Heading to VCAT

I will post a brief description of the issues and questions first and then a longer history to explain the situation better. We are due to move out in 4 weeks and I just want an idea of what sort of crap fight we are in for as we have never had to deal with VCAT before

In our current rental (Vic) there is damage to the tiles in the bathroom and laundry caused by a stump problem, there is a line of tiles (7 in total) that cracked when we had a run of hot days and you can now feel the floor movement underneath when you walk on them, the glass splashback in the kitchen also cracked at the same time, on the exterior wall behind the splashback there is a clear crack in the brickwork that runs from the ground until mid way up the house with a matching crack running from the ground to just beneath the bathroom window. The PM says the damage was not on the condition report therefore she believes we are liable, I reported the issue by phone when I first noticed the cracking tiles as it wasn’t really a maintenance request so there is no record of it. The LL has told me he does not have the money to fix the foundations so if he can get some or our entire bond he is willing to try as the PM has told him that VCAT will side with him as there is no record of the issue being reported.

If they apply to VCAT to keep our bond am I going to have to get a building inspection to prove the issue is with the house foundations or will photos of the exterior damage be sufficient?

Will VCAT hold it against us that there is no record of the issue being reported?

We were served a 60 day notice to vacate as the LL’s Aunt was supposed to move in, she is no longer moving in and the house is back up for lease (the long version is below). According to the Consumer Affairs website they are not supposed to re-let the property until they get a VCAT ruling or 6 months form the end of our lease, when I asked the PM about it she laughed it off and said there is no such rule and even if there was VCAT will do nothing as it is the LL’s right to ask tenants to leave. I have no problem with them serving the notice at the time his Aunt was supposed to move in and we had already planned to move, we were aware from the start that the notice was not really valid as the Aunt does not reside with the LL presently so if we wanted to fight it we could have but chose not to, but now with the PM making threats about VCAT and them seeking not only the bond but also compensation I am pretty annoyed and am wondering if we should pre-empt their claim with ours so that we don’t seem to be retaliating. On the other hand though I do not want to punish what has been a good LL just because the current PM is a cow.

Is there a way for the PM to get a kick in the pants without actually penalising the LL?

Should we wait to file until after we move out? If we do will VCAT see it as retaliation for them seeking the bond?

What could we seek compensation for if we chose to go ahead with the claim?

They want to bring prospective tenants through on Monday & Wednesday, I agreed even though to be honest it is a pain as we have relatives staying for the week and the house is a pig sty with the piles of items and clothes to be donated to the Salvos, go to the tip, boxes everywhere etc. I suggested that maybe we could agree on a time during the week that suited everybody so that both lots of tenants come through together, that was shrugged off with a comment as long as she gave us 24 hours notice they could enter anyway. I commented that when we last rented 12 years the PM and I agreed on a time during the week and all tenants were bought through in the same 30 min period each week in the 3 weeks leading up to us vacating. She told me that it is at the new tenants convenience to when they come through. Previously when we rented I thought the rule was that tenant were only shown through in the last 14 days of the tenancy.

Am I crazy or were new tenants only supposed to be shown through in the last 14 days? When did this change if it isn't a figment of my imagination?

Should written notice be served or is a message on the answering machine sufficient?

Is is unreasonable to suggest a time so all people come through together only once a week?

The more the PM pushes the boundaries the more I am pushing back and am at the stage where I am going to demand that all rules be followed to the letter of the law with no flexibility given, even if it to the detriment of getting our bond back.

