Has Somersoft changed or have I?

I think what has happened is the bear camp who thought property will fall 40% based on their research seemed to have got it wrong so they have disappeared/quietened. Whereas the bull camp who thought property will continue to do what it did over last few years (ie. grow at 10%+) haven't had much luck either with property mostly going sideways over past few years with few gains and few loses here and there in between.

More property has gone down than up.
Maybe there's no point leading the blind, unless you lead them to bankruptcy and buy their assets from the administrator.

So buy up big peeps, real estate never goes down, you can't lose.

More property has gone down than up.
Maybe there's no point leading the blind, unless you lead them to bankruptcy and buy their assets from the administrator.

So buy up big peeps, real estate never goes down, you can't lose.

But from when, I bought in 2007 and all have gone up.

When I worked in Development I was told but a experienced boss, you make your profit when you buy it. Buy at a really good price and you do well. That rule still applies.

Peter

Well I was one of the bears who use to post here a lot up until early 2009. The Bears were expecting the fallout from the US to affect the market here, and many of us had different theories about what would happen when it did. Some thought there would be 90% falls, some of us thought prices might flatten for an extended period, so there was no point rushing in, some were in between those two extremes.

I expect those who were hoping for big price crashes have been disappointed. The more sensible bears have probably been getting on with things.

I saw prices falling in Brisbane and found a property that met my needs, then started renovating, along with having a couple kids. Two things happened, I went from being time rich to time poor, and my interest in property prices diminished, my interest in getting tradies to site took over. So even though my available time has recently improved to a point I could keep posting bearishly about property prices, my interest factor is pretty small.

I might start thinking about it again when the financial markets get over their current problems, it is unknown how long that will take.

???

You are asking have I bought in these years or have I seen them values go up?

If the first, yes one villa in 2010. Paid $230k and recent sale was $225k which was not as good a position between two where we were in the sun only shared with one. So overall no increase in 12 months.

Values.

Depends where.

VIC I would say been flat since 2009 but rose 2007 to 2009 about 30%.Rents say 25%.

SYD 2007 to 2013 doing 5% each year. Rent much higher say 10%

Am I happy? well what is my strategy.

STRATEGY
I strongly believe having a clear strategy. Peter Spann and others have said this is essential.
My strategy was sell IP to pay off PPOR. DONE
Move to Country and buy dual occ site. DONE
Build Retirement Portfolio. ON ITS WAY.
Development Dual OCC. STALLED NO TIME
Setbacks, some evicted tenants in VIC

Property is long term game. Each area is different. As long as rents stay stable and rise and are paid I am OK with the above. Construction Costs keep going up.

At the moment as stated Gold Coast is undervalued in my opinion. You cannot build it for what they are selling and rents are high. At the bottom IMO.

Does this answer you.

Peter

I think any mod on SS should not be allowed to have a sig which contains a link to their business or defines them as offering a service for financial benefit.

christ - it's the internet, not a government agency open to public audit.

this site is very well google-indexed, it's full of likeminded property folk who are here to learn, engage and promote property.

so what if a mod has a link in their sig?

Reactions: Sim
I think any mod on SS should not be allowed to have a sig which contains a link to their business or defines them as offering a service for financial benefit.

I would argue otherwise. I would prefer to know what they do for living or what their interests are alinged with so I can judge their view!

I would argue otherwise. I would prefer to know what they do for living or what their interests are alinged with so I can judge their view!

Agree. In fact the last thing you want in Mod of Property Site is someone with no interest or experience in property?

Peter 14.7

I've been around since SS's birth many weboards ago....over the years I have noticed new waves of newbies come and go with each pending property cycle as property comes in and out of favour. Some stick around but most go.

Does anyway know what happened to Alex Lee? I used to always enjoy his comments.

Alex and I would fight like cats and dogs. Was a Mod. Last I saw he still was.

They were the days when I was always in trouble with Sim. We're over that now aren't we Sim?

Sim! Don't throw that keyboard. :D

My first account with SS was Jan 2002 so i've been here a lot longer than you and know the mods do a good job. I remember when Spiderman was known as Peter Parker and Y-Man and Dazz were posting only on Steve McKnight's board before registering here and i remember when James signed up when he was working as a REA and his dad was still active here. I also remember when you first registered and made a real effort with your spelling and grammar before going the likes of Bluecard and not starting a sentence with a capital letter.. good to see you back.

Someone mentioned mods aren't paid and that's the way it works in the board world which are 99% profit free. Board owners like Ian & Jan are happy to stump up the ~$1000 a year to pay for hosting and servers, just like millions of other board owners around the world do.

