Help! How could I go thru 8gb in one day!

Limewire and imesh were popular programs for sharing files over the internet, otherwise known as peer-peer file sharing. Very similar to torrenting, but no search engine websites, as I mentioned earlier, when you searched, you were looking at all the files of everyone, who was also currently logged on the same file sharing network you were logged onto. So if you had imesh running, you could only see logged in imesh users, etc.. But don't worry about imesh and limewire, they aren't popular anymore.

Say you want to download something like a free demo of a program, but the website is currently down :( You can try searching for it on one of the torrent search websites I mentioned previously: demonoid, isohunt, torrentz and the box.bz

You find a torrent of what you want to download, and the website is displaying lots of seeders, and some positive comments for this torrent :D

You download the small torrent file, usually only around .1mb

If you don't have it, download utorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads and install it.

You then start up utorrent and load your torrent, or just double click the torrent and utorrent will start.

When the torrent has finished downloading, feel free to seed for as long as you like.

I'm not sure if you're messing with me or not :confused:
First it's "I don't want an electronic washer" now it's "I don't know how to download anything from the internet, allthough I'm asking questions on an internet forum, of which i've been a member for years" :rolleyes:

Gee guys, I feel really old here. What is seeding? What is Vuze? And what the heck are Torrents?
Don't worry Skater, I have never heard of any of those either. :)

We had a neighbour that was logging onto our wireless. Had no idea until we got a lovely email from Optus saying that we had neared the end of the amount of data we could access in a month. Fixed that up quick smart.

An acquaintance of my brother (she is by no means a friend of mine!) said her family uses their neighbors wireless. My father questioned the ethics of it and her opinion was "oh well, if they don't have a password on it it's their fault". Aren't some people just lovely. :mad:

I'm not sure if you're messing with me or not :confused:
First it's "I don't want an electronic washer" now it's "I don't know how to download anything from the internet, allthough I'm asking questions on an internet forum, of which i've been a member for years" :rolleyes:

LOL! I'm not messing with you. :eek: I know how to download programs etc, but just can't get my head around torrents and their uses.

The benefits of living in another country.

$50 per month, unlimited everything from downloading, surfing, skype, the works and 100mbps and its going to get a lot faster.

The benefits of living in another country.

$50 per month, unlimited everything from downloading, surfing, skype, the works and 100mbps and its going to get a lot faster.

Ditto
its going to be hard adjusting to speaeds measured in Kb/s and limits
for half a year, then getting speed for half a year
sent from 58Mb wireless connection
& the new going travelling laptop,
and it feels slow compared to the 100MB hardwire​

I also like to enable hiding the SSID broadcast, so to someone standing outside or even in your home, they can't even see any network available, without you telling them what your SSID and password is.

Another security measure is to enable mac address filtering, which is basically the unique id of every networkable device, such as phones, pc's, game consoles, etc. Setting these up is a little more fiddly, but it's all explained in the router manual. Even if someone knows your SSID and password, they still can't get on if you haven't put thier mac addess on the list in the router.

Just remember that neither of these are an adequate security measure - they will only prevent novice users.

It's pretty trivial for someone to bypass your wireless security if all you've done is hide your SSID or enable mac address filtering - most WiFi connection hunting software you can download will be able to get past them.

If your neighbours are novice users, they aren't likely to care, but if they do want to piggy back on your service - it would be easy for them to find and use your WiFi connection even if you hide your SSID and add mac filtering.

WPA security is what you should focus on - that's the only effective way of securing your service.

There are people out there who actively go hunting for unsecured WiFi networks that they can piggyback on so that they can do illegal things using someone else's service. It does happen.

LOL! I'm not messing with you. :eek: I know how to download programs etc, but just can't get my head around torrents and their uses.

Limewire. Imagine a progrma where you can search just for things to download. So you enter a name and it bring sup a bunch of names. You double click, and it downloads the files to your computer.

