Help and advice needed - whether to buy this house at action or not

Hi, I have been looking at a house for several weeks now which is being aictioned on Saturday.

I had a building and pest inspection done last MOnday and one of the things which came up was that 2 of the rooms (it is a 5 bed house) are not legal height - they are 1.5cm short. The hosue has had a lot of renos done in the last few years but they have a final sign off certificate about all of the works saying it is all ok. So basically the certifictae says it is ok but the building inspector says it isnt. Or does the certificate supercede what anyone else says???

Obviously I want to clear this up ahead of the auction. The REA is confused and cant understand any of it. Or is she just trying to palm me off?

Or does it not matter? Obviously a 5 bed house is more valuable than a 3 bed if we resell but if we plan to rent out and hold, will it matter? IS 1.5cm enough to be concerned about?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance as I am so confused.
:confused:

whats on the floor? is it carpet? are their solid floors under? eg: if carpet on hardwood flooring, cant you take the carpet off and therefore increase the height around 1.5cm?

Yeah - my husband said similar. There are hardwood floors and he suggested trimming either the floor or ceiling. But that leads me to think 1.5cm isnt that much to get worries about???

Hi Red

The Building Code of Australia is .... a Code!

It describes how big and small and fat and thin everything should be. For example, a door should an even 3mm gap between it and the jam and that 3mm should be the same all the way around the door.

If the gap varies, this would be marked as a DEFECT on a Building Inspection report.

The height deficiency you describe is too small to be of any practical importance, however the height does not comply with the BCA and so the Inspector must report it as a defect

Hope this helps

Kristine

wouldn't worry about it. the council signing off saying they approve of the property in it's current form is sufficient as this will be registered on the properties file for any future purchasers.

the garage for our ppor was over the council stip by 7cm, but council issued paperwork saying they were happy with the impingement and that the garage can stay in it's current situation ... so no problems. no one is going to make us tear it down.

however, when we replace the garage to make it wider and higher we will have to make sure it's fully on the property - so it will be 7cm shorter. not worth losing sleep over.

let us know how you go at the auction.

Back