Hello from another Gen Y. The procrastination stops here!

Hi All,

I'd like to introduce myself to this forum as I'm new here. I guess you could say, I'm your typical 24yo Gen Y. Up until recently, my experience with property has been incredibly limited, minus the odd attendance to a nearby neighborhood auction. Over my university years I've been very careless and naive with my finances. However I have been very lucky to have much older friends steer me away from the traps that many of my generation fall into.

Whilst I was at uni working part-time at a hifi bulk store, I would pretty much blow my money on everything I wanted. Video games, DVDs, ipod, expensive hifi stereo, big TV, eat out all the time (I'd buy lunch everyday at uni) and live the life blowing away my hard earned cash. I always wanted a sports car too but my parents banged into me night and day that a sports car was the worst way I could spend my money (I never realised this until my old man started to make me pay for the family car petrol, rego and insurance).

At the bulk store I had a small number of senior colleagues who were doing it tough working the long hours to pay their mortgage, maintain IPs and feed their kids. My colleagues realised that when I'd finish uni and move into a full-time qualified job, I'd have the best starting opportunity to build a solid foundation for my own future. Most of them saw me spend my money in such silly ways that they took me aside and told me that if they invested their money at my age, they wouldn't need to work long hours in a retail shop to survive. Having a few of the older blokes give me this advice was too hard to ignore, so I hence decided to commence saving my deposit and shift my focus to investment.

When I had started full-time employment in 2006 I began to sell off all my goodies on the internet (eBay, online classifieds). To date, I have sold 120 items which included lots of DVDs, Video Games, ipod and heaps of other useless stuff I bought. All of the items I sold I would have probably got 30-40% of my cash back and pumped it into my deposit. This is still ongoing, however the bulk of the luxury items I bought during uni have pretty much been sold. *pats self on back.

My aim is to only have the items I use on a frequent basis which are computer, gym membership ($42 per month), Xbox360, ipod and my acoustic guitar - hopefully nobody here thinks I'm living it up excessively with these items.

At the start of 2007, I managed to break the habit of buying lunch at work everyday. Then I began to cut my monthly expenses for example slashing the mobile phone plan and jumping on prepaid. Cutting off a dollar here and a dollar there has had a huge impact on my bank balance!

Since Nov 2007, I've been ready to purchase a place but have been putting it off just to the sheer daunting task of buying my first IP. I don't know why I'm so scared of the process but I found that simple fear, excuses and procrastination has put me away from it all. Other issues I've had is that I've had older family friends tell me I will never be successful investing in property and also my parents are slightly nervous I'm buying an investment property (they are risk aversive and have never bought IPs). However I'm determined to stick with the plan and give it a go.

My greatest fear would be for someone to ask me one day "Did you ever try to be wealthy by putting a few ideas into action?" and to reply with a "No, I did nothing and simply sat on the fence and watched everyone else try different things".

So a month ago, I decided to take action and have since:
a) Started to identify 1-2 suburbs to invest in (Frankston being one)
b) Organised finance (application is now with my broker)
c) Started looking at properties and talking to real estate agents. (3 weeks straight in frankston).
d) Study rental sheets.
e) Confirmed that my solicitor is ok for conveyancing.

I need to:
a) Find a building and pest inspector.
b) Talk to property managers.
c) Learn how to deal with real estate agents and build a good rapport with them (in my 3rd week in Franga I nearly gave away my maximum buy price and one blatantly lied to me multiple after finding facts from the vendor). - Mind you some have also been good to me too.
d) Talk to my accountant about finance structure and implications of investment property?

I've so far read the following books:
Making Money - Paul Clitheroe
Buying & Selling Your Home For Dummies - Karin Derkley
Real Estate Mistakes - Neil Jenman
How to Legally Reduce Your Tax - Tony Melvin & Ed Chan
Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki
More Wealth From Residential Property - Jan Somers (Currently Reading)

To read:
The Millionaire Next Door - Stanley/Danko

I've had a quick browse around the forum esp the beginners FAQ but if anyone has any specific pointers to kick me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

I've had a quick browse around the forum esp the beginners FAQ but if anyone has any specific pointers to kick me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

Welcome Beekay!

I would say you don't need kicking in the right direction, as you're already there.

The reading list is excellent and the plan sounds sensible.

So all that's needed is for you to keep going.

Don't pay too much for the first IP - have something left over for the second.

Peter

Don't pay too much for the first IP - have something left over for the second.

Thanks for the welcome Spiderman. That's my biggest fear. One of my goals is to buy below the asking price.

However!

I've found that real estate agents will try and get the price that the vendors want - fair enough, that's their job - and they'll do all sorts of tactics to get your offer close to the vendors asking price.

But I was thinking of disregarding what offers they say they have been offered due to their tactics and put in what I think is reasonable (even if its below what they said they've been offered, I tend to trust my research and not their word.)

In terms of budget, I've set myself an upper limit where if bidding goes beyond my limit I'm out of the running. As its investment I know that being emotionally attached and bidding beyond my budget will screw me financially.

make sure you cover yourself for the unexpected. Good start. i wish i start that early as well.

Yes I agree! I'm making sure I don't borrow too much and pay too much so I have some cash reserves ready to go. Not only that I'm making sure that I'll have plenty of money left over after expenses to pump extra into offset to reduce the interest for the interim.

Given that the lower end demographic areas are the only ones I can afford to invest in, I've been recommended to take out landlord insurance so I don't have to stress if the IP gets trashed.

With my day job, I'm trying to skill myself in areas where there's a huge demand so I can always get work.

