Health/ Care, home assistant , Victoria

Hi All
I need some advice for those involved in the health system in Victoria. Mt Helena to be exact.
My very dear friend is currently in the position of having to care for her 80 yr old mother who has just gone through a very rigorous regime of chemo and radiation.
The situation is that Mum is staying at daughters and Mum cannot and maybe does not want to do anything to help herself anymore, Has prolly just given up on living to be honest.
Daughter has becone very angry and frustrated with mum and their relationship is becomming strained and both are now exausted.
Daughter is now unable to think clearly and is ridden with guilt. Mum just doesnt care.
There must be some type of relief care available in the area l know there is such care here in the West and if any one can give me some names or numbers to get some assistance l would greatly apreciate it.
My friend is exausted and if l can help in this way it will , well help.
There are so many avenues of help available but until you are told about them or need them they are almost unknown. If you can offer some sort of assistance in tapping into these resources l will be very gratefull.
I dont want my friend to have her last memories of her mum to be so tainted.
This is way off the track from property l know but this is also a great site for local knowledge.
I need your help
cheers
yadreamin

The Social Worker at the hospital she's having treatment at would be able to either arrange services, or pass on numbers of services that are available.

The hospital or Dr. possibly assumed the daughter would do all the caring once she moved into her home, so did not interviene. Services are still available in that kind or arrangement.

The daughter needs to make contact with a Social Worker from the treatment centre, as they'll know what she qualifies for and arrange referrals where needed.

Q: Why do they put nails on the coffins?

A: To stop the oncologists.

Sadly it is not an isolated case.

Social worker is your best bet. Don't ask the doctor...

I would suggest your friend contacts an aged care assessment teams (ACAT), of which a social worker is usually a part, whose primary role is to advise and help in situations such as this. In Victoria, it's called ACAS rather than ACAT.
http://www.health.vic.gov.au/agedcare/services/assess.htm

And here's a general link that may lead you to some useful information:
http://www.agedcareaustralia.gov.au/internet/agedcare/publishing.nsf/Content/Where+to+start

I wish your friend and her mother the best of luck.

Thankyou for the replies
You have given me a good starting point.
Its awful when they are so exausted and mentally run down that they cannot see that help is available.
Big thanks
yadreamin

Q: Why do they put nails on the coffins?

A: To stop the oncologists.

Sadly it is not an isolated case.

Social worker is your best bet. Don't ask the doctor...

Just wanted to say that its not my experience. The oncologists I'm working with have been fantastic, and very "holistic" in their approach, and in involving others in treatment etc.

Thankyou for the replies
You have given me a good starting point.
Its awful when they are so exausted and mentally run down that they cannot see that help is available.
Big thanks
yadreamin

I"m not sure about services in Victoria. but in NSW, you would have the ACAT team, as others have mentioned. They should be able to organise some respite care, which sounds like its needed.
Also, the cancer team should be able to refer them to the local Community Nursing team, who can come and visit regularly and make a plan for support.
I would also ask the oncologist for a referral to the Palliative Care team. Its sounds scary, because that sounds like you are giving up. But Pall Care helps to coordinate pain management, community nursing etc.
If she is involved in a Cancer Care Centre, they will also have a Clinical Nurse Consultant, who should help with this coordination process.
and I've found the chemo nurses really good at knowing who to call and very helpful in pushing for action.
there is definitely help there... I guess if you are in a rural area, the supports are going to be more limited.

I guess your friend needs to think about how she wants to proceed in terms of having her mum in her house. It is really hard to become a carer for your parent. Although it sounds nice in theory, in many cases, its better all round for the parent to go into care. then family can focus on relationship, instead of wiping bottoms and managing sh * t (of all types!! :D )

Back