HELP - Automotive Mechanical Advice

I have an automatic EB EFI Faimont that has an intermittent problem and would like to throw this open to any mechanics who could offer some advice.

When driving it occassionally misses and sometime stalls when I pull up at an intersection. When it stalls I can restart it after a few seconds of cranking over but it still continues to miss fire.

I have had it fully serviced and tuned but the mechanic cant find any problems because the fault is not there when he's looking at the vehicle.

I notice it does it when the cars been sitting in the cold for a few hours at night and I drive it home. It also does it overnight when its been cold and I drive it the next morning.

All the times it has done it, its been after the engines reached operating temperature - not whilst its still cold.

Im working on a possible theory there may be moistures in the tank that condensates inside the top of the fuel tank after its been sitting in the cold for a period of time, and its then being picked up in the fuel line. In day time temperatures the fault does not occur.

Can anyone mechanically qualified offer any advice :confused:

Last edited:
From memory you're vehicle has a dfi module on the side of the distributer try replacing this you can get a whole replacment distrubter for around 100-200 dollars and there not overly complicated to fit by a qualified mechanic if this does not resolve the problem I will be amazed.

Thanks KC. Would this module cause the fault intermittently? I thought if it was a module it would either work or not work? Doesnt do it during the day.

could be dodgy ignition leads. They tend to cause the engine to missfire and stall occasionaly and then 5 min later be good as gold.
The mechanic should have picked that up tho.

I heard of something similar to this awhile ago and it turned out to be the air intake sensor. It took ages to find it as its not the first place you would look. Hope it helps. Chris

Thanks KC. Would this module cause the fault intermittently? I thought if it was a module it would either work or not work? Doesnt do it during the day.

Sometimes they can its a hard one though they tend to play whilst hot and as they cool down the will go again.

Had a similar problem with an EF.

Revs would drop when slowing down for an intersection, and it would sometimes cut out all together.

After much messing around, finally got it fixed by a good mechanic.

He pulled the throttle box and idle speed controller (I think) apart, cleaned them thoroughly and put them back together. This is what fixed it. The buildup of crap in there was causing the sensors problems.

the throttle body may need cleaning as they tend to fill up with carbon
most mechanics miss this in servicing,how old are your spark plugs and
leads, leads are most common to make engines miss or the distributor
cap may have a crack in it.
first things I would look at any way.....
good mechanics are hard to find as after a few years they all seem
to leave the trade because the pay and job isnt the best...

Recently had a similar Electronic Ignition prob with our mercruiser.......the thing would get warm and then the V8 wouldnt troll a minnow lure :)

replacing the "module" fixed this challenge.

ta
rolf

I'm not gloating.. I'd certainly never do that... but older cars rarely have problems that are so hard to diagnose :) And, of course, there's such an enormous wealth of knowledge about them.. about the common problems and how to fix them..

Its well worth considering a classic car if you want to avoid these sort of intermittent, hard to diagnose problems in the future :)

Back