HELP! Please tell me if I can claim for things that my agent told me I can't

I am surprise by all your responses. Do you guys have any principals at all other than personal economic considerations? If every landlord thinks like that, then our tenants will only become more bolder knowing they can get away with things.

I know a great lawyer. She charges $500 phr. Got get em tiger!

Reactions: MRO
I wouldn't sweat on the little stuff. When my tenants vacated a couple Venetian blinds were broken. I was angry but then realised they are a cheap and nasty quality so I would have most likely broken them myself had i lived in the property. I just claimed water damage to the brand new vanity installed prior to them moving in.

Being a landlord isn't for everyone.

I wouldn't sweat on the little stuff. When my tenants vacated a couple Venetian blinds were broken. I was angry but then realised they are a cheap and nasty quality so I would have most likely broken them myself had i lived in the property. I just claimed water damage to the brand new vanity installed prior to them moving in.

Being a landlord isn't for everyone.

I think I calmed down now. I'll take it as an opportunity to renew. :)

great job. spruce the place up, and you will get a higher rent and make up any loss within 6 months. Your accountant can also 'scrap' lots of the old stuff, and you can start depreciating the new stuff you install.

I suggest keeping the rent at market. Dont let it fall below market, and dont be tempted to ignore things that need fixing, or replacing. Its better to have a bigger pie, than a larger slice of a small pie.

Last edited:
Sometimes, we just need a place to vent.

Good that you have calmed down, and can get back to getting it ready for the next tenant.

That probably won't come until January by the look of things.

And because tenant is now gone, I now had opportunity to visit granny flat option to make it dual rental.

If GF is going ahead, should I leave it vacant until granny flat is built to ensure access?

That probably won't come until January by the look of things.

And because tenant is now gone, I now had opportunity to visit granny flat option to make it dual rental.

If GF is going ahead, should I leave it vacant until granny flat is built to ensure access?

I'd just include it in the new tenant''s lease, that access is required, and they will not interfere (use your own words)

Back