Health Check

This is mainly for the older males here, but applies to everyone.

I turned 50 earlier this year, but back in Oct last year I went to the doc for a problem with my right thumb (hurts all the time, and occassionally flares up to extreme). I was getting fed up after about a year of this.

He said "bad luck; arthritis, take green-lipped mussell extract tablets and have a good life". Almost a quote by the way! (arthritis runs in my family too)

Anyway, I take them each day and they do actually provide some relief.

But that's not the point of this thread. While I was there, he said because I was about to turn 50, do yourself a favour and get all you blood tests done and have a Prostate Check when you come back with the blood results.

So, I finally got the blood tests done - they took 6 samples, it was easy and all over in about 5 minutes at the local Gribbles Lab.

I then booked in to see the doc a week later (they need time to get him the results), and the diagnosis came back that I was in pretty good health. Most things normal.

I also had the Prostate check, which is undignified, but all over in about 10 seconds, and - as far as he can tell- no problems there.

But here was the part that was a shock; my cholestorol level was 5.8%, which is a smidgeon high in his book. He wasn't too worried, but wants it to come down.

It was a shock because I have a pretty good diet, exercise, don't smoke, almost no junk or deep fried food (a few grogs), and am not overweight. In general, a fairly healthy life until this point.

Main cuplrits would be full-cream dairy foods and processed meats like ham and salami, I'd say.

So, this is my attempt at a warning for you guys; don't rest on your laurels and think you are healthy; if you are approaching 50 get the health check done.

For the young'uns; start living healthy right now of you don't already. Don't think it won't happen to you - especially if there is a history in the family.

But here was the part that was a shock; my cholestorol level was 5.8%, which is a smidgeon high in his book. He wasn't too worried, but wants it to come down.

It was a shock because I have a pretty good diet, exercise, don't smoke, almost no junk food (a few grogs), and am not overweight. In general, a fairly healthy life until this point.

Good points Bayview! I got a bit of a shock at my cholesterol a couple of weeks ago too. Mine is 7.1. I'm ave weight, 37, healthy diet. My downfalls would be that I love creamy sauces like hollandaise, mashed potato, and have been eating full cream milk products. I thought only overweight people with bad eating habits needed to be concerned. It will be interesting to see how low I can get mine when I get tested in 3 months again. I don't want to be on pills for the rest of my life!!

Yes, all good points. But to rub salt into both your wounds, mine was 3.6 when last measured and I eat a balanced diet of 1/2 good food and 1/2 junk food, do virtually zero exercise and am many (read 'a lot') kgs over what would be considered a healthy weight.

There are genetic factors in play, I am certain. :D

Thanks Prop, I feel much better about it now. :D Lucky my signature will save me! My aunty is 50 and hers is 8 something. She can't take the meds. I better not have her bad genes!!

Thanks Marc.

On a similar point, my Brother-in-law was persuaded to tag along with my Dad for a prostate test (my dad has one every year) and, despite being a sports teacher and gifted rugby player was found to have a rare form of prostate cancer :(

In the space of a couple of weeks, his (and his wife and 2 children) world has been turned upside down, and is now preparing to undergo quite revolutionary treatment in Cambridge in the UK.

Of course this has prompted my dad to urge me to get it checked, which of course, I have so far ignored :eek:

With your cholesterol readings it is very important to have the ratio of HDL/ LDL/Total calculated as well as knowing the total.

Any doctor still relying on a single reading is about 10 years behind the current method of assessing cholesterol risk.

You can have moderately high total Cholesterol and still be very good, you can also have an acceptable total and be very bad in ratios.

FYI http://www.exrx.net/Testing/LDL&HDL.html

The absolute total cholesterol figure isn't that concerning, you have to look at all the other factors (blood pressure, smoking status, ECG, diabetes status) in tandem... best to use something like this:

http://www.cvdcheck.org.au/

With your cholesterol readings it is very important to have the ratio of HDL/ LDL/Total calculated as well as knowing the total.

Any doctor still relying on a single reading is about 10 years behind the current method of assessing cholesterol risk.

You can have moderately high total Cholesterol and still be very good, you can also have an acceptable total and be very bad in ratios.

Yeah, correct.

He did tell me the breakdown between my "good" and "bad" cholesterol - something like 3.9 for the bad from memory.

Yes, all good points. But to rub salt into both your wounds, mine was 3.6 when last measured and I eat a balanced diet of 1/2 good food and 1/2 junk food, do virtually zero exercise and am many (read 'a lot') kgs over what would be considered a healthy weight.

There are genetic factors in play, I am certain. :D

My doc did say that too - genetics are a factor.

Don't forget the heart disease and stroke risk.

After reading that site and trying to remember what the doctor said I'm a bit confused. I remember though that the LDL AND TOTAL is what he was concerned about. My LDL IS 4.04 and total is 7.1 (female) :confused:

I'd like to add to this aswell even though I'm not an older male but it relates to my grandfather. He had always been very fit and active seeming 15 years younger than he really was. For a couple of weeks he had not been feeling 100% and then noticed a lump in his stomach area. He went to the doc who sent him off for a scan. Got the results the next day and it was pancreatic cancer. Five short weeks later he passed away.

