Help please with joint property

This one might end up where you split the NET profit 50 / 50. I think she’ll up her offer slightly to entice you out of court action.

As BR showed there’s probably nothing really left to split although, depending on the type of person you are, it might bring you intense joy to see her end up with nothing also!

Get over it

Craig,
After talking to you in the chatroom the other night and expressing my views to you clearly and succinctly, it seems to me that your thoughts contradict your words. You have said repeatedly that you don't want to go down the path of courts and legal action but your thoughts seem to me to be in contrast to this, as Jamie stated, she has put offers to you to come to some sort of settlement but you are digging your heels in to get the big piece of the pie. You have received more than enough advice on this subject but you have not liked what you heard so you keep going to see if someone WILL say what you want to hear. What you're probably not aware of is many people on this forum with investment properties know damn well that owning and maintaining a property is bloody hard work at times and a lot more than merely "sitting back and scooping up the buckets of rent money". Do you think your ex had it so easy while you were finding yourself in UK. Like the majority of replies so far have stated, close this chapter, move on before it consumes you and take whatever she's offering you, cause I have to say, I don't think you are entitled to much.
JIM

Craig,

Bite the bullet.

Either get REAL legal advise from someone who is qualified to advise you or take the $15,000 and run.

No-one on this forum can provide you with the legal advice you need - even if qualified to do so, they wouldn't without fully understanding your personal situation & charging you a respectable fee.

Personally I reckon your ex is being generous with $15K considering your entire contribution has been $5K a number of years ago & since then no support whatsoever.

Aceyducey

Get over it

Craig,
After talking to you in the chatroom the other night and expressing my views to you clearly and succinctly, it seems to me that your thoughts contradict your words. You have said repeatedly that you don't want to go down the path of courts and legal action but your thoughts seem to me to be in contrast to this, as Jamie stated, she has put offers to you to come to some sort of settlement but you are digging your heels in to get the big piece of the pie. You have received more than enough advice on this subject but you have not liked what you heard so you keep going to see if someone WILL say what you want to hear. What you're probably not aware of is many people on this forum with investment properties know damn well that owning and maintaining a property is bloody hard work at times and a lot more than merely "sitting back and scooping up the buckets of rent money". Do you think your ex had it so easy while you were finding yourself in UK. Like the majority of replies so far have stated, close this chapter, move on before it consumes you and take whatever she's offering you, cause I have to say, I don't think you are entitled to much.
JIM

Ditto with Jamie, excellent post BR

Dont get over it

You entered into a contract to buy a property
as joint tennants .
You assume legal responsibility for anything which may go wrong ...........which no one has focused on .....................and or for profits that may result from property investment.
Your Ex was foolish to invest so much money as a Joint tennant. No one forced her

You have legal rights so persue them.Your case seems quite valid from a legal standpoint.

Morally I think you have no standing but you didnt post this in the Moral and Ethics forum did you?
You need to spend money on a good lawyer to recoup a reasonable amount of funds from the propertys increased value.
Why did your partner agree to joint Tennants.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but many on this forum seem to think it is by ignoring completly the fact about Joint tennants

well looks like I am the odd one out......come and shoot me down........but I think from a legal viewpoint I am not wrong .
My opinion only, not fact.

gGumpshots,

You are generally right. This is an extract from
AussieLegal.com.au under a search of Joint Tenants or Co-Ownership.

(Generally each joint tenant can only act at the same time as the other one. They must act together. Any independent dealing with the property by one joint tenant is likely to result in the “severing” (or ending) of the joint tenancy, effectively converting the co-ownership relationship to a tenancy in common.)

It looks to me like CraigR might have forfeited the joint tenancy by allowing his wife to make all of the decisions regarding the house.If it comes back to a tenancy in common it could be argued that CraigR has only a minor share in the property. Just a thought. I am not a legal guru.

Househunter

The ex-partner sounds informed, reasonable and commited to defending her rights. She wants to tidy things up and never hear from you again.

