Heavy Hail Storm Rain flowing into Eaves

Hi,

From yesterday heavy hail storm in Perth, it seems like my gutters and possibly soakwells did not handle the downfall and water was overflowing back into the eaves and leaking through the joints of the hardiflex and causing a bowing effect on one section of the eaves.

Can someone please advise which trades do I speak to in getting the eaves fixed and to check for further damage?

I tried to claim it through insurance, but excess is $500. I know its abit hard with such little information provided, but does anyone think I will be better off repairing it myself?

Thanks.

Install gutter guards. Providing that the water overflow was only into the eaves a check of any of the electrics and possibly a repaint would be in order.

The hail choked up the top of the down pipes in many houses and didn't allow the rain to get out of the gutters and down the pipes to the soakwells so it backflowed into houses.

Check if your gutters slope slightly away and/or overflow cuts to prevent this occuring in the future.

As to trades - sorry I can't help.

Roof plumber for guttering (may be able to advise a remedy) and a carpenter if the eaves are damaged, although if you're mildly handy you should be able to fix all of it yourself.

Wealth,my guttering system and self installed soak wells normally cope with ease,however as Westminster quite correctly states the hail stones clogged up the downpipes and grates causing extensive flooding all over the northern suburbs.
Hardiflex is very water tolerant and will most probably dry out fine,
requiring a coat of paint(if that).

Roof plumber for guttering (may be able to advise a remedy) and a carpenter if the eaves are damaged, although if you're mildly handy you should be able to fix all of it yourself.

The overflow into the eaves is a well-known design fault of high front gutters - there has to be the correct gapping behind the gutter to allow it to overflow at the rear as they won't flow over the front due to the high front lip.

125%20Quad%20Gutter.ashx

Thanks guys for the advice and yes, I do agree what a silly gutter design such that if it ever overflows, it will flow back into the house rather than away from it.

+1 scott no mates
install leaf guard
it also works as hail guard, and does not allow the hail in to block the gutter
melted by subsequent rain, no problems

Back