I've worked as a mod, i have mates who are admin and mods on much larger boards which would take up more time than a SS mod and they do it for the love. We have to make sure mods are distributed in Europe, North America and the south pacific (Oz and NZ) so that there's always a few mods on duty.

We have over 40 mods now, 80,000 members and >2 million posts. The mods do it for the love and that's why there can never be any recourse that they're selfless martyrs. If they don't like it or find it's taking up too much of their time then they simply quit like others have done before, e.g. Peter, Asy, Les and Geoff in the case of SS.

Some mates who mod on other boards did it because they had a barrow to push and were trying to pick up customers. We put a stop to that by not allowing any mods to have a sig that related to their business or profession. They are still welcome to provide advice but without any perceived under current to pick up customers. I think this is fair for the boards i'm concerned with as many are restaurant and bar owners.

At SS, some who became mods tend not to post at all which can be shame when we lose great posters such as Alex and Keith who posted a lot of good info before taking up mod duty's. Maybe they got jaded or burnt out.

Shuggy,

Can I ask, why are you here?

You seem to simply want to put a contrary view to anyone, show no respect, take words out of context, take cheap shots, insert your own views and never reply to clear requests?

Is it only to "verbally have a go" at people?

Why did you need to take 2 cheap shots a Lizzie?

I am have been longer (in another name so believe me) and then chided her grammar. Well mate , you are Shuggy, you are 502 posts. Past lives don't count. Lizzie is 9,036 posts, they count, she wins.

And I can care if they are not grammar / spelling perfect along as they are relevant.

As someone who claims to be "associated" with 800,00 members elsewhere, I would have thought you would consider that English may be her second language and she may have worked very hard to post her but you just took a cheap shot on how pleased you are she is back.

Reply to this, go me, bring it.

Peter 14.7

Agree. In fact the last thing you want in Mod of Property Site is someone with no interest or experience in property?

Peter 14.7

Why not? Is Sim's primary interest RE or IT? I honestly don't know.

But I see where things have gone. SS has gone back to it's roots as a sombre bunch of landlords swapping yarns. I sold out of my property some time ago and never did know much about the nitty gritty anyhow. Only hung around for the chat I guess.

Baring my soul to bankers and constantly doing finance applications is the pits for me. Bought a new car recently and could have financed it @ 5% but couldn't bring myself to do the application, so wrote a cheque. My interest has always been the broad canvas and where property should fit into a portfolio of assets. The thought of "retiring" with 20 IPs is totally alien to me. Sounds more like a prison sentence. I always drive with my eyes on the horizon and I try to invest the same way.

A few of us used to have spirited discussions about this, but no more. Everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

What happens when you don't look in the rear vision mirrors and keep going foward,only to find out a total slow down in the miners and rear ended by a dump truck..
It only needs a quick glance to check the mirrors. But I think I know where you're coming from: I am more leery of the miners than I was. This MRRT is the wake-up call, with cash strapped governments world wide joining in the Great Rip Off. But I was calling the bull run ten years ago. Not too bad for an amateur. :D

I am seriously looking at the Perth Mint certificate program now. What is a retired gentleman to do?

Why not? Is Sim's primary interest RE or IT? I honestly don't know.

But I see where things have gone. SS has gone back to it's roots as a sombre bunch of landlords swapping yarns. I sold out of my property some time ago and never did know much about the nitty gritty anyhow. Only hung around for the chat I guess.

Baring my soul to bankers and constantly doing finance applications is the pits for me. Bought a new car recently and could have financed it @ 5% but couldn't bring myself to do the application, so wrote a cheque. My interest has always been the broad canvas and where property should fit into a portfolio of assets. The thought of "retiring" with 20 IPs is totally alien to me. Sounds more like a prison sentence. I always drive with my eyes on the horizon and I try to invest the same way.

A few of us used to have spirited discussions about this, but no more. Everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

Maybe your right but SS is a property website so it attracts property interested people. I have been on a diet site, some renovation, builders site, subaru and Hot Copper. Most don't hold my interest.

Each to their own. I have had some shares and don't like the lack of control and constant monitoring. Some would say property is the same. With two recent renovations due to evictions I am a bit weathered.

Overall, I think a wide portfolio is best. My super is shares usually, (presently in cash) so that my balance. Whilst keen on IP it is not always good times, it is long term.

regards

Peter 14.7

What is a retired gentleman to do?
Don't know with all the talk within the Labor Government to deal in all the billion dollar babies big :Clive'ect ,,miners and slow it all down you would want to keep a close eye on the miner as it;s only less then 100 days till the carbon tax comes in then it;s open to anyones guess..

Moderation at work. Sorry folks.

It's not just the bad words- its the bad tone and the denigration of other posters.

Unfortunately Peter's post helped set the tone.

Back