Has anyone used Spanline?

I'm looking at a few options of increasing available space in my PPOR. One way is to add a semi-detached home office to the back of the house.

The quote for a 64sqm addition using the Spanline system was around $42K. That's a bit steep for my liking, but haven't ruled it out as an option yet since I suspect that the conventional way of building such an addition whithout the premanufactured panels might be more expensive .... I'll know when those quotes come in.

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has built with Spanline and what they think of the end result.

Are there other economical means of adding a semi-detached room to a house?

Desto,
i know nothing about spanline,why not build the office yourself under the
owner builder banner lic, subby all the work out ,i have built a home office one year ago out the back of one of our properties just keep in mind one thing in the design of the home office, from what i was told back then you have to have a seperate entrance doors to the office, apart from your main house for it to work for tax.not sure if this rule still stands..my materials costs for that job was 19k,the size of the ext,is 11 metres by 8 metres with a deck
in the middle and this was made out of hardwood ,glass,16 metres off the ground with views.
good luck
willair..

Willair,

The $19K sounds good for what you had constructed; my aim is max of around $25K for a slightly smaller size and definitely not 16m off the ground. How much was labour? That usually makes up about 2/3 of the entire cost.

I'd also need someone to draw up the plans, can you recommend somebody, seeing that you are on my side of the river :)

What was the cost of drawing the plans? Is a civil engineer necessary for this as well?

I have had a rear patio doen using Spanline 10M x 8M approx and it is fantastic.

Not chep but a seriously good qulity finish and product that T think will last a lifetime?

Very efficient and no 'loose threads'

Go for it?

Desto,

My brother worked for Spanline for many years, they are independant franchises all over the country. Their product is good and they do a full turn key job.

They will negotiate on price as well.

There are other pre fab companies as well so have a ring around. It's all only as good as the local franchise and the subbies that put it up for you. Perhaps ask them for 5 satisfied customers who you can call?

Go visit there places and have a look at their jobs. Ask for someone who has had it in for a few years, then the truth of the product will show.

Good way to go if you want a hands off approach

My Canberra cottages were apprently built by Spanline. They were built about 1987, I bought them in 2002.

They are good quality, they're great inside. After 15 years, they needed sprucing up- and there stll will be work between tenants in the next vacancy. But theres not been any big problems with the building itself (just the normal minor stuff).

However, they are aluminium clad in an area where every other house is brick. Being a battleaxe block, it doesn't matter as much- but they would look more at home beachside.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. I'll talk with the Spanline guy again, as well as a few local builders this week.

Definitely another learning experience. :)

Spanline not good

While it has been a while scince the last post on spanline - we had courtyard turned into a sunroom - the building inspecter called it the worst job he had seen and it leaks like sieve - incorrect weatering at the top - joints rusting out only 6 years after built and joints do not fit properly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back