Help me find a PPOR - min 1 acre Perth

Congratulations.

Not going to lie, I am far more interested in the build and who you go with. I can definitely help with informed opinions on a lot of the builders at the level you are looking at. Have either worked for them, or know someone who does/has.

Congratulations.

Not going to lie, I am far more interested in the build and who you go with. I can definitely help with informed opinions on a lot of the builders at the level you are looking at. Have either worked for them, or know someone who does/has.

Boeman,
You'll be disappointed but I'm probably going to use the builder that I use for my developments.
They have a number of nice spec levels which are already 1000% better than my current house and where I want to branch out to something unique I can.
Our design and needs are somewhat unique but nothing spectacular - I don't need gold leaf taps :)
If I'm to fit everything into my budget then I don't think I need the high end builder markups. Of course I really have no idea about high end builders so I'm most likely talking out of my ar$e.

What you are not going to use a high end builder... mmmm ... me thinks you are smarter than that, they load up the margins;)

Congratulations.

Boeman,
I'd be interested in your opinion on what the positives (and negatives) are for using a high end builder.

I think your flu drugs have affected your typing :) as I'm now confused. Are you saying high end builder good or bad?

I am not on any drugs .....that's the problem at the moment, but don't believe in medication, tough it out.... or shoot me.

I meant you will save money if you go with your builder, best way to go I think.:)

How is it all looking?

I am envisaging something like this :D

757551-c8266e88-3c61-11e4-b4eb-3aaea0238ac5.jpg

I think thats the guest house isn't it?

Der that's the pool house - it's next to the pool :)

Designing is going well. It's way more fun designing a dream house that can spread out over 10 acres than something crammed onto 300sqm.

We are going single storey with an attic with verandahs all around. Mr Westminster is happy with his workshop and garages and man cave.

Boeman,
I'd be interested in your opinion on what the positives (and negatives) are for using a high end builder.

Just saw this.

Positive:
Quality of finish is second to none. Every little element has the best trades on them. We can afford the best rates since you are paying us top dollar, and we have less overheads due to lower volume of work so less office staff. I know for a fact most of our trades make 20% on others. However, we expect perfection.

Customisation, both for design and during construction. Supervisors really go above and beyond, as do the trades. Our tiler, electrician, painter, cabinet maker, stone supplier etc all meet the owner to discuss and suggest based on their experience. Supervisors often raise variations after they pick up things that wont look right. They don't just build to the plan, they think about practicality and presentation and discuss with the owner.

Build times normally a little better. Not saying it gets built as quick as an APG, but because the supervisors only have a few jobs, they are onto it and they push the job through.

Last but most importantly, you are spending a lot of money and boutique builders know it. We don't directly advertise at all, just word of mouth and repeat business. Internally it is a big push by the owner to ensure we do everything we can to keep customers happy and informed. We don't sell houses every week and luxury quality has to be achieved.

Negatives:
Cost. It costs money to have your house built as per above. Things have margins, as we all know. That said, normally can get an air-con "giveaway" as $20k to seal the deal on $1.5m is nothing. But, we charge for the service we provide.

Maybe a little bit going against one of my points above, some things take time. The tiler may be on site for months. Those louvres under your roof above your walls are a 6 week turnaround etc. Jobs keep moving but some of the finer details are a longer turnaround.

Finally, boutique builders systems aren't a flawless production line like project builders. There isn't a set way for anything. Whilst everything is documented, it is normally run more similarly to blue collar than white. Most of the staff are builders, not businessmen. Not a huge issue, but I think anyone who built through someone like Dale Alcock prior gets a shock. Our paperwork is accurate but not pretty. The emphasis is on the product and quality, not the processes and paperwork. Something to take into account.

Small note, I say "we" because I work in this industry, not trying to sell anything to anyone.

Just saw this.

Finally, boutique builders systems aren't a flawless production line like project builders. There isn't a set way for anything. Whilst everything is documented, it is normally run more similarly to blue collar than white. Most of the staff are builders, not businessmen. Not a huge issue, but I think anyone who built through someone like Dale Alcock prior gets a shock. Our paperwork is accurate but not pretty. The emphasis is on the product and quality, not the processes and paperwork. Something to take into account.

Small note, I say "we" because I work in this industry, not trying to sell anything to anyone.

Boeman, thanks so much for the detailed response.

I find the blue collar paperwork systems quite often. It can amuse, frustrate and simply work depending on the day :)

I agree with the pros and the cons. On the weekend I went and saw the Giorgi house in Dalkeith which is open for inspection as it won the 2014 Home of the Year. Mind you it's listed at 8 mill so you'd want it to be pretty darn good.

Whilst it wasn't totally my style I could appreciate some of the finer touches - it had amazing windows, seamless indoor/outdoor integration and flow and a really cohesive style that didn't jar. However I was surprised at a few things like the crap photos on the listing, the 3 minor bathrooms sharing a bathroom (I did think at 8mill they could probably afford one each yet there was an elevator to go up one floor)

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-dalkeith-117946459

Oh wow, some of those photos are truly awful, resolution-wise. I can't even say they are good or bad photos, since I can barely see anything! Not the best way to market a circa-$8m house, that's for sure.

Back