Thanks in advance for any advice
From a newbie

**** HISTORY *****.

We have been tenants at our current property since June 2008, for the first 2 years we had a great relationship with the PM and LL. Any repairs that needed doing were scheduled straight away, the LL carried them all out himself so we saw and spoke to him a few times over the 2 years. Due to the good relationship we both had a bit of flexibility. When we moved in we were assured the property would not be put up for sale as our previous rental was placed on the market the day after we signed our lease and to be honest it was annoying as some sales agents do not care about the tenants’ rights and just ride roughshod over them. Anyway after 6 months our current rental was placed on the market the PM asked us to sign a 12 months lease as the house was being marketed as a IP, we spoke to the LL and said we would not sign again while the property was on the market as we wanted to leave if the sales agents were being a pain. He agreed to leave us on a month to month basis so we were all happy. To cut a long story short the sales agents (the principal agents wife) constantly breeched our rights the worst one showing up on our doorstep on a Saturday morning insisting that they needed to bring a buyer through in 3 hours as he only had one day in town and had travelled 400km to see a different property but our house was better suited. I agreed after a stern talking to the agent as I knew the LL was desperate to sell due to a change in work, they then came back 1 hour before the inspection as they did not have a key. Anyway after her going to get a key cut and returning my set we left and returned to the property after 1 hour only for the agent let herself in 2 hours after the agreed upon time and not see my issue even though we were clearly home as the car was on the driveway, TV on etc. The buyer walked in lounge room took a look asked me what I paid per week in rent, turned the agents and said you know this is not what we wanted why show me the property and walked out, all up he was here less than 2 mins. In the 2 years only 5 prospective buyers were shown through and they had 4 no shows so we stayed as we could leave with 28 days notice and were looking to buy ourselves so we were not tied into a fixed lease.

After that incident we rang the principal agent he brushed us off and the PM went into bat for us and told them it was not good enough etc and recommended for us to put it in writing. That of course soured ours and her relationship with the agency. So skip to Dec last year and we were due for our 6 monthly inspection, we received notice on Friday from a new PM (dated on Monday, post marked on Friday though) that they would be carrying out the inspection on the following Monday, I rang as said why we were happy for them to carry out the inspection but that more notice should have been given, she insisted that she had posted the letter on the Monday morning therefore she gave us enough notice to cover the 2 day mailing, I just let it roll as she is quite young and new to PMing.

The LL chose to attend the inspection and started topush that obviously we must like the property as we stayed so long so we should buy it and he would offer us a good deal. We declined and told them we were currently negotiating a contract of sale on another property and were due to settle in mid March but were planning on ending the tenancy at the start if April as we wanted to paint and sand floors etc before moving in. He then commented that he needed to take down the For Sale sign on his way out as the house had been off the market for 5 months now and he had asked the agent to remove the sign numerous times. When I pointed out that we had a buyer through about 6 weeks previously he was not happy and had a bit of a nark as at the PM, he then asked me how the sales agents treated us and I told him of a couple of the incidents and that was the first he had heard of them and he thought they were behaving. About 2 hours after the inspection both the PM and the principal agent rang to apologise for these incidents and I thought that was the end of it.

About a week later the PM rang us and told us that we needed to sign a new 6 months lease or we would be served notice to vacate. After about a week of back and forth between us with us saying we would not sign as we were now committed to buy in mid March, the PM served us a 60 day notice to vacate. Our tenancy was now due to terminate about 4 weeks before our settlement, we wrote to them and asked to be allowed to stay until 5 days after our settlement, the offer was refuted with we would be allowed to stay only if we signed the new 6 month lease. So we went back to our vendor and asked if we could settle earlier, the earliest they could bring settlement forward was 2 weeks with us agreeing to them not needing to clean the property and us hiring a cleaner to clean our rental on the day after we moved with this we got our leaving date down to 2 weeks after the end of the 60 day notice period. We asked for an extension again and were told that we needed to be out on the date or they would evict us the next day. By this time I was very annoyed by the lack of flexibility so sent a letter saying that we would be out 2 weeks late and we could not leave any earlier, they rang and told us they would apply to VCAT at our cost and seek compensation, I just said do whatever they wished, currently the wait for a VCAT hearing is about 6 weeks here and we would be out by then and if they applied they it would not cost us any fees. She told us they would seek lost rent, when I pointed out that they wouldn’t lose any as we would still be paying she huffed and hung up.

