has used one of those tile resurfacing companies such as "The Resurfacing Agency" or "Mend-a-bathroom" or "Thermoglaze"?

I figure it should be a lot cheaper than replacing the tiles. How were the results? Looks like brand new or a bit dodgy? Also, were you able to ask for a different colour (i.e. other than white) for the floors?

May I ask roughly how much it cost to have it done? The bathroom I want to renovate has no bath to reglaze so that should take a fair whack of the price out.

Thank you,
Mal

Hi Mal
I'm interested how your resurfaced tiles are getting along after a year?

I'm currently looking at resurfacing both the bathtub & wall tiles (approx 8sqm) in my first IP for long term hold.

I had a tradie from Thermoglaze came in today & told me the tiles were too damaged & wouldnt do the job as it wouldnt be to his 'standard' I would have thought he wanted the job! :confused:
Another one was eagerly optomistic, with a $500-$600 on bath tub alone, or $1800 for bath & tiles

I'm getting a few more quotes, however still not 100% about the results of resurfacing!

Any feedback would be much appreciated! :p
Thanks

thanks neX i have read those posts too

i am also considering innerbaths.com.au as an option

its approx $1000, so for $400 more than resurfacing, may save us headaches doing touch ups with each change in tenancy!?

Thermoglaze offered me a 7 year warranty... provided i followed the instructions on their sheet (only 7 points, stuff like, dont clean with certain products etc).

I gave that to the agent and specifically told them to make the tenant understood this was a resurfaced bath tub and provided they followed the instructions it would nice and new.

If they didnt follow instructions (eg chipped it and didnt say anything and it bubbled), the tenant would be responsible for any costs.

Just had a look at that inner bath site.... cant believe i didnt see this before. Definitely looks like a better option as well. My biggest fear with resurfacing is the potential chipping which is followed by bubbling due to water getting underneath. Based on what this product is offering, this might get around that.

From what ive been reading, there are bathtub manufacturers who some really durable acrylic.

"Some manufacturers actually use a grade of acrylic that is so durable you can hit it with a hammer and it won't crack. In most cases, if the surface becomes scratched, you will be able to buff it out."

http://docs.hdpi.com/PE-Links/articles/bath-bathtubguide.html

I would ask if I could hit one of their tubs with a hammer just to see how strong it is (they are saying they use "high impact stain resistant acrylic" :)

Have had shower and bath sprayed white.

Hi

I have had my old tiles resprayed white in shower and bath. It looks great at first but it does not last. Chips and scratches appear shortly after its done revealing the old colour which then looks like you have permanent mould in the shower! You can never use abrasive cleaning products on it (which most people do like jiff etc so I think any renters would destroy it). Having said that it might be worth it to freshen it up but don't expect it to last. I would probably not do this again.

Hi Helen - I didn't actually end up going ahead with the resurfacing. I ended up re-doing the whole bathroom, because it turns out the walls were actually the James Hardie Tile Sheets!

I gave that to the agent and specifically told them to make the tenant understood this was a resurfaced bath tub and provided they followed the instructions it would nice and new.

If they didnt follow instructions (eg chipped it and didnt say anything and it bubbled), the tenant would be responsible for any costs.

Great idea - i will definately do the same!

also I found Innerbaths from another post on somersoft! :D love you guys!

seems to be very popular in other states but frowned upon in the nations capital, it looks like a cheap option and it is, i think you should do it right and get the gains as well.

Back