Has Somersoft changed or have I?

I still check out the site when I'm wasting time [retired, remember] but seldom find any posts of interest. Wasn't always so.

I'll admit I don't miss some of the nasty debates that were prevalent but now it is so bland. Has the doubt about property prices always rising discouraged many, and if so why are alternatives not being discussed? Hobo and I are still considered kooks because of our belief in the metals. Don't know about Hobo, but my thoughts on the miners have changed markedly in the last six months, but nobody could know.

Anyone agree with my opening statement?

Actually I find that the environment is much better than it was.

Arriving a couple of years ago it was just very argumentative, so I moved onto other forums.

Returning more recently I found things had calmed down and it was worthwhile spending time on here.

I think what has happened is the bear camp who thought property will fall 40% based on their research seemed to have got it wrong so they have disappeared/quietened. Whereas the bull camp who thought property will continue to do what it did over last few years (ie. grow at 10%+) haven't had much luck either with property mostly going sideways over past few years with few gains and few loses here and there in between.

I think everyone is now playing the wait and watch game before they make their next move ie. buy or sell. The economic indicators are fairly mixed confusing most economist as to what to expect over the short term. No one is willing to make any predictions with strong convinctions.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I used to dip into the Motley Fool's Property Markets and Trends forum. The debate used to be rather heated between the bullish and bearish factions, but since the UK market stalled and basically meandered downwards (outside of London), neither side can really claim a definitive victory.

The market's neither rising nor falling at a great rate, but remains expensive. It's not that interesting from an investing point, there's been a tendency for old arguments to be dredged up and used to point out flawed predictions, and those who took positions (such as moving from owned to rented accommodation) have tended to buy back in.

A lot of people have drifted away, and it's got a bit boring.

The Fool board was always very bearish, though not as loony as the House Price crash forums, whereas Somersoft has tended to be bullish, with a few doom and gloomers here and there.

Property prices aren't shooting up as they were a few years back, so fewer people are buying in as a get rich scheme. However, they haven't fallen significantly as the doom and gloomers predicted. So perhaps the market's just a bit boring. Throw in restricted bank lending, and fewer people are doing stuff, so there's less to post about.

Personally, I'd like to hear more follow-ups. KeithJ hasn't posted about his LoE strategy for a while, and it'd be interesting to see where he is. How are the gold bugs doing now that the barbarous relic is down from it's peak, and bouncing in a range. And how about those who loaded up on leveraged share portfolios?

Edited to add: Which is pretty much what Oracle said, above. :D

I think that the market itself is pretty boring at present (not moving much either way), but the underlying economics are possibly fascinating. What's propping up Oz and the UK when much of the rest of the Western world is in the depths of a major property collapse?

A few of you are agreeing with me that things are a bit dull. As case in point, a topic which must have run to 50 pages was "What cup size are you?" (Three letter acronym [TLA] deleted here)

I think everyone is now playing the wait and watch game before they make their next move

I agree - I think most are just marking time. Nothing radical or exciting or terrifying is happening in the property world, in Australia, so nothing to get steamed up about either.

I've found I haven't been getting much out of the forum recently either ... but that may just be me reaching a plateau in my learning - moving in new directions - and happy with the current stable plan.

That being said ... I've read/started some great, and very useful threads that have clarified things in my mind, such as the SMSF shares.

A few of you are agreeing with me that things are a bit dull.

Yes, even the moderation has been pretty dull of late - nothing much requiring attention beyond the occasional over-enthusiastic newbie spruiking their wares.

I tend to agree with some of the suggestions already made - I think the market is a bit lacklustre at the moment and many investors are sitting on their hands, playing the waiting game.

I think what has happened is the bear camp who thought property will fall 40% based on their research seemed to have got it wrong so they have disappeared/quietened. Whereas the bull camp who thought property will continue to do what it did over last few years (ie. grow at 10%+) haven't had much luck either with property mostly going sideways over past few years with few gains and few loses here and there in between.

I think everyone is now playing the wait and watch game before they make their next move ie. buy or sell. The economic indicators are fairly mixed confusing most economist as to what to expect over the short term. No one is willing to make any predictions with strong convinctions.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Yep. Same with the stockmarket. Been rangebound for a few years now, not like in 07/08/09 where it was highly eratic. House prices are flat. Commodity boom has now platued out. Some of the labor government policies have now been implemented, like the carbon tax but too early for the righties to say "told ya so" and too early for the lefties to say "what was all the fuss about".

Pretty boring investing situation right now.

See ya's.

I dunno, is the lack of volatility such a bad thing? Sometimes it's nice to cool the heels and enjoy the view before popping the pack back on and continuing the hike up the mountain

Noticed there seems to be fewer posts lately, or is this just me.

In my own case, and I know in Jacque's case as well, we both have more clients than we've ever had, and we are busier than ever - leaving little time to post.

Maybe, we are all out there doing it, rather than on the forum discussing it :)

A few months ago the board peaked about 140 users online. Now its about 250 but doesn't translate to more discussion.

