Heading up to brisbane in two weeks :)

Got it from realestateinvestar web site. It's inconsistent across multiple sources. PMs should be the best source.

Obviously it is a small sample but we mange quite a few properties in the suburb and none are vacant.

The Brisbane rental market has however in our experience softened the last couple of months although that tends to happen around this time most years. Early in the year everything was leasing at first open , that is not the case at the moment.

Hi All.

I'm looking specifically for properties within the 10-15 range from the CBD of brisbane.

Hi lonerwolfman, good to see you took the plunge and flew up to Brisbane, I am planning to do the same in the coming weeks (however looking at different areas).

Can I ask whether you think flying for the day only was sufficient? I was planning on maybe doing the Friday & Saturday but don't know if that is necessary - would be good to get your thoughts if you would in hindsight have preferred 2 days?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good bang for buck place to stay for a visit like this?

Hi lonerwolfman, good to see you took the plunge and flew up to Brisbane, I am planning to do the same in the coming weeks (however looking at different areas).

Can I ask whether you think flying for the day only was sufficient? I was planning on maybe doing the Friday & Saturday but don't know if that is necessary - would be good to get your thoughts if you would in hindsight have preferred 2 days?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good bang for buck place to stay for a visit like this?

I went up north a few weeks ago. I had my partner with me so did open homes on the Saturday and came home Sunday. Having said that you can easily do just 1 day if you plan areas you want to visit and homes to inspect. We stayed at the Meriton apartments on Herschel Street. New and only like $110 for the night and right in the CBD

I book air fares, accommodation (usually a motel but a unit via airbnb last trip) & hire car online then fly over usually for a period of 7 to 10 days.

I prefer to IP shop during the week to get in ahead of the masses working with only the weekends to get out & look.

In that time I get out & about in my chosen areas identified by my previous Macro DD. Then inspect everything that meets my purchasing criteria at the Micro DD level.

If I see a property that exceptional I will put in an offer there and then, otherwise I will bring all my micro & inspection notes back home, then over the next weeks pick the best of the crop and make an offer remotely from here.

The offer/contract process I conduct by phone, fax, email & registered express post. Once an offer is accepted a signed contract copy is forwarded to my mortgage broker to get the loans process under way. We have a number of brokers we use. Last purchase we used our broker here in Perth but on other occasions we have used our Brisbane based broker. Geographically it doesn't matter where your broker is based. I have no loyalty to any one lender - preferring to spread lenders.

I also immediately forward a copy of the signed contract to our Solicitor to start their side of the conveyancing process. We always use a Solicitor / Conveyancer that is located locally the state the property purchase is in because they are familiar with the settlement process system for that locality.

I then organise the relevent contractors / agencies required in relation to fulfilling our contract conditions / requirements , such as independent valuers, building inspections, pest inspections etc etc. Once these requirements have been met satisfactory to myself I then notify my solicitor of such and the solicitor liases with my mortgage broker to take the contract through to settlement.

Over the years we have found the whole process to run fairly smoothly. With each subsequent purchase you learn from the previous ones so you can fine tune the way you do things along the way. This kind of stuff you dont learn form text books. Its hands on practical experience where the nuts & bolts learning is really acquired.

The biggest obstacle that needs to be conquered in your own thinking. Basically its the having the courage to over come the fear of stepping out of your comfort zone to things that are all new and foreign to you. Are you doing things right, what do you need to do next and the fear of losing are all thoughts you will have to move through to succeed.

At the end of the day once you have moved through these barriers that stop the majority of people you will think to yourself that it wasnt as bad as you thought it was going to be. Chances are you will be revved up wanting to do it all again - I know I was.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I book air fares, accommodation (usually a motel but a unit via airbnb last trip) & hire car online then fly over usually for a period of 7 to 10 days.

I like the idea of Airbnb, will certainly give it a go and see what options are available.

Unfortunately we can only take the one day off work, but I guess it's better than nothing!

Over the years we have found the whole process to run fairly smoothly. With each subsequent purchase you learn from the previous ones so you can fine tune the way you do things along the way. This kind of stuff you dont learn form text books. Its hands on practical experience where the nuts & bolts learning is really acquired.

The biggest obstacle that needs to be conquered in your own thinking. Basically its the having the courage to over come the fear of stepping out of your comfort zone to things that are all new and foreign to you. Are you doing things right, what do you need to do next and the fear of losing are all thoughts you will have to move through to succeed.

At the end of the day once you have moved through these barriers that stop the majority of people you will think to yourself that it wasnt as bad as you thought it was going to be. Chances are you will be revved up wanting to do it all again - I know I was.

Hope this helps.

That's exactly why we're going to book our flights and fly up... I know the best way to learn and get it done is to take the first step and fly up there! I've done my research but that will all account for nothing unless I actually see how it looks on the ground!

Thanks for the insight into the way you manage the process logistically as well!

If you get a early flight up and late one back one day should do the trick provided you plan your appointments fairly closely in a couple of suburbs. 10-14 inspections in one day might be possible if you target a tight geographical location and his should give you an idea of the market and what you have been looking at on the Internet. From there you can make an informed decision

If you get a early flight up and late one back one day should do the trick provided you plan your appointments fairly closely in a couple of suburbs. 10-14 inspections in one day might be possible if you target a tight geographical location and his should give you an idea of the market and what you have been looking at on the Internet. From there you can make an informed decision

From my past 15 year experience, yes its important to use your time up there as efficiently as possible however I feel 10-14 may be excessive and may all become a bit of a blur even attempting half that quota.

I would strongly suggest to take as many notes of each IP & photo's or ideally video. (with agent permission of coarse).

If you have an off sider with you, one take the photo's /video whilst you inspect and ask all the pertinent questions to the REA. Ideally voice record (phone, pocket recorder etc) all this so you can refer back to whats said but if not able to then writing down on paper as you walk through.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

From my past 15 year experience, yes its important to use your time up there as efficiently as possible however I feel 10-14 may be excessive and may all become a bit of a blur even attempting half that quota.

I would strongly suggest to take as many notes of each IP & photo's or ideally video. (with agent permission of coarse).

If you have an off sider with you, one take the photo's /video whilst you inspect and ask all the pertinent questions to the REA. Ideally voice record (phone, pocket recorder etc) all this so you can refer back to whats said but if not able to then writing down on paper as you walk through.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

I've never tried this as most tenants don't like their possessions being filmed but its a good idea if possible.
You could get away with viewing only a few properties but this I think would depend on your experience and familiarity with the local market. If all you know is what you have seen on RE.com then you need to get down at street level to get a better idea of value in a market looking at properties for sale and maybe a drive by some that you know the sold price.

Lenojd let us know how you go on your IP fishing trip. I've done it quite a few times over the years, with the most recent on a IP mentoring trip with an investor from Sydney, earlier this year.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Lenojd let us know how you go on your IP fishing trip. I've done it quite a few times over the years, with the most recent on a IP mentoring trip with an investor from Sydney, earlier this year.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Sure will do Rixter.

It will certainly be a learning experience as I've never looked to purchase interstate before but the best way to learn is through experience so I am looking forward to it!

Back