help - objection letter for new development

A couple of days ago I got a letter about new construction a few doors away from my PPoR. I'm worried that it's going to block my main bedroom view - it has
viewing windows on one side, no walls; so the thoughts of waking up looking towards concrete makes me sick :eek:.

So, early next week I intend to view the plans at council and submit an objection letter if the new building is going to block my precious view.

Of course questions abound, so I need your precious thoughts please. Has anyone experienced similar issue? Did you submit an objection letter? How did it go? Are there any specific format/ points I should use for the letter?

Appreciate any input as always. Thank you.

^^^ bs!

neighbour consultation is there for a reason.

we have to appease neighbours all the time.

does your master suite have views (as in hills, city, ocean etc) or you just don't want to wake up and see a house where there didn't used to be one...?

would it help if you let the people build what they want but you ask for the finished floor level to be reduced? sometimes this helps immensely.

check the plans and the level the finished floor level is set. check if that is higher or lower than the street. if it is, in fact, higher than the street you could argue the imposing nature of the dwelling, the sheer bulk of the scale of development and the negative impact this will have on the streetscape - and that you request the floor level be reduced by 500mm or so.

there WILL be a compromise here. a shire or council won't listen to a flat out "i hate it. all i see is concrete", but they will listen to the argument above.

^^^ bs!

does your master suite have views (as in hills, city, ocean etc) or you just don't want to wake up and see a house where there didn't used to be one...?

would it help if you let the people build what they want but you ask for the finished floor level to be reduced? sometimes this helps immensely.

check the plans and the level the finished floor level is set. check if that is higher or lower than the street. if it is, in fact, higher than the street you could argue the imposing nature of the dwelling, the sheer bulk of the scale of development and the negative impact this will have on the streetscape - and that you request the floor level be reduced by 500mm or so.

there WILL be a compromise here. a shire or council won't listen to a flat out "i hate it. all i see is concrete", but they will listen to the argument above.

I agree with BC. Put forward a legitimate, well put together arguement against the DA and it will definitely be listened to

Hi there
having had developments built next to us and also assisted my brother when he was in dispute with his neighbours, can say it is better to try and recommend improvements to the development rather than just say don't do it.
For example our neighbour did actually set his property further away from the boundary as we highlighted that his structure would impede sunlight getting into our northern windows.
Similarly my brother did have a smaller development after the objections from the neighbours - even though they were flat out - shouldn't happen type objections.
Remember you have to live with your neighbours - so try to make suggestions (which still preserve your usage of your property) but also account for the fact they need to be able to also use their property.
thanks

Thank you for the thoughts, esp Blue Card.

It was a shop and already closed when I moved in Jan; so I never had a chance to know the owners.

180 degree view to hills. The land for new construction's width is parallel with my windows. If they build too high (my window level) it'll cover 60%+ of the view.

I do let them build (it adds value to the area), I'm just concerned with the layout that potentially can reduce my property value (i.e. existence of big viewing window that doesn't have good view).

check the plans and the level the finished floor level is set. check if that is higher or lower than the street.
The council rep said "lower" but doesn't know how much lower, which is why I'm going to the council next Tuesday to see myself.

The saga continues...

For example our neighbour did actually set his property further away from the boundary as we highlighted that his structure would impede sunlight getting into our northern windows
Thanks Raddles - I'll learn from your experience. Can the council provide me with the owner/ architect contact details?

Remember you have to live with your neighbours
Yes my consolation if things don't work out is to hope that the new block is filled with gorgeous, melrose-place style neighbours.

HI there
when we were served with a letter it referred to a website where we could review the DA - the owner and architect details were in amongst the material submitted - so I expect you will be able to obtain that information and talk to the neighbours
thanks

Back