Help from Japanese speaker/reader

If any Japanese speaker might be able to help, I'm having difficulty getting information about a ferry ticket. The company has a Japanese-only website, and I've figured out enough to get the timetable and fares, but am trying to find out about booking tickets (which seems to only be possible by telephone or via a travel agent) and whether it's possible to break the journey on a single ticket or if two separate tickets would be required. I've asked both a local JTB and JNTO office and neither are able to help much.

The Lonely Planet guide reckons breaking the journey is possible provided the whole trip is completed in 7 days, but the local JNTO office reckon they contacted the line and were told you can't. I did years ago, but I can't remember now whether I had just one ticket or two (I'm fairly sure it was only one though).

The company is called Marix Line and their website is here. The ferry is the Coral Queen from Kagoshima to Naha in Okinawa, where I'm interested in stopping for two nights at Yoron island just north of Okinawa (in early March 2008). Basically I just want to know if I can do this with a single Kagoshima-Naha ticket, and if it's possible to book a ticket from Australia (and if so, how). The website has a request information page, and I've already sent them a message in English but haven't received a response yet.

If anyone can either read Japanese and decipher the website enough to find these details, or if you're in Japan, possibly phone them and ask, it would be much appreciated. The query page gives phone numbers in Kagoshima and Tokyo.

Many thanks.

GP

Thanks Steve & Sue.

Google translation looks much the same as Babelfish. It's starting to look like the details I want are not on the website though.

Cheers,
GP

Thanks Steve & Sue.

Google translation looks much the same as Babelfish. It's starting to look like the details I want are not on the website though.

Cheers,
GP
here is your post translated to Japanese and back to English.
If you use concise short sentances why not send a message ein Japanese using babblefish

If it is helped with which Japanese speaker, if it causes and the れ is not concerning ferryboat ticket obtaining information I' which has difficulty; M.

There was the Japanese simply web sight at the company, ticket of the timetable and fee and reservation (it calculated that AM which is tried is found possibility simply it seems the way with the telephone or with the travel agency) concerning, but to obtain, I' Ve how when sufficiently 2 separate tickets are required and possible it' breaking travelling of single ticket; S or.

I' Ve local JTB the office of both is helped request and JNTO and both many. As for the lonely planetary guide is completed considers all travelling which is and possibly offered breaking travelling on the 7th, but can' to which the office of local JNTO communicated those, was said to the line; T is considered.
I year did before, but exactly there was 1 ticket in me or 2 now you have remembered, how I can' As for t (I' But just m considerably truly 1, was). The company is called Marix Line, as for the web sight is here. To Okinawa from Kagoshima where the ferryboat can make interest between stop of 2 nights with fair north of the island of Okinawa Yoron cause Naha the queen of the coral, I' (At quick 2008 March where it is m).

To the basis as for me I exactly you want, can do the single ticket of Kagoshima Kagoshima-Naha remain, whether or not, possible it' and knowing and reserving the ticket from Australia; S (in that case, how).

There to be an information requirement page in the web sight, I' Ve sent English message to those already, but haven' T received response still. Anyone reads the Japanese, to find these details you can decipher the 10分の web sight whether, or Japanese you' Re, uses the telephone on those perhaps, asks, that is recognized greatly.

The page of the inquiry gives the telephone number of Kagoshima and Tokyo

I received an email back from my Japanese friend... She wrote:
I can help Steve's friend to sending him some information about the ferry. I saw the web site and think that they do not sell their ticket by online. Also I am not sure how can we get ticket, thus I will e mail and call them tomorrow.

Any way please tell him to send me e mail and tell me about travel plan in Kagoshima and Naha, so I can help him.
Send me a PM & I will give you her email.
Steve

From what I can gather, there are 6 day and 8 day Southern Island courses and a special Yoron Island course. I don't know the details. I can't find how you can buy the ticket.

You may have to go to Kagoshima on the day or a few days before to buy the ticket. Or you may be able to go to a train station in Tokyo or into a convenience store to book a ticket there, as sometimes this is where you buy tickets in Japan.

Thanks again, Steve. I've received an email from your friend and have sent her a reply, so hopefully will get things sorted shortly.

So far she's mentioned that booking has to be by phone or travel agent, but at least I can book and then just pay when I get there. No advance payment seems to be required.

Am now trying to find out about breaking the journey at Yoron Island for a couple of days.

Cheers,
GP

Been there, done that, didn't buy the T-shirt

Well the holiday has been and gone now, and it all went smoothly. The ferry idea disappeared from the plan though, and we ended up flying to the islands and back instead.

For anyone interested, there's a write-up with photos here. It's five pages with a total of 251 photos, which are all on ImageShack, so you'll need to give the pages some time to load. Dial-up could be difficult.

Thanks to those who helped, and particularly to Steve and his Japanese friend, who did ultimately help with some of the accommodation.

Cheers,
GP

looks like you had a great time... I feel quite homesick. I love Japan.
Its a shame I didn't see the posts in December... I have quite a number of friends in Fukuoka and Okayama. They are my 2 favourite cities in Japan. Also, lots of other contacts through Kyushu.
So, maybe I can help next time!!
Pen

Penny,

Thanks. I think 3 times might just about be enough now though - too many other places to see. And I'm getting sick of the sight of ¥100 shops. :D

GP

Back