Now onto the notice, they 60 day notice was issued as his Aunt was due to move into the house, when I rang and queried where the Aunt currently resided she said the Aunts lease was due to end the second week of March when I pointed out that the Aunt had to actually reside with LL for the notice to be valid she told me I was wrong, I told her to check with Consumer Affairs and we would be happy to let the notice stand unchallenged if the LL agreed for us to stay the extra 2 weeks (I know it was blackmail) She rang back about an hour later and was insistent that her info was correct, she had checked with VCAT when I sent a link with the info she replied with an email stating that she was wrong and the Aunt did live with the LL so the notice was valid. Once again I stated that we would not be out until 2 weeks after the notice but as the Aunts lease ran out 6 days after we handed the keys back that it should be enough time for her to move in. The PM replied that she would no longer communicate with me as I did not listen, I was fine with that.

Two weeks ago we a had major storm and the roof in our rental started to leak as it was after hours (approx 7pm) and I had no emergency contact details for the PM (only the previous PM and the phone number was out of service) I rang the principal agent and asked her to deal with it, the PM rang me back and was insistent that I should tarp the roof, I refused and said that I would place a bucket under the leak and she should contact the LL to see what he wanted to do with the roof. After about 30 mins the LL turned up to tarp the roof so we got to speaking. He asked why we were refusing to leave and when I said that we only wanted the extra 2 weeks he was astonished as the PM had told him that we flat out refused to leave and we were causing trouble. He said he would just double check when his Aunt needed to be out of her rental but 2 weeks should not be an issue. I then asked if it was so urgent that we got out why the PM kept insisting that we could stay if we signed a new 6 month lease and he commented that he was clear that he never offered us a further 6 months as he wanted to minimise the disruption to his Aunt.

Last week the switch in the switch board for the electric hot water started to act up, about every 3 days it would not heat overnight so I put in a repair request in person with the PM and the admin assistant standing guard (it was actually quite funny) on Friday arvo, along with a request to repair the dishwasher as the pump had burnt out that morning. When I did not hear back I just thought he would not fix the dishwasher as then he did not have to maintain it for his Aunt and as I could heat the water during the day it was not an urgent repair. Yesterday (Thursday) I still had not heard back so I rang and asked when the repairs would take place as the hot water was annoying as it would never fully heat unless I flipped it to day rate and I was now using more hot water as I no longer had a dishwasher, she denied that I had put a request in, after talking to the admin assistant she told me it must have been lost in shuffle between the admin desk and hers even though I handed the request directly to her, once again I just gritted my teeth and accepted it.

This afternoon I receive a phone call to say that the LL will repair the stuff on Monday I said fine and commented that I had noticed the house was now up for lease again and she must have received permission from VCAT fast to re tenant before the 6 month exclusion period, she told me that there was no such rule. Once again I sent her the relevant link and she says it does not apply as the aunt was going to move in when the notice was issued so they can re tenant the property without going through VCAT as the circumstances changed after the notice was server. Consumer Affairs has told us that they cannot even advertise the property until they get a ruling from VCAT that they can re-tenant the property, she then advised us that we can apply to VCAT to either stay (not interested) or seek compensation for the hassle of having to move.

The principal agent has stated that they are happy with the PM’s results and when I replied that she gets the results because she bullies and breeches tenant’s rights she just laughed it off and said well they are still results so I don’t see the PM getting a lecture from her boss. So in a nutshell 2 years of a great relationship between the LL and us has gone to crap because of a crap PM and now we are both annoyed with each other and unwilling to bend on the issues mentioned above.

Wow crazy Chicken I think I got a stitch just from reading that. I am fortunate after 12+years of investing to have never gone to VCAT, but I would think its pointless you lodging anything with them. My feeling would be the damage will come down to wear and tear with the tiles not too sure about the splashback but you need to take out all the he said she said part of what you have, any conversation you had with them will also be classified as irrelevant and take along all the written communications. Just because a landlord is short of funds is not a justifiable reason to seek compensation. What you have referenced here you may be able to give as forwarding information but they are taking you to VCAT for purpose of the bond and thats all

Jezza

I haven't read the whole story yet but just reading your first bit, I would take photos of the crack in the external wall behind the cracked splashback and photos of the stumps causing the cracked tiles. This alone should prove you are not to blame for any damage.

