Help me save money

Holy crap that's a lot.

Telstra will bundle adsl and foxtel together and probably the other stuff to. I think you could easily save $100 a month.

Alternatively
iinet and Optus offer Fetch which has many of the same channels

I'm with iinet and for $100 a month you can get adsl and fetch

http://www.iinet.net.au/bundles/

MTR, something out of left field: How about instead of worrying how to save money, you spend your time and energy on figuring out ways to make more.

MTR, something out of left field: How about instead of worrying how to save money, you spend your time and energy on figuring out ways to make more.

Actually in fact, MTR definately knows a thing or two about "how to make more money," so the above statement does not apply

The platinum package on Foxtel shows it costs $99. You could save something there. The fetch TV is not comparable to Foxtel if you are after popular TV series and sports.

You can save a lot on internet though. TPG offers home phone and adsl2 bundle for $69.99

You can get a phone plan from virgin which includes overseas calls in the credit.

Attachments

• foxtel.jpg
    foxtel.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 38
  • virgin plans.jpg
    virgin plans.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 39
  • TPG.jpg
    TPG.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 35
Before you go cheesing it from Telstra on your mobiles, factor in domestic travel and coverage.

I spend a lot of time up and down the coast, and if I ever end up in a cr@ppy situation, I have faith my Telstra mobile will have some kind of coverage.

If I ended up stuck with Optus/Vodafone or whatever, may as well start drinking brake fluid and get it done quickly, cos your phone isn't going to help you.

Use Vaya for mobile plans. $18 per month BYO phone plan is exactly the same as my old optus $60 plan and it runs through the optus network. I know people who have been on Vaya for over a year with not one complaint.

Before you go cheesing it from Telstra on your mobiles, factor in domestic travel and coverage.

I spend a lot of time up and down the coast, and if I ever end up in a cr@ppy situation, I have faith my Telstra mobile will have some kind of coverage.

If I ended up stuck with Optus/Vodafone or whatever, may as well start drinking brake fluid and get it done quickly, cos your phone isn't going to help you.

Hi Boeman

Telechoice uses Telstra network

We've just done something similar.

Mobiles - we've always used Virgin and got on the free virgin-to-virgin plans. Currently paying about $40 I think (excluding phone) but V2V are free and we never go over the monthly cap. That includes Emma using hers for work too and for phoning UK and NZ!

Never had Foxtel - always seemed too expensive for what it was.

Just ditched Telstra/Bigpond - we were paying about $120 a month for a BASIC phone line that we never used and 50 gig per month broadband. Switched to iiNET with Fetch TV, (not without some teething troubles), and now pay $109 per month but get a lot more included on the landline, 100 gig data and a heap of TV & movie channels, including the box rental which is also a PVR, and can all be controlled over the net or via your phone. Haven't saved much in the grand scheme of things but getting a LOT more for the same money.

Cheers.

The platinum package on Foxtel shows it costs $99. You could save something there. The fetch TV is not comparable to Foxtel if you are after popular TV series and sports.

You can save a lot on internet though. TPG offers home phone and adsl2 bundle for $69.99

You can get a phone plan from virgin which includes overseas calls in the credit.

The reason we are paying $135 is because we have foxtel access in 2 living areas, I know crazy.

MTR, if you enjoy having Foxtel in two living areas and your only reason to get rid of it is 'because I want to save a handful of coin' then just keep it! Life is too short to worry about saving a couple of bucks a month.

My initial post was all about mindset. Switch your thinking from 'I need to watch every dollar' to 'How can I increase my monthly income?'

Does that make sense?

Mr Fab
I think you got me wrong, read some of my posts on what I do to make money and posts on my thoughts on frugality. Money is not the issue, and I am certainly not a penny pincher by any stretch, quite the opposite. I don't plan to change my lifestyle and the luxuries are here to stay and I agree if you have the money then you should enjoy it today.

I am simply curious what others do in this area and whether it will work for me, I know I am paying way too much for this and have been too lazy to research it and also find its a maze and I don't understand it, too many products in the market place. It will also come down to how difficult it will be to change suppliers in terms of disruptions as I don't want any stress.

Cheers
MTR:)

I get the impression MTR can definitely afford it. But i think there needs to be a distinction between optimising expenses and being frugal. She isn't the latter.

Yes, I agree, same as if I was purchasing a TV for example I will always shop it to find the best value.

I am always impressed with the savvy young guns on this forum who know how to find great deals, from credit cards, flights etc. its not something comes easy to me. I just learnt how to down load movies the other day (oops did I say that).

I understand what you're saying MTR. The point I was trying to make was 'At what point does a focus on saving money become unproductive?'

I mean, what are we talking about here? 40 or 50 bucks a month? I spend more than that on beer down the pub in one night. Surely there are better things to focus one's attention on.

I think the easiest thing if you like Foxtel is to hang around on hold to Telstra for awhile and get them to bundle it all together.

I understand what you're saying MTR. The point I was trying to make was 'At what point does a focus on saving money become unproductive?'

I mean, what are we talking about here? 40 or 50 bucks a month? I spend more than that on beer down the pub in one night. Surely there are better things to focus one's attention on.

Nowadays the idea 40 or 50 bucks *more* to spend at the pub each month sounds like a great use of the savings (if only I went to the pub). ;)

Back when our cashflow was being squeezed and it looked like we might have to resort to a diet of baked beans and 2-minute noodles, we went through all our fixed expenses (insurances, phones/net etc.). Managed to save a total of ~$400/month across 6 or 7 products/items. 1 item saving $40-50 doesn't mean much, but if you can replicate it across a few times/expenses it makes a big difference.

As for mobile phones, I could never give up on Telstra for something cheaper from Optus or Vodafone, the mobile coverage outside the big cities/regional centres is getting better, but it's still marginal.

Back