Heating pool with solar hot water system

This is something that is hyperthetical but i did wonder about.

I know a swimming pool is a heck of a lot bigger than a hot water service - but - for example - a friend has a solar hot water system that puts out near water at boiling point on a sunny day (faces NW).

Surely, if you were heating a pool with this temperature of water off a system, it would warm up to a tasty temperature after a day or so, without the hundreds of metres of black tubing that is prone to Cocky chewing, corrosion and high winds - and not take up as much roof area, so more room for things like solar panels and hws solar.

I reckon it would be more expensive to install to start with - but - then again - the one time we had the black tubing put on, it wasn't that cheap either.

Hmmmmm

Hi Lizzie,

Just had the pool solar tubing removed from the roof of our future retirement home (currently a weekender). Discovered there had been a leak at some stage prior to us buying the house. Remember many pools are salt water nowadays. Hence in our case the gutter pipe outlets (droppers) have completely rusted out as has some parts of the gutters etc due to the salt water leak.

Will never have the black tubing on the roof again. It also makes the roof space very hot.

I don't know about a solar hot water system but when we install our future pool heating it will be a Heat Pump system. Might be a bit more expensive to run but get it connected to a low tariff connection as it doesn't need to run all hours of the day. And ensure you have a pool cover/blanket fitted to minimise any loss of heat.

Solar pool tubing systems are useless for a significant part of the year when the weather is cloudy or ambient temperature is cold etc. Heat pumps will keep your pool at a wonderful temperate of your choice all year round. And with the system running during off-peak tariff combined with a pool blanket it may be more affordable than many think.

Cheers - Gordon

Back