I would think the tribunal would laugh at her claim that you pay for any of it, especially if you have photos showing damage to the building foundations.

And if the agent wants to give 24 hours' notice (in writing I believe - not email - but check this), then let them bring the new tenants through but leave everything in a mess :D. If the agent is being a cow, I would do nothing to assist her.

You need to familiarise yourself with everything in here:

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256902000FE154/Lookup/CAV_Publications_Renting/$file/RentingComplete.pdf

The link above didn't hot up - so go to the link below and find the Renting A Home - guide for tenants on the Forms and Publications page.
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256EB5000644CE/page/Renting?OpenDocument&1=910-Renting~&2=~&3=~

Page 19 will tell you about entry to the premises when the property is for sale. I had a quick look and you may well be correct - it could be only in the last 14 days - but read it backwards forwards and inside out before you go to VCAT and in any dealings with the PM.

Remember one thing from this - everything in business - and the landlord/tenant relationship is the most basic of businesses - must be in writing.

I haven't read the whole story yet but just reading your first bit, I would take photos of the crack in the external wall behind the cracked splashback and photos of the stumps causing the cracked tiles. This alone should prove you are not to blame for any damage.

I would think the tribunal would laugh at her claim that you pay for any of it, especially if you have photos showing damage to the building foundations.

And if the agent wants to give 24 hours' notice (in writing I believe - not email - but check this), then let them bring the new tenants through but leave everything in a mess :D. If the agent is being a cow, I would do nothing to assist her.

I'm with wylie. take a shower during inspections?

Your PM is an idiot, and has no clue about what she is doing or the RTA.

1. I really would not worry about the tiles and going to VCAT, i am really surprised they are taking it. To put it simply, if the tenant was at fault for a cracked tile, there would also be evidence of a 'smash point' where they had dropped something to cause the crack. If that isn't present then cracking tiles are a result of movement within the house. VCAT ALWAYS leans towards the tenants. If you can provide some doubt then you will win. If you have a friend who is in the building trade, get them to write a report which may give you a little extra backing.

2. Under the RTA when an owner serves a tenant with a NTV, they are not permitted to re-lease the property for a period of 6 months and must got to VCAT to get permission and provide evidence of how/why the circumstances have changed. this is PM 101, again your PM is an idiot!

3. If i was in your shoes i would also be forcing the RTA rule that states that you are not required to allow inspections until the final 14 days of your tenancy. Hold them to this. They may threaten to take you to the tribunal to get access, let them, the Tribunal member will tear shreds off them for not knowing the legislation.

I really cant stand PMS who don't know the basics of the legislation, it gives the rest of us a bad name!!

Finally my last piece of advice - DO NOT DO/SAY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT IN WRITING

Good luck!

i have been to VCAT over the number of years - i din read your whole post just the 1st bit.

Just make sure you itemized your time as in how long you spend on this issue.
So you would have 1 hour checking the paperwork, 1 hour travel to VCAT, fuel cost, stresss --> psychologist bills etc etc. Bring you group certificate or last tax return so in the event it goes your way you can counter claim

My issues were mainly with builders, electricians the lot - who try to cut corners and ask me to pay up. One crew even took my apartment hostage an demanding money.

PUt it this way - going to VCAT is not that bad - treat it like an experience. don't let anyone bully you around.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I contacted the Tenants Union this morning and they offered some advice on how to deal with the PM without punishing the LL, I have now lodged a complaint through EARS (Estate Agents Resolution Service), once we have tried to mediate I can then lodge a complaint with Consumer Affairs to ask them to prosecute the PM for the breaches. While I do not really need to go through EARS first as I have already tried to resolve the issue with the Officer in Charge of the agency it will look favourable to us that we gave her another chance to rectify the situation. The TUV rep suggested that they may offer compensation to avoid prosecution as apparently Consumer Affairs don't like ignorant agents who like to use lack of knowledge as an excuse. Personally I would love for it go further just so it is marked on her record.

