Help on design please!!!

Hi, I'm hoping to get opinions/suggestions. I'm thinking of building a house but we made a change to the plan by widening the bathroom, laundry and bedrooms 2 & 3. Now, we've been left with a space we don't know what to do with between bedroom 4 and the kitchen. It measures 2.9m by 2.2m. We were thinking of putting some storage. Some ideas we had were to include a pantry, linen and/or walk-in robe to bedroom 4. The sales consultant suggested we would get more value by creating a computer niche (see attached plan) as we are effectively creating another room. I'm not so sure a computer niche will add value in this case as it can't have a window on our design, only a skylight. What do you think would add the most value? Would a room without a window put you off buying a property?

Attachments

• Plan.gif
    Plan.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 168
Let me tell you I know nothing about this type of question and I'm just providing an idea.

I totally agree with your concept of a walk in robe for Bedroom 4. If this can not be done, I would leave it as open space as this would provide a large open room from the kitchen.

I'm guessing Bedroom one is on the top floor?

I would use the existing pantry as a doorway to a larger pantry/storeroom accessible from the kitchen with sliders.

Make sure you get water service to fridge space for water/ice fridge :rolleyes:(Costs about $80)

Attachments

• Plan forum.jpg
    Plan forum.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 104
I'm with Pa1nter; I'd create a scullery, which is becoming very trendy. It's bigger than a walk-in pantry, with an extra sink, dishwasher etc, so you can keep all your "mess" out of the kitchen, and keep the kitchen looking gorgeous while you whip up gourmet delights. :)

I remembered this room from a house I was daydreaming about a few days ago.. You could keep it as multi-purpose room with glass sliding doors and/or roller blinds.. kids room, office.. just an idea.

How about 50:50 - namely a wardrobe for bed 4 2.9 x 600mm and a large pantry in kitchen 2.9 x 1.5.

The wardrobe could just be one of those built in types with the pantry still big enough to be worthwhile.

Cheers

Everything about it (size, location, skylight) is ideal for a computer nook.

Failing that, I agree with a 50/50 Bedroom 4 robe/extended pantry.

Regardless, I'd also try and stuff in heaps of linen cupboards on the left side of that space, along the hallway facing the bathroom/laundry/bedrooms.

I agree with extending bed 4, you can see where the wall used to be by the red line.
I also like having pantry access from the kitchen, and I put doors in on the hallway side aswell. You might even want to divide the pantry into two? As in linen on one side, pantry on the other.
The other thing I did was swap the washing machine location, so that any noises, even stuff like water going through the pipes, will be minimized. You might want to rearrange the bathroom so that the shower isn't on the neighbouring wall of bed 2 for the same reason?

picture.php

Sorry for the boring picture... I only now thought of what else I should have included! I can't believe I didn't even put in some deer heads on at least a few of the walls :mad:
It still looks like a nice house without the deer however.

I would open it up to the kitchen and run the pantry along the left hand side of the nook, with a computer bench along the other 2 sides. This would be invaluable for doing household accounts, kids homework etc.

Sorry, I should've clarified Roachy, it's actually a picture of the back half of the house. There is a lounge room, bedroom 1 and double garage at the front of the property. I've attached the whole design to make it clearer.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Much appreciated. Now, that you mention it, I have seen a lot of the large pantry/scullery rooms at display homes. It does look like a trend that's happening.

The computer niche also seems like a trend that's happening. vbplease, that computer room with the glass looks amazing. I wonder if people might think house looks like an office :confused: I do want the home to have 'wow factor' which I think the glass creates.

I don't mind not using the space for wardrobe storage for bedroom 4 as bedroom 4 is quite long (4.3m) so putting a built-in in the room itself won't make the room look small. I was just thinking of a walk-in robe to store large items like a vacuum cleaner. Where do people store their larger items like a vacuum cleaner, golf clubs, etc.?

Attachments

• Full plan.gif
    Full plan.gif
    37.7 KB · Views: 105
Good point vincenzo. I hadn't thought of the noise from the washing machine and shower. Maybe flip the bathroom with the door coming in from the hallway near bedroom 2.

Love it :D

Are you all serious about the deer heads? My stepson has one he shot himself (regretted it at the time and still does, but still hangs it up) I think they are awful, but the worst moment was when my girlfriend (very herbal) saw it and in front of him said, you shouldnt have dead things in the house, it is bad karma. Couldnt head her off at the pass and get her out of there quick enough.

Hi Buying_Freedom,
I am assuming you are looking for either resale or as a rental prospect. A second WIR is not going to add resale value, although it might help with 'rentability' (for groups) although not rental value. Assuming the person you are selling to is buying to live in, it would be a very specific family (or two singles) looking for a second WIR. A study nook will add to 'saleability' as it is still a 4bdr, but has a room for the computer and one bedroom doesn't have to be used as a study. The skylight idea is a good one and a bench accross is cheap to put in and will cost next to nothing.

It is a big enough area that you could make a built in wardrobe, not walk in and I would definately go the large walk in pantry/scullery. I would love to have one of those, I do have a walk in pantry but would love a huge one such as you could achieve here.

I'm with Pa1nter; I'd create a scullery, which is becoming very trendy. It's bigger than a walk-in pantry, with an extra sink, dishwasher etc, so you can keep all your "mess" out of the kitchen, and keep the kitchen looking gorgeous while you whip up gourmet delights. :)

Do these sculleries have an "extra" dishwasher or is it the only dishwasher. I couldn't stand carting things that far to the dishwasher and then carting them back to put them away.

I do know some kitchens have two dishwashers so you move the dishes from clean to dirty and back again. I imagine it saves a lot of packing and unpacking of drawers/cupboards, as long as you don't get confused easily.

My sislter-in-law is married to an Italian and says some Italians have second kitchens behind the "show" kitchen. The second kitchen is used for all cooking and mess and the show kitchen is not used at all, but just looks good.

Anybody else heard of this. I think it is just bizarre.

Saw a house on TV on one of those "Britain's best houses" or something like that, they showed half a dozen houses and people voted for the "best".

They showed this three level house that was basically all white and totally bare of any personal possessions of any note. The interviewer was a bit bemused as the blurb said there were 3 kids living there. Sure enough, 3 pristine kids rooms.

It got the better of the interviewer and he asked how on earth the house stayed so immaculate. So the owner took him to a door which led to a staircase to the basement. Here was a typical messy family room/ kitchen, a huge room with kids stuff all over the place. The family basically lived in this area while keepin the house as a show place.

Go figure!!
Marg

Do these sculleries have an "extra" dishwasher or is it the only dishwasher. I couldn't stand carting things that far to the dishwasher and then carting them back to put them away.
Depends on your budget. ;) Personally, I'd have my only dishwasher in the scullery, and also store crockery and cutlery in there, so there wouldn't be much in the way of "back and forth".
wylie said:
My sislter-in-law is married to an Italian and says some Italians have second kitchens behind the "show" kitchen. The second kitchen is used for all cooking and mess and the show kitchen is not used at all, but just looks good.

Anybody else heard of this. I think it is just bizarre.
I do think having two kitchens is bizarre, but I do like the idea of having the "mess" kept out of sight. :) I'd just have one kitchen, but with a split between the cooking and plating (in the main kitchen) and all the washing, chopping, mixing etc in the scullery.

Back