I've also looked at trust structures for asset protection, but i think I'll have to speak to my accountant and solicitor about that, its just too complicated a subject for me to handle.

Good one. stick to that. that is what i do. and i got one as well, after weeks and weeks of searching, and do not listen to the agent, they will always get you to pay big buck..

Hi

I wish I had started saving at your age. Good work. I'm 35. It scares me though to think how much I wasted on crap that I didnt need in my twenties. I just recently moved back in with mum and dad so that I can save hard for a deposit. I am going to stay on here for a few years, buy an IP so that I can set myself up for the future.

:)

To date, I have sold 120 items which included lots of DVDs, Video Games, ipod and heaps of other useless stuff I bought. All of the items I sold I would have probably got 30-40% of my cash back and pumped it into my deposit. This is still ongoing, however the bulk of the luxury items I bought during uni have pretty much been sold. *pats self on back.

You deserve more than a little pat on the back for that one beekay. You deserve a standing ovation!! Well done. The universe, or your higher power, or just economics, or the secret, or whatever you believe in, is going to reward you 100 times over for making that sacrifice. :)

You deserve more than a little pat on the back for that one beekay. You deserve a standing ovation!! Well done. The universe, or your higher power, or just economics, or the secret, or whatever you believe in, is going to reward you 100 times over for making that sacrifice. :)

Yes, I second this...well put Luce. Beekay you are doing so well. You are an inspiration to all of us. And yes I got scared too when buying my first IP. I didn't know much about what I was doing, and hadn't read or researched or anything. I was soooooo naive. You are streets ahead in that department.

BIG pat on the back!:)

PS The fear goes away....after a little while. Please keep us updated with what you are doing.

I don't know if this will help, but perhaps speak to an accountant about setting up a trust. If you do this from the get go, perhaps it will pay off in the end....well done on breaking away from the norm of GenY, and welcome to the higher plain that is the SmartY...:)

I Just want to say well done on getting your act together so early!
My husband and I bought our first IP 5 years ago when I was 21, & he was 22. This has been the best thing we could ever have done, it has given us a solid grounding for the future as well as security while we did the things we wanted to do as '20 somethings' (travel, study etc)

Now we are looking to settle down we have a great credit rating with the bank and are now looking at having it payed off in 2 years time and using the rental as an extra income while I have a baby.

Just choose your areas very carefully and stay informed (which you are on top of!)

Best of luck!

Found a place in Frankston and put in a conditional offer. After an initial rejection the vendor wanted an unconditional bid. I said get stuffed (especially for a 50yo weatherboard home, I know it will have issues but I don't want to get a place that's about to fall over). Came back a week later and accepted my offer.

Hopefully I get to see the contract signed by the vendor by COB today!

Now I'm madly organising pest inspection, property manager and insurance quotes (house and landlord). (any recommendations?)

So far have conveyancing, building inspector ready to go. This weekend is going to be very busy.

I'm half sh****g myself and half very happy about taking the first step, but I tell you its been a bloody nerve racking experience and I now understand why people avoid property altogether.

Last edited:
I'm half shitting myself and half very happy about taking the first step, but I tell you its been a bloody nerve racking experience and I now understand why people avoid property altogether.

The start is so exciting. Enjoy it!

Soon enough it will become pretty boring....dot the I's cross the T's.

Let us know how you go.

Well done beekay!

What an awesome start to property investing. You truly are setting a very strong example for other GenY's on here to follow. I bought my first IP about the same age and now in my mid-30s have a net worth over $1M and am doing calculations on how much longer until I can retire.

So I guess I'll see you in 10 years time hey, planning your retirement! :D

Seriously well done again,
Michael

Sounds like you got it all happening. The only thing I'd add would be to broaden your reading to include some Mindset books. With the right mindset, you take control over all aspects of your life including investments, but not just property.
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Richest Man in Babylon
Try these for starters. They will get you well set up in the mindset department. From there, there will be nothing you can't be or do!

I'm half sh****g myself and half very happy about taking the first step, but I tell you its been a bloody nerve racking experience and I now understand why people avoid property altogether.

Well done on getting this far - now is when things start to get more interesting (and satisfying).

What you need to consider going forward is to have a think about what could go wrong, and start putting some strategies in place to deal with it in case it does. For example, consider how you will deal with interest rate rises, vacancies, damage to property, etc. Having some plans in place ahead of time will make the situation much easier to handle if something bad actually happens. Think insurances, and also about trying to build some cash reserve.

Once you get your head around it all, and get your strategies working, it's just a matter of sticking to your plan, and keeping an eye on things. In 10-15 years you will be starting to plan your retirement.

Oh, and ignore the many people (your own age and older) who will inevitably bag you for not 'living it up while you're still so young'. These are the people who whinge when they get to their 40s and see people like us living it up - but for the rest of our lives.

Well done. It does get easier. When you start seeing it work for you (not saying it will immediately) you'll be glad you got started. When you and your peer group reach 30 or so (when you're getting married, having kids, need to buy homes, etc) it's going to make a huge difference.
Alex

Good on ya Beekay...well done for summoning up the courage and doing your DD. Don't forget your landlord's insurance...or do check it out. You are sooooo well on your way. BTW...the heebie jeebies will disappear soon enough. Just enjoy the excitement now!:D

Grrrr, I haven't got a faxed copy of my signed contracts back yet... even though I've been told they are signed and I'd get a copy by 5pm. Grrrr. Angry!

*tells self: "I will not get gazumped, I will not get gazumped!"

Will have to wait until Monday.

Last edited:
Back