I also dropped a copy of the complaint to the Officer in Control as he had not responded to my complaint I sent him in Dec as well as a letter into the PM this morning stating that I would allow the two already scheduled tenant inspections no further ones were to be carried out until our final 14 days and only if appropriate written notice was given.

This afternoon was when the fun began the PM was due to bring one set of new tenants through at 5pm & the LL was due at 5.30pm to fix the dishwasher, instead the LL rang this morning and asked if he could come at 4.30pm as he plans. So the LL was in the kitchen when the PM arrived and informed me that she had scheduled three lots of tenants to come through at 5pm, 5.15pm and 5.45pm when I said I verbally agreed to one set as 5pm she just said it within the same period, so I made her wait on the doorstep while I called Consumer Affairs on speakerphone who informed me that I had the right to refuse all of them as no written notice was given or the PM risks a $500?? fine for each breach. I agreed to the first set of tenants coming through, she stated she was going to show the other two sets of tenants through anyway as even after the phone call with Consumer Affairs she believed that she only needed to seek permission once for the whole three inspections.

So due to one very annoyed PM who decided to show all the tenants through anyway, one very annoyed LL then told her he was withdrawing his property from her and rang the owners of the agency and abused the crap out of them for hiring such an arrogant PM. Result no inspections, one PM sitting in her car crying and me getting a great laugh. I call it a good day all round LOL.

Oooh just to add that the TUV agreed with you guys that VCAT would be annoyed at such a time wasting exercise if the damage was due to foundation problems and that stupid PM's were not appreciated by the members. The LL has assured me that he does not see an issue with returning the bond anyway.

PS I did not realise that LL's had so little recourse against useless PM's until today, no wonder some of them are so shonky unless the tenant stands up to them they can get away with murder.

Frankly if they are going to be knobs, I'd just stop paying rent.

I'd just pay dribs and drabs so that the outstanding rent at the time you leave equals the bond you lodged.

so when it comes time to go you can just tell em to keep your bond.

You'll have more leverage to get things done when you start withholding rent.

Update

OMG I am dealing with idiots all round, this morning I received a reply from the Agent in Control stating that he was applying to VCAT for unpaid rent as I had not given my 28 days notice to vacate and it would accrue until I give the correct notice. My reply try it idiot you only withdraw the 60 day notice on Feb 4th and our termination date was Feb 19th so therefore I was supposed to read your mind that the notice would be withdrawn and send an intention to vacate in January. Even if they did not withdraw the 60 day NTV I dropped a letter off in person asking for an extra week on January 28th which you accepted and agreed that the tenancy would now terminate on Feb 26th in writing in the same letter as above on Feb 4th. Now apparently this was not on the correct form it is now unacceptable so I need to now send the correct notice for my 28 period to start. My reply the intention to vacate only needs to be in writing with a termination date not before 28 days, while it preferred that it be on the correct form it is not necessary so I believe notice was given and all rent therefore paid.

Next pearler the 60 day notice to vacate was posted on Friday Dec 17th so therefore needed the 5 days postage plus 1 day being the first date they could terminate the tenancy, so by my counting the termination date should have been Feb 21st. His reply the notice was written on Dec 16th, needed 1 day postage as we live in the country so therefore was considered delivered on the 17th and they gave us 3 extra days so I should be thankful for the generosity. I have asked him to provide the VCAT postage guideline that states only 1 day was needed as I can only find the 6 days needed using registered post if posted on Thursday or Friday. I have also asked him to explain how the notice was served on the 17th when the postmark clearly shows it was posted at 3.20pm on the 17th, we get out mail delivered at 2pm and I was not aware Auspost made more than 1 delivery per day. I also pointed out that in the previous paragraph he is arguing that since the NTV was invalid I need to give 28 days and then in this one he is stating that it is valid and he needs to choose which it is as he can’t have it both ways. BTW according to CA the notice is valid unless we challenge it, we chose not to as we settle our new property on Feb 20th so it seemed a waste of time. However in my letter I was not challenging the notice as I had simply stated that the PM needed to be aware that if letters were posted on Thursday or Friday 2 extra days was needed for postage due to the weekend seems like common sense to me, apparently I am mistaken my oops.