She and her lawyer are taking one step at a time to resolve the problem. You're a known quantity and you've got zilch chance of bluffing them.

Sounds like she can pay for any legal action as she goes, which you may not be able to do. Legal bills come thick and fast once you get past that initial interview and no result can be guaranteed. :eek:

I reckon your best outcome has already been offered to you. Take it, invest and climb your own stairway to success.

Saw this interesting thread, and thought I would reply. Then, I thought, no, I will try to think what posters will say.

Now, this is an investment forum, and most (if not all) are experienced real estate investers. I thought that most would be highly critical of the original posting, and his reasons for asking for more cash.

Firstly, being together defacto for 6 years is a long time, this was no one night stand, nor a one year 'honeymoon' period in a relationship.

From my understanding, anything that is acquired within a marriage is joint property, even the hubbies car, the wifes pool, and the hubbies business. They are jointly owned, even if both partners 'accept' that the boat, harley and business are dads, and mum has her horses and stables.

Thus, as far as I am concerned, these two people were (effectively) married, acquired assets, and now one (who has joint ownership) wants to get paid. But at what price?

Well, it seems the lady wants to pay little, or under market value. Could this be because she does not want the court to see how much it is sold for? He, on the other hand, wants more money.

References have been made to the amount of deposit, and that he should accept a percentage increase. But, we all know that real estate has a massive gearing potential, which should also be considered. Also, regardless as to whos name is on the title, it should be considered joint property. Thankfully, (or unthankfully, depending upon your viewpoint), they had joint ownership of an asset, which has significantly increased in value, due mainly in part to our real estate boom.

From my understanding, it does not really matter as 'who pays the bills' , and 'who wastes the money', it is more a matter of an asset is owned, that must be settled and dissolved in some way, shape or form. EIther the property must be sold to an unrelated third party, or one must buy the other out, at a mutually aggreeable amount. If an amount cannot be mutually aggreed, and both partners argue over 'independent valuations', then the best valuation is judged by the real estate buying public by flogging off the house by private treaty, or by auction! Simply saying that 15k has been offered, does not mean that his partner is really serious about a fair share of this asset. It may simply mean that she wants to piss him off, get his name off the title, and keep the lions share for herself and her new beau (and why wouldnt she?)

I have always felt that the easiest way to determine if any comment or situation is racist or sexist is simply to reverse the names. If it still sounds fair, then it is, if it sound wrong, then (my) predjudices have been working again.

Rambling on, there is a story of two sons battling over dads piece of land, both wanting more than the other was prepared to give. They went to court. The judge said to one 'draw a line on the map, dividing the land into two pieces. Your brother will choose first, and you will have the remaining half'. Knowing that he would be choosing last, he was FORCED to draw the line fairly, or it would be HE that was screwed over (by himself). In a similar vein, when my sister and I were dishing out ice cream or chocolate, the same rules applied. ie the server did not physicallly choose the bowl. Both of these situations resulted in a fair, even split.

My point? If his partner was asked, 'what is the value of the house, right this instant', she should have to answer. With this answer, it should be up to the original poster to either buy her out, or be bought out, at the value at which his ex fiancee thought was fair.

Obviously though, our emotions are far too entwined, particularly with regards to what was 'done' by each person.

If your relationship was short term, I too, would agree with the majority of the posters in saying you deserve stuff all, and to take the cash and run, and move on. But 6 years is a long time for a relationship, and I think that you are probably entitled to significantly more than this.

Another 2c worth.

Whose name is the finance in? Was it both persons, being jointly and severally legally liable (I would assume so). If so, the 'nothing' that you say that you have done, is significantly more than you have suggested. You would have been legally bound to pay each and every single last cent of the debt, even if your ex died/couldnt work/wouldnt work- ie you would have taken a massive risk.