The users online count is generally meaningless - 75% of the site traffic is non-members who lurk and read but don't post, the users online count includes guests and bots. It's not an accurate measure of anything relating to site content really.

You have to remember there's only about 200-300 truly active posters on this board with maybe 15-20 people who post everyday so the numbers aren't big enough to translate to interesting discussions.

I guess that depends on how you define "interesting", I guess.

Perhaps you mean "controversial" ?

Either way, post volumes are no less now than they have been at any time in the past 5 years ... there's a lot of discussion happening, just less of it on "controversial" topics right now.

There's a heap of discussion every day by people who are out there investing and needing help with doing that. Nothing has changed there, and this has always been the main source of post traffic on the site. We tend to have a very "broad" range of threads with relatively few "deep" (ie long) threads. Quite different to some of the other sites I run.

As for "interesting" discussion, right now, there are less controversial topics to discuss, that's all. Interestingly, even though Somersoft seems quieter - the statistics don't really seem to back that up from what I've seen ... post volumes are still consistently up there where they've been for a few years now.

My favourite board currently has 13,682 people online so we get lots of interesting topics with input from people all around the world.

Don't forget that we are a niche site - Australian Real Estate Investing. Very different demographic.

The threads here that tend to get the most hits are usually gossip and inevitably get deleted at the request of a random poster who opened their mouth too much. Ironic they can request a whole thread be pulled after people take the time to compose a reply.

Our goal is not to create threads that get "the most hits". Our goal here is to discuss real estate. That's still happening, and very effectively.

The gossip threads don't inevitably get deleted. Sometimes they get moderated and some posts removed. Sometimes they get closed if they veer too far off topic and start to cause problems. Very rarely do they get deleted.

There is never a "random poster" who requests a thread get deleted. Usually in those circumstances the person making the request is the subject of the thread - the thread is talking about their personal situation specifically and in sufficient detail to potentially cause them problems outside of the forum. There's nothing random about those requests or our consideration of whether to delete them. We don't automatically delete such threads.

What happened to Aceyducey (i saw his ex wife Jas post the other day), thefirstbruce, Duncan, seechange, Bill.L etc. I think bad admin and mod decisions encourage some to leave or drift away.

As mentioned by another poster - many of them just got busy. AceyDucey is still around and has been very active in the government sector. You should follow him on Twitter - he has a lot of interesting things to say. Just not much about real estate these days.

As for "bad" decisions? That's a very subjective measure. We stand by our decisions and those decisions are almost never irreversible (and often are reversed - threads get reinstated, people get unbanned, etc).

What actually happens in many cases is that people get annoyed because they don't get their way all the time. They break the rules that we set for the site and can't stand being told off, so they take their bat and ball and go home. Most of them drift back eventually, some become valuable contributors to the site, others end up getting banned again and again because they never get that they could ever be wrong and aren't prepared to listen to our point of view.

There are certainly some posters who get "encouraged" to leave - but only as a direct result of their actions. There have been some very annoying posters over the years who have never been banned, since their actions never warranted such actions. Some are still active posters and arguably, valuable members of the community.

For the most part - the members who are no longer active have found more important things to do with their lives. I do stay in touch with quite a few members who are no longer actively posting. Their reasons are many and varied. People come and go - such is the nature of communities like this.

Personally, I find theres just the same 10 anti property posters who ever write anything these days, all the good ones are gone.

When I first joined SS (back in 2005 under another username) almost everyone was excellent! And a wealth of knowledge, the opposite could be more prevalent on todays SS. But I only joined to learn so that I had the knowledge to become financially indipendant. 6 years later I have my plan and continue to replicate it. Mission accomplished.

I do however like the new posters who are in the same boat I was in once, and the odd few who have been around a long time. I'm mainly sick of hearing the D&G that should be reserved for the working standard media mentality types.

Personally, I find theres just the same 10 anti property posters who ever write anything these days, all the good ones are gone.

When I first joined SS (back in 2005 under another username) almost everyone was excellent! And a wealth of knowledge, the opposite could be more prevalent on todays SS. But I only joined to learn so that I had the knowledge to become financially indipendant. 6 years later I have my plan and continue to replicate it. Mission accomplished.

I do however like the new posters who are in the same boat I was in once, and the odd few who have been around a long time. I'm mainly sick of hearing the D&G that should be reserved for the working standard media mentality types.

What about you ? You're here ?

Or are you part of the 10 baddies ?

In my own case, and I know in Jacque's case as well, we both have more clients than we've ever had, and we are busier than ever - leaving little time to post.

Maybe, we are all out there doing it, rather than on the forum discussing it :)

Yep. Very busy but sadly still a forum addict :D
I'd rather read than hang out the washing or vacuum.... so probably spend too much time on here than I should!

Mr Fish,

I don't think it's any better or worse.

I disregard blatant permabull propaganda as much as I disregard permabear propaganda.

It's there to add thought to a debate though.

I don't think you're a kook for being pro-metals, nor Hobo. I, myself, am pro-metal - but why that has to make one automatically anti-property has got me stumped - both do well in high-inflation environments.

Cheers,
A.

Back