Hastings Vic

I know Hastings is a bit of a ***** hole but with the new Port Of Hastings docklands being planned for the future and the Frankston Bypass can anyone see a demand for property with wharfies wanting to buy and live locally?

I know Hastings is a bit of a ***** hole but with the new Port Of Hastings docklands being planned for the future and the Frankston Bypass can anyone see a demand for property with wharfies wanting to buy and live locally?

Not sure about wharfies but remember there is also HMAS Cerberus nearby with many Naval people not wanting to live on the base. My eldest son rented privately in Hastings for quite a time while there doing his training.

What is the median price? From memory it was in the vicinity of $450k. Given the distance from the city, the absence of a train-line and infrastructure like hospitals, university etc it would not be my cup of tea. But I guess if you had family there or worked at Cerebus it'd be fine.

For me, there's better value to be had elsewhere. For what you'd pay for a house in Hastings you'd get an immaculate house on a dual occ site in one of the better areas of Frankston or Seaford. But that's just my personal opinion and my priority is development and making money rather than a PPOR.

The median prices are to be found here: http://data1.reiv.com.au/trendchart/default.aspx
Can't seem to find Hastings, maybe the data has yet to be released.

What is the median price? From memory it was in the vicinity of $450k. Given the distance from the city, the absence of a train-line and infrastructure like hospitals, university etc it would not be my cup of tea. But I guess if you had family there or worked at Cerebus it'd be fine.

$450k sounds way too high. I'd say nearer $300k http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=sp&s=vic&u=hastings

If it was much higher than the low 300s anything in Carrum Downs (itself not the handiest of spots) would offer better value.

What is the median price? From memory it was in the vicinity of $450k. Given the distance from the city, the absence of a train-line .......

Hastings does have a train line, albeit a diesel Vline service back to Frankston.
Not sure how regular it is but better than not having one at all..

G.

Hastings does have a train line, albeit a diesel Vline service back to Frankston.
Not sure how regular it is but better than not having one at all..

Hastings has about 80 - 120 minutes on average between trains, along with an hourly bus service. Hence a need to carefully plan trips to avoid long waits. A trip to the city leaves little change out of 2 hours ie not much different to (say) Ballarat or Moe and far longer than Geelong.

Whereas Mt Eliza and Mornington has no train but gets buses every 20 min until 10pm, 7 days/week, ie much better.

Hastings has about 80 - 120 minutes on average between trains, along with an hourly bus service. Hence a need to carefully plan trips to avoid long waits. A trip to the city leaves little change out of 2 hours ie not much different to (say) Ballarat or Moe and far longer than Geelong.

Whereas Mt Eliza and Mornington has no train but gets buses every 20 min until 10pm, 7 days/week, ie much better.

Fair point. I didn't realise the service was that bad.

I stand corrected. I even took it once, full of bogans albeit pleasant ones.
Well, if you're gonna run into bogans on trains you should make sure they are the pleasant variety :)

We take our son over to Pelican Park Aquatic Centre for swimming lessons every week.

Have been going there since he was very young; nice drive over there, and we make an outing of it by sitting in the cafe attached to it for dinner or lunch afterwards. There is a great gym attached to it as well, and a terrific park with swings and lovely walks right next door.

Nice to watch the Pelicans at the pier get fed by the guy from the fish shack.

The "shoppin' cenna" is alright; all the modern take-aways are there too, Safeway is there, Bunnings not there yet (I think) but no doubt on the horizon.

The demographic is very, very bogan-esque; very shazza-dazza with an overload of hoons and their chariots chuggin' around I'm afraid, but I reckon the longer term prospects for the area can only be good.

Why? because it's got the train (not a major factor, but helps), it's still reasonably cheap and the amenities are pretty good. Close to Frangers and the hospital and so on.

I've never bought there as we had other things taking up our available funds, and I think the rent return stinks for mine.

If you are happy with cr@p rent returns, and in it for the longer term buy and hold; then it's a good prospect I believe.

Watch out for Somerville as well.

Back