Health Insurance Funds

I'm looking for a new health insurance fund, and I'm hoping you might be able to help me find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a fund which:

• Has Single Parent cover (not really interested in paying 'family' which includes 2 adults, as it's just me and 2 kids).
  • Has an obstetric exclusion (don't want obstetric cover at all, so don't want to pay the premium for it).
  • Has Good hospital and Extras.

Extras must include good cover for:
  • Basic and high cost Dental(crowns) *orthodontic not required
  • Psychiatric (psychologist cover, my son needs it)
  • Optical cover (good limits for yearly glasses :cool: )

Those are the main things I want. Other 'fluffy stuff' (masseuses etc) is nice, but not mandatory...

That's pretty much it.

Does anyone know of a fund which might suit?

asy :D

I have never used it, but have you tried the iSelect website. I assume you type in what you want and it compares funds for you.

I have often thought of doing it but my fund is a good one, so I have not done so. I think I will give it a try to see if I can do better myself.

Wylie

I only just did this and it is really hard to compare as the amount that the funds will pay for certain items vary greatly. Hubby is covered at work so I toll was looking for just 1 adult and 2 kids - almost all have it now. I was leaning towards NIB but after 3 attempts on their behalf to get the policy information correct I saw it as a sign and went to the good old favorite Medibank Private.

I liked it as even though it covered items that I have no intention of using it was still comparable to ones that allowed you to exclude items ($$ pretty much the same). I also got their Premium extras cover which covers just about everything as two young kids I am sure that dental etc is going to start getting up there. A couple of them have their special on at the mintute as well which excludes the waiting time on the majority of things as well. So you can join today and visit the dentist tomorrow. :D Have a look at the "other" benefits as well - I know with my one I now get gym membership for $50 for 12mths.

Harder than looking for property insurance if you ask me. Good Luck with the search.

I also believe there are health insurance brokers, similar to mortgage brokers, but have only heard this and don't have any leads.

Wylie

We are with HCF who really came to the party earlier this year when I had my appendix removed with a tumour on board! Had to have 3 hospital visits to a private hospital in Brisbane and only had some excess to pay.:)

They have a very extensive selection of options. Web link is: www.hcf.com.au

Hi Asy
There are currently 38 health insurers to choose from. Thirteen of these are restricted to certain positions like police, doctors or teachers. Others only operate in certain states. I would have a look at this list & go to their websites. Then get an online quote done in a few minutes (or maybe use iSelect as mentioned above). Once you get the quotes done, then sit done & make a list of inclusions & excesses... Go for the one that suits you best:).

Note that comparing private health insurance is a bit like comparing two properties... No two companies or inclusions are the same. Here is a list of FAQ put out by the government.
Good luck with it
Steve

Thanks guys.

I tried the iSelect website before I asked (I should have said that, sorry) but it only seems to cover a few insurers.

I used to have GMFHealth insurance, and found them quite good, but I thought I'd have a look around before re-insuring.

asy :D

I tried the iSelect website before I asked (I should have said that, sorry) but it only seems to cover a few insurers.
Yes, iSelect only covers 4 insurers (NIB, HCF, MU & AHM)...Doesn't even have the largest 2 companies (Medibank Private & MBF). Better off going to the individual sites of each company, I think.
Steve

Back