This is a cancer that mainly targets older males and has a very low survival rate. Please, if something is not quite right have it checked out because it's better safe than sorry. Also, if what I've read is true, with most things, early detection is the key.

Increased cholesterol can also be the result of stress. that was the case with my hubby. He's stick thin, eats salads/fish for lunch every day, does exercise etc. But we had a rough year last year and his cholesterol was where the stress seemed to hit the most. It seems to have reduced now, without any real effort, just through less emotional stress.

Start taking fish oil, BayView. Should help to bring it down. Unless you're diet contains fish, you're probably lacking in your omegas and should be taking fish oil anyway.

good onya for having your "old man" tests done.

been nagging my hubby for 12 months now as he has a close family history of high blood pressure, diabetes, poor cholesterol and prostate cancer (sheesh - didn't know the genetics before i married him!). and he's finally booked in for the lot ... then i find out that the morning he's booked in is a breakfast meeting with peter switzer that i'd love to go too - but someone has to take the kids to school.

darn. after nagging for so long, and him finally and reluctantly going, i daren't suggest he change date.

anyhow - re your arthritis - have you been to see a good quality naturapath? often arthritis can be caused by toxin buildup in the liver.

re

For those of us who are more mathematical minded, here is a PDF that doctors use to work out the risk of having a cardiac / cerebral event for a patient in the next 5 years.

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/servicios/hta/ebm_cardio_new_zeland.pdf

You can probably work it out yourself as well. It takes into account of you age, smoking habit, diabetes or not, your cholesterole level and your blood pressure. And if you happen to score a yellow square or above, then time is now to act and change! Not next year, but today.

Of course, if you have a strong family history of heart problem, then its even more important to keep it under a blue square.

Warrenkh.2011

In 2010 a routine blood test found that I have Vitamin D deficiency,
My GP advised me to take Vit. D supplement and since then I 've been taking
vitamin D 50,000 IU once a month - as prescribed by GP.
As we know that Vitamin D is very commonly known as the 'sunshine vitamin', because vitamin D is produced in the body as a result of direct exposure to sunlight.

I guess time to move to Sunshine state - QLD :confused:

In 2010 a routine blood test found that I have Vitamin D deficiency,
My GP advised me to take Vit. D supplement and since then I 've been taking
vitamin D 50,000 IU once a month - as prescribed by GP.
As we know that Vitamin D is very commonly known as the 'sunshine vitamin', because vitamin D is produced in the body as a result of direct exposure to sunlight.

I guess time to move to Sunshine state - QLD :confused:

Yer, I don't know about that sun gives you vit D. :eek: (I think you'd get skin cancer before you got any real benefit!) My sister never, goes in the sun. she wears a full length body suit if she swims (about once a year) and wears driving gloves and a long sleeve shirt when driving. She doesn't have a vit D deficiency. I'm often in the sun, lived in Bris and Perth and have a deficiency. I did try to increase my sun exposure with my doctors advice as well as taking vit D and it barely made any difference in the next blood test. I've changed the type of vit D (to liquid rather than powder form) and not bothered to go out in the sun and my blood test results is slightly better again.

This is mainly for the older males here, but applies to everyone.

I turned 50 earlier this year, but back in Oct last year I went to the doc for a problem with my right thumb (hurts all the time, and occassionally flares up to extreme). I was getting fed up after about a year of this.

He said "bad luck; arthritis, take green-lipped mussell extract tablets and have a good life". Almost a quote by the way! (arthritis runs in my family too)

Anyway, I take them each day and they do actually provide some relief.

But that's not the point of this thread. While I was there, he said because I was about to turn 50, do yourself a favour and get all you blood tests done and have a Prostate Check when you come back with the blood results.

So, I finally got the blood tests done - they took 6 samples, it was easy and all over in about 5 minutes at the local Gribbles Lab.

I then booked in to see the doc a week later (they need time to get him the results), and the diagnosis came back that I was in pretty good health. Most things normal.

I also had the Prostate check, which is undignified, but all over in about 10 seconds, and - as far as he can tell- no problems there.

It was a shock because I have a pretty good diet, exercise, don't smoke, almost no junk or deep fried food (a few grogs), and am not overweight. In general, a fairly healthy life until this point.

Main cuplrits would be full-cream dairy foods and processed meats like ham and salami, I'd say.

So, this is my attempt at a warning for you guys; don't rest on your laurels and think you are healthy; if you are approaching 50 get the health check done.

For the young'uns; start living healthy right now of you don't already. Don't think it won't happen to you - especially if there is a history in the family.

My brother died of cancer a couple of years ago and after that i really became a super health freak. did a couple of times to thailand for detox, regular health checks now and then. Acupuncture and regular shiatsu massages to relieve any possible stress points. Cupping and regular drinking of green tea for cleansing.

although i am 20+ years younger - i had a similar a reading to yours at one stage. Did you scan your liver? Coz i did and i found i had fatty liver.. nothing too serious but it goes hand in hand sometimes with high cholestrol... it took me a year of going organic and constant exercise to get rid of it.

Back