HELP! Please tell me if I can claim for things that my agent told me I can't

It does sound like you are overreacting to what seem to be minor issues. In 7 years being managed by this agent, no repair/reno work was done on the property and you think a chipped tile qualifies as anything but wear and tear?

I haven't had any major disasters, at least not by your definition. I have had a kitchen set on fire, front doors broken down, tenants not pay, do a runner, leave rubbish, back a truck into a newly repaired roof, put many many holes in walls... (not all the same tenant or property) the list goes on, but in the scheme of things none of these are a big deal. I can't help but shake my head when I read about your 7+ year old chipped tile "problem" :eek:

A chipped tile? Are you for real?

And a rip in old, worn out carpet? Seriously?

Are you sure property investment is for you? What will you do when a REAL problem presents itself?

I am surprise by all your responses. Do you guys have any principals at all other than personal economic considerations? If every landlord thinks like that, then our tenants will only become more bolder knowing they can get away with things.

I am surprise by all your responses. Do you guys have any principals at all other than personal economic considerations? If every landlord thinks like that, then our tenants will only become more bolder knowing they can get away with things.

You really ARE Fullylucky's friend, aren't you?

So are you saying just because the house is old, tenant can cause whatever damage they want and not liable for it?

NO, I'm saying the issues you are asking about are very minor and come under 'fair wear and tear' and/or 'accidental damage' and the missing items were probably broken from being old anyway.

Did they smash holes in your doors, walls and windows? Take your kitchen with them? or use your fences and floorboards for firewood?

This is all part of being a Landlord, you need to accept that these small issues are nothing compared to what they could have done to your place.

Treat it like a business, change your mindset and your expectation of what other peoples principles should be, focus on how you can take advantage of the situation to better improve your position. (freshen up the property = higher rent). Some repairs are tax deductible immediately, improvements you can depreciate.

Remember that tenant you want to sting for an extra $100 was in your place for x amount of years putting money in your bank each week, (and probably complaining about the lack of maintenance).

"Stop thinking that everybody else is the problem and realise that you are the problem"

NO, I'm saying the issues you are asking about are very minor and come under 'fair wear and tear' and/or 'accidental damage' and the missing items were probably broken from being old anyway.

Did they smash holes in your doors, walls and windows? Take your kitchen with them? or use your fences and floorboards for firewood?

This is all part of being a Landlord, you need to accept that these small issues are nothing compared to what they could have done to your place.

Treat it like a business, change your mindset and your expectation of what other peoples principles should be, focus on how you can take advantage of the situation to better improve your position. (freshen up the property = higher rent). Some repairs are tax deductible immediately, improvements you can depreciate.

Remember that tenant you want to sting for an extra $100 was in your place for x amount of years putting money in your bank each week, (and probably complaining about the lack of maintenance).

"Stop thinking that everybody else is the problem and realise that you are the problem"

Last time I checked, accidental damage is claimable.

Yes, they smash a hole in the bedroom wall.

Yes, you could say it is "minor" in comparison to horror stories covered in today tonight, and yes, it is an opportunity to renew. However it is still not right in principal to let them get away with it.

Last time I checked, accidental damage is claimable.

Yes, they smash a hole in the bedroom wall.

Yes, you could say it is "minor" in comparison to horror stories covered in today tonight, and yes, it is an opportunity to renew. However it is still not right in principal to let them get away with it.

And no doubt you're getting some of the bond for repairing that?

Have you ever rented? And if so, what wear and tear did you put the property through over 7 years? People are trying to hint that perhaps you need to be a little more reasonable.

And no doubt you're getting some of the bond for repairing that?

Have you ever rented? And if so, what wear and tear did you put the property through over 7 years? People are trying to hint that perhaps you need to be a little more reasonable.

No, but I had another property rented out for similar period and it didn't come back looking like that. Even my own house lived in for more than 7 years don't end up in a condition like that.

I pick up the keys and docs. However, I can't find traders quotes where the bond calculations comes from. Should I be getting that?

If the tenant disputes it and you go to Tribunal, you'll get nothing without them, so yes.

Also on the form, only landlord managing agent is signed, the tenant box is not signed. Should the tenant part be signed?

Last edited:
Back