Torrents. A file which you woudl earch for on the internet, or via a program to download materail- i.e. a torrent for IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE THE MOVIE. You would then enter the torrent (link) into a program and it downloads the files to your computer.

basically.

a torrent is a key to a file broken up into sections, (I am this big, this is the SHA1# of my content, I am broken into xxxxx pieces, and my host has sections YYYYnnnYYnnYYYYnnnnnnnnYYYYYnnnnnn) so it doesnt even matter if the filenames dont match
torrent aware downloaders use that map to download/upload all the segments, in any order at all, from anyone who has that bit of the file, and assemble the segments in order
it can start and stop in the middle, and has extensive error correction for every segment
you can have the start and end, and be dl parts you dont have at the same time ul parts you do have
less intelligent client systems have to download the file sequentially and one bad bit can crash the whole thing
i have uTorrent (and WinMx(less intelligent) some old tv not torrented yet) on a thumbdrive

Limewire:noun;def.remote virus update software (see also imesh bearshare)

Edit, I did use it to find a copy of Its a wonderful life on dvd.
"Every time a bell rings an angel slaps that annoying little kid"
Its not christmas without its a wonderful life​

Last edited:
An acquaintance of my brother (she is by no means a friend of mine!) said her family uses their neighbors wireless. My father questioned the ethics of it and her opinion was "oh well, if they don't have a password on it it's their fault". Aren't some people just lovely. :mad:

i'd agree with this acquaintance, although personally I wouldn't rely on someone keeping their network unsecured permanently, so I'd rather get my own connection.

if people leave their network unsecured they deserve it.
there's been so many education campaigns about it.
if they don't know how to do it they should pay a professional to setup their network, or shouldn't buy wireless.

they should be thankful it's their download quota that disappears and not their money from bank accounts.

mind you I got bitten by it once myself, because I was to lazy to setup proper security, and relied upon MAC filtering to keep unsophisticated intruders out. one day i saw 4GB drop off the quota, next day my network was secured.

Whenever we travel with the laptop we seem to be able to tap into unsecured wireless. Admittedly we don't go to a long list of places, but still ...

Here I think it is the next-door neighbours (we know they have the internet as she has a rather busy Facebook life) and at my parent's place it is the business next door to them. That business has the most terrible ISP password too (you can get the password really easily from an unsecured wireless connection).

Always a good source of amusement.

Limewire. Imagine a progrma where you can search just for things to download. So you enter a name and it bring sup a bunch of names. You double click, and it downloads the files to your computer.

Torrents. A file which you woudl earch for on the internet, or via a program to download materail- i.e. a torrent for IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE THE MOVIE. You would then enter the torrent (link) into a program and it downloads the files to your computer.

basically.

a torrent is a key to a file broken up into sections, (I am this big, this is the SHA1# of my content, I am broken into xxxxx pieces, and my host has sections YYYYnnnYYnnYYYYnnnnnnnnYYYYYnnnnnn) so it doesnt even matter if the filenames dont match
torrent aware downloaders use that map to download/upload all the segments, in any order at all, from anyone who has that bit of the file, and assemble the segments in order
it can start and stop in the middle, and has extensive error correction for every segment
you can have the start and end, and be dl parts you dont have at the same time ul parts you do have
less intelligent client systems have to download the file sequentially and one bad bit can crash the whole thing
i have uTorrent (and WinMx(less intelligent) some old tv not torrented yet) on a thumbdrive

Limewire:noun;def.remote virus update software (see also imesh bearshare)

Thankyou both for that. The fog is starting to lift. I've never downloaded any large files and am always amazed at the things that others do online.

if people leave their network unsecured they deserve it.
there's been so many education campaigns about it.
if they don't know how to do it they should pay a professional to setup their network, or shouldn't buy wireless.

There are a few precedents of legal action being taken in this sort of situation (albeit minor fines):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6960304.stm
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1813969,00.html

Don't know I'd quite say someone deserves it though, guess it's a bit like leaving your house unlocked then saying you deserve to have intruders! Obviously easy access to wireless routers and little understanding of the risks is the core issue.

if you leave your door unlocked consciously (i.e not just forget to lock it) -you deserve it to.

i'm sick of modern society teaching people to shift blame on others instead of doing the sensible thing

It's pretty trivial for someone to bypass your wireless security if all you've done is hide your SSID or enable mac address filtering - most WiFi connection hunting software you can download will be able to get past them.

There are people out there who actively go hunting for unsecured WiFi networks that they can piggyback on so that they can do illegal things using someone else's service. It does happen.

By the way, I was just reading that there is now a WiFi cracking kit for sale off-the-shelf in China.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/China-Wi-Fi-Network-WEP-WPA,news-6695.html

Back