heater issues - plumber?

Hi there

I have tenants in a house I am planning to knock over in 12 months time, they have complained that the gas heater in the lounge is too noisy, and the pilot light in the ducted unit needs to be reset often (don't know what "often" means)
PM got me a quote for $600 to replace fan in lounge gas unit, and a further $600 to replace the overheat sensor and overheat duct probe in the ducted unit (with no guarantee that will fix the pilot issue)
Given that I'm planning to demolish the house in 12 months, what do forumites suggest I could do here without spending heaps? Does the quote amount sound reasonable to you (I have no idea what a replacement fan and sensors are worth)
I am going to do a ring around of the local plumbers and see what they think, but I thought I would check with the wisdom of the forum too.
I had a quick look on ebay but theres pretty much only full units for sale on there...

Thank you

Last edited:
Hmm, $600 for the fan sounds expensive from my experience.

Where is the property located and what type of unit is it? Also has the plumber said there is a problem with the fan, or is it just noisy?

I haven't had to get trades out to do ducted systems often, and these quotes were usually more than $600. But without the guarantee it'll fix the issue is a little annoying.

I have tenants in a house I am planning to knock over in 12 months time, they have complained that the gas heater in the lounge is too noisy, and the pilot light in the ducted unit needs to be reset often (don't know what "often" means) Thank you

If it is working, but just noisy, I'd say "too bad". If it breaks down completely, I would guess you have to fix it, but that would really suck if you then will be demolishing the house (unless you can salvage the gas heater to re-use or sell).

Yeah thanks Wylie, I think I will tell them too bad about the noisy heater and just repair the ducted unit, as I had a look on ebay and I could sell it off when I demo the house. Hope that fixes the pilot light issue!

:)

I would spend a couple of hundred bucks on a second hand portable gas heater for them and say it's broken so don't use it, but here is your allternative. I'd be telling them that their bills will go off the roof because u are heating parts of the house u are not using.

Portable gas heaters are not flued causing CO poisoning in the house (high likelihood of causing death if not used correctly.

Pay to get it fixed (its a tax deduction anyway). You will lose more if the tenant decides to leave as it is broken and have to replace tenants and replace the broken items.

Back