Help! First home purchase in Perth WA

We are about to purchase our first home and would like to spend $450k but can budget for $500k if necessary. This purchase would just be an entry into the market and a stepping stone towards our dream home. We want to purchase somewhere with significant capital growth and I have been looking into the Northern Beach estates; Catalina Estate and Alkimos Estate. Catalina Estate is surrounded by existing infrastructure, close to the beach and Mindarie Marina however I know there is a lot of development to happen in Alkimos so I?m not sure what the better investment is. I?ve had mixed feedback so far, some saying these are bad investments some saying you can?t go wrong. I?ve also had some appreciated advice to look into established houses in Bassendean and Forrestfield instead. Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

I want to live in Port Coogee lol but we need to earn a lot of equity and have a few more properties before that's a reality! We will be living in our first purchase until we earn equity to move closer to where we want so we would live almost anywhere to start with just to get into the market and see some good growth

Isn't this for you to live in? Don't you have any personal preferences about where you want to live?

Pretty broad question and all personal preference really.

Me? I would go closer in on a larger block. Draw a 15km radius around Perth CBD and pick a spot where you can get a decent size block where you would want to live. I did it last October and I am pretty content and happy with my decision.

My theory (**warning, opinion coming**) is that if all this rezoning all over Perth goes through to encourage higher density living, the growth will slow on the new estates to the north. Who is going to pay $500k for a house and land in Alkimos when for the same price you could get a house and land in Girrawheen only 12km from CBD (approx.) on a comparable sized lot? Not to mention the cost of living up there is going to be greater when you factor in travel (if you work central). Plus if you are young you may prefer being closer to the city and such to be able to go out and enjoy yourself.

If I wanted a shiny new house, close to the beach on a big block and didn't mind travel, I would buy in Lancelin south (serious). 850m2 behind the beach.

Thanks Boeman! Some good advice :) I would much prefer to be south of the river than North but I was under the impression Alkimos would be a good investment but with all the feedback I'm thinking not. I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration and have a look around. Cheers :)

Taking everything into account I am giving up on Alkimos....and also now considering established....now back to the drawing board to find a suitable suburb !!

Taking everything into account I am giving up on Alkimos....and also now considering established....now back to the drawing board to find a suitable suburb !!

If it's a stepping stone home and you like the Coogee area then buy something in Coolbellup

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-coolbellup-117434215

This will become a duplex block when it's rezoned and you look for something that you can retain the front house and sell off the back block or build in the back block and you have 2 houses. That's how you make money

Thank-you so much for your advice :) I have actually just tonight started looking at suburbs set for rezoning and realising this is the way to go! I was looking at Forrestfield but Coolbellup would be much preferred! We will be checking out this one!! Thanks again!!

If it's a stepping stone home and you like the Coogee area then buy something in Coolbellup

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-coolbellup-117434215

This will become a duplex block when it's rezoned and you look for something that you can retain the front house and sell off the back block or build in the back block and you have 2 houses. That's how you make money

I'd go High Wycombe over Forrestfield. And coolbellup over the others if you can get in at your price bracket.

If you're looking for subdivisable land, do you know how to assess development potential? Time to start getting familiar with the R codes!

I think coolbellup too!! As I have literally only started learning about this rezoning jazz tonight I need to do a lot of research

I'd go High Wycombe over Forrestfield. And coolbellup over the others if you can get in at your price bracket.

If you're looking for subdivisable land, do you know how to assess development potential? Time to start getting familiar with the R codes!

If you are going down the path of established with rezoning/subidivision potential, try and find a place where the existing house can be retained when you subdivide.

Try and get a nice, flat, rectangular block. It makes subdivision very easy and cheap (more designs can fit, no retaining/minimal earthworks).

Other small desirables are existing power domes rather than overhead power, good street frontage, easy side access to create a battle axe block and such.

Plus in the interim you get all the fun of having a big backyard to potter in.

Do all this and build at the rear, and you will probably be able to rent out the two properties with even or +ve cashflow and move to Port Coogee.

We build a LOT of very nice homes there, we have a new display starting soon too so it must be a hotspot for our level of builds.

Thank you so much for the info boeman! Finding this forum has been a lifesaver! I've received so much information that is greatly appreciated! To think I could have been living in Alkimos if I hadn't discovered this!

Thanks again ill definitely be taking all your advice on board :)

If you are going down the path of established with rezoning/subidivision potential, try and find a place where the existing house can be retained when you subdivide.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I am in the same boat, as I am on a single income going in.

I will be looking at max $400k to spend.

Prefer the Cannington, Queens Park, Beckenham and Kenwick area. Any other suggestion? I realised that with my budget, I can only get a 3 bedroom units, whilst in Kenwick, perhaps, I could still score a 4 bedders.

Any suggestions?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-gosnells-116987227

Am thinking this, @ 300k with $50k deposit, even if I had to rent it out, it will be a breakeven.

Back