Having a go: 1984 small business video

Thanks for posting that Spiderman

Interesting seeing "real people" doing "real work" in manufacturing and design.....something that is now long lost to other countries.

I particularly enjoyed the comments by John Almgren regarding calculators from Taiwan.....if only he had known what was coming.

Just out of curiosity I did a bit of "internet research...:eek:"

Turns out JN Almgren was bought out by Lucent in 1998......who I think the ended up as part of Alcatel.

"Knitwit" is still around although I'm not sure really as what..??

Paul Wrights shoe and dance wear business was bought by a New Zealand company in 2006.......now all their products are made in Indonesia.

The nursery company has merged with another and is still trading albeit under a new name....

Could not find anything on the Perth engineering company....although they could have morphed into anything (Dawson Eng in Qld?? or Dawson Eng in the UK...??)

Did enjoy the footage of Nth Rankin A though, my young blokes out there atm.....I'll have to show him this clip and point out the older style of PPE ....:cool:

Once again, thanks for posting it.

Ciao

Nor

I had a poke around re Knitwit as well. They're around but very much reduced - closed their stores in the early '90s and I think they're buy in rather than design stuff. The founder moved on/sold up many moons ago and is a franchising consultant or similar.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed that.

I think the keys points that were reiterated at the end of the programme still hold true today.

• Make sure you have a plan of where you are going. (Woodlyn Nursery)
  • Look for niches within your industry (Paul Wright)
  • If something isn't working, look for other ways of doing it ( Dawson)
  • Know when to stop doing everything yourself (Knitwit)
  • Quality people are key. (JN Almgren)

Back