have you ever done anything like this?

Hold your breath when you walk inside and don't touch anything.

Something for everyone:
*an untouched sparse yard with old structures including the outhouse
*a mouldy bathroom/laundry
*holes in the ceiling
*v. old, small and tacky kitchen
*some floorboards may need replacing
*sleepout can (and should) be kicked in
*sagging concrete/cement patio
*ineffective tin roof

There are some redeeming features:
*double-brick (cracking to be fixed)
*old hardwood timber floors
*cedar window frames
*stained glass
*pressed tin ceiling in some rooms
*a small house (I like small houses) with east facing yard
* modest but house-proud street

Last edited:
That's nothing, wait till you see the dump I'm looking at. Don't know how anyone ever lived there. Will post pics after I am accepted/rejected for the offer.

Yes, been down this road.... description

1900 period home

Rolling limestone footings due 25 years of water damage causing structural damage, cracks where you could see the sunshine from inside.

Damaged wooden door frames that have been filled with something, not sure plaster I think.

Fireplaces which have been completely painted, tiles, wood, everything.

Vegemite lids for kitchen door handles

jock straps and dead rats behind the oven.

Holes in the wall where some wanna be renovator forgot to patch up after his handywork.

Sagging ceilings

Floor boards that don't meet the outer walls because the walls are not straight, actually they moved out due to structural damage.

Outdoor laundry somehow connected to the main house with makeshift fibro sheets, no floor, just sand.

There are just some that come to mind it been a while now, its OK folks I am still here and still sane:)... Renovated and sold 6 years ago now.

Hey good to see, MTR!
And would you do it again?

OK nhg - already in there with an offer. Looking forward to some pictures.

It is sad - most of these neglected places had very old people in them. I guess they didn't ask anyone to do anything to them because they didn't want to risk getting taken away by a do-gooder.

anyway...

Last edited:
MTR,From memory(I maybe getting you mixed up with another poster)was that one you lived in near and or across from a school?

Ps.Just checking if the omega 3's are working.

Hey good to see, MTR!
And would you do it again?

OK nhg - already in there with an offer. Looking forward to some pictures.

It is sad - most of these neglected places had very old people in them. I guess they didn't ask anyone to do anything to them because they didn't want to risk getting taken away by a do-gooder.

anyway...

No, never do it again, too much stress, but hey that's me, others will love the challenge, what was I thinking at the time of purchase, my father never spoke to me for one week. All good now.

MTR,From memory(I maybe getting you mixed up with another poster)was that one you lived in near and or across from a school?

Ps.Just checking if the omega 3's are working.

That's funny, because I am a broken record, yes opposite a school, purchase price $185K sold it 16 years later for $1.325M, spent around 40K renovating, fixing, cleaned it up no extension, hard yakka, never do it again.

Not a bad profit MTR - I'd say it was worth it.
Can't see this one going for that price in the near or distant future. But would probably cost the same amount to repair.

As a matter of interest, how did you 're-marry' the floorboards to the walls?

Sweet...and the omega 3's are working :p

My memory has served without checking into your previous posts,way to comsuming...

Hold your breath when you walk inside and don't touch anything.

Something for everyone:
*an untouched sparse yard with old structures including the outhouse
*a mouldy bathroom/laundry
*holes in the ceiling
*v. old, small and tacky kitchen
*some floorboards may need replacing
*sleepout can (and should) be kicked in
*sagging concrete/cement patio
*ineffective tin roof

There are some redeeming features:
*double-brick (cracking to be fixed)
*old hardwood timber floors
*cedar window frames
*stained glass
*pressed tin ceiling in some rooms
*a small house (I like small houses) with east facing yard
* modest but house-proud street

I lived in that except some idiot went through it in the 70s and took out all the wooden window frames and put in aluminum ones, took out the transome above the front door and make it square with the lovely kitch door, fireplaces bricked over with gas heaters.

Thankfully they left the Axminster carpet as that stopped us going through the floorboards. The possums played soccer or UFC up in the roof

Not a bad profit MTR - I'd say it was worth it.
Can't see this one going for that price in the near or distant future. But would probably cost the same amount to repair.

As a matter of interest, how did you 're-marry' the floorboards to the walls?

He covered it with quarter rounds largest he could find, something like this, and also a filler, it worked, looked pretty good. Another solution would be to carpet, hides millions of sins, but then if you have beautiful wide jarrah floor boards you would not do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lIcEptaQ6c

Back