Last pearler apparently the sentence ‘I agree for prospective tenant to access to the property during the last 14 days of our tenancy when correct written notice has been given’ means the opposite, I will quote from his letter ‘we are happy to accept that it is a legal requirement that prospective tenants can NOT be shown through the property during the last 14 days of your tenancy. As you acknowledge in your letter dated February 7th the tenants were bought through on Monday February 7th so therefore they were NOT shown through in the last 14 days of your tenancy and Ms PM has complied with the RTA.’ I am astounded by the stupidity when I sent my letter I quoted and printed out the relevant sections of the RTA and even highlighted the relevant parts. My reply if you read Sect 86 of the RTA which accompanied my letter you will note the ground for entry were under subsection 1a and under subsection 2 they may only be exercised in the last 14 days before the termination date, as per your letter dated Feb 4th the termination date of tenancy is Feb 26th so therefore outside the 14 day period. I also added that you have seemed to missed a whole section of the letter about re-tenanting the property before VCAT approval being a breach of section 264 and since I have yet to receive a notice to appear at a VCAT hearing about this matter I am interested to hear why you were showing the property to prospective tenants anyway.

He did generously offer not to pursue the unpaid rent if I agree to drop the matter, I have generously offered to let VCAT decide who is right since I am dealing with an idiot.

lol i would LOVE to go to that VCAT hearing and watch the tribunal member tear the agent a new one....

i would consider lodging a complaint with the REIV...

The one thing both the TUV and Conumer Affairs recommend is never to stop paying rent - once you do, it can have a negative impact with any VCAT hearings etc.

The Y-man

Also, isn't failure to pay rent after 14 days a reason the landlord can use to give the tenant only 2 weeks notice to vacate? (From the "Notice to Vacate" form:

Reasons for at least 14 days notice to vacate
246(1)–overdue rent
you owe at least 14 days rent. Your rent is paid up to,
and including....../......./...... You owe $............)

Best not to take the chance.

We have always been 4 weeks ahead in our rent as we paid 6 weeks when we moved in and then paid fortnightly, so on Jan 6th we paid up until the original termination date of Feb 19th and paid the final week on Feb 4th when we received the written confirmation that we could stay the extra week. I have receipts for up until Feb 19th, so if worst comes to the worst I only need to prove 1 week through bank statements.

The EARS rep was shocked that the AIC is so stupid as to threaten us as well as admit to breaching the RTA in writing, all while defending the PM as competent and having thorough knowledge of the RTA. Since the agency believes they have answered all questions so will no longer communicate she suggested I move onto the next step so either a VCAT hearing or VCAT compliance.

lol i would LOVE to go to that VCAT hearing and watch the tribunal member tear the agent a new one....

I am actually looking forward to it as well just to see them explain the letter.

i would consider lodging a complaint with the REIV...

I have lodged a complaint with VCAT compliance this morning, I am not even sure they are a member of REIV it is not on their website and I searched the REIV site and they are not listed.

Sorry to get in on this so late but I havent been around for quite some time. Please do not worry about VCAT. The owner and Agent will be taken to task on this as it is a waste of the Courts time. No owner or Agent can claim on structual damage in any way. They will need to produce written proof that the by a qualified Registered builder to prove otherwise so please do not worry. Do not under any circumstances at the hearing bring up any of the issues you are thinking of fighting against as these are nothing to do with case the agent is taking you for and you will be told this in court if you try and bring up anything else except what the original application is for. This will only dishearten you.

You are correct. By the Legislation the Agent/Owner can only legally bring propective tenants through within the final 14 day period prior to you vacating and this must be done by giving no less than 24hr written notice of entry. Let them through dont make your situation any more difficult than it already is. Take comfort that they cannot black list your name in anyway unless there is a Court Order against you, which wont happen.

Back