My other thought. One must also protect not only the asset, but also the equity of the house. Say the house is worth 300k, with a mortgage of 125. Then, there is equity of 175k. Lets say your ex really wants to screw you. She lets you take her to court, and then refinances the loan, maxing out to 290k. This gets shifted to the (new) hubbies loan, the bank sells, and you will divide up a pittance, while you get shafted on the legal bills pending. I would think that your solicitor could place a caveat on the title, or inform the bank in writing, that there is legal argument over the case, and not allow any refinancing until the ugly mess is sorted out. Ditto with cross collaterasation. Now what do you think has happened here? I will bet my balls that this house, which is jointly owned by our couple, has been used as collateral to buy the new house, in which she is living in, with her new beau. Thus, (assuming I am correct, and I am very sure), this mans home has been used to buy another appreciating asset - ie the new home. I think that when all of this unwinds, you will find that the reason that your ex does not want to sell the home, is that firstly, she will have to pay you, and then may have trouble with the banking system and their system of cross collateralisation.

If you have signed a legal document that says you are jointly and severally legally liable, did you know that some banks will use that again and again, for the other persons future debts, even if they are unknown/authorised by you? There were a few cases wher one person (usually spouse/parent) had gone guarrantour, and then additional loans were taken out by the other person, who was then unable to pay. Guess who the banks went after?

Thus, it may be possible, that you are jointly and severally legally liable for half of the house that you own, AND your ex fiancees new house!

Check out the title of the house, it will list the mortgage, then get your solicitor onto the bank to freeze any further loans/securatisations, etc

One thing that really does disturb me, is the lack of data she has been willing to provide you. I would assume that she has thought something along the lines of **** you, you don't deserve a cent, and then has withheld bills, statements, etc, going through the motions on 'her' property. I do not agree with other forumites that she could give you all the bills after a number of years (in which you have been specifically asking for) and expect that you pay them. I think that she has specifically and repeatedly paid them herself, in order to deliberately bolster her claim that it is solely her house, and that you do not deserve anything.

Just my thoughts, and I just have a sneaking suspicion too, that I will too, be shot down in flames.

PS- do keep us informed of how things are going- I get the feeling that this will drag out longer than my postings!

ggumpshots said:
You need to spend money on a good lawyer to recoup a reasonable amount of funds from the propertys increased value.

So once you've spend money getting a "good" lawyer, what makes you think there's going to be a "REASONABLE" amount of funds left ?

JIM

Wrappack, Great post and I understood it all. Tend to agree with you too. Disturbing though about the equity perhaps being used to fund a new home. I would be getting a lawyer into it all quick smart.

Any further news on your situation? Did you find out about what legal documents you have signed regarding joint and several legal liability? And what of the devil of x collateralisation that I presumed? Have you informed the lender, or done any caveats?

My understanding (and i am not a lawyer) is that any property (re/shares/companies/trusts) that is acquired during a defacto/ marriage is considered jointly owned, until the property settlement is done (which can be done at a different time than the actual seperation/divorce). Who paid for what and who did what during the relationship is of no consequence whatsoever.

Craig may have been a deadshit junkie inbread hick cheating loser whose only contribution to the marriage was to increase the ownership of playstation 2 and xbox games, while his long suffering spouse slogged her guts out eight and a half days a week to pay for him. Doesn't matter one iota in divviing up the spoils.

The property settlement takes no account of the reason behind the split, does not attempt to blame, or to ascribe thriftyness as a virtue, and consumerism as a vice. It simply looks at assets, and the increase in value of these assets, and divides them appropriately (differing % based on kiddies, ages, spousal jobs, etc).

When one does not resolve a financial situation in their lives (I am referring to his ex), by not doing a proper property settlement, and assumes that she is more deserving (which, btw, I agree with, despite my musings), and then keeps the house, and refuses to finalise a settlement, then I can only assume that the mess she is in will only get worse.

Btw, a lady at work was in a similar situation to craig, who was paying off the mortgage after her split, and the hubby continually dragged out the settlement over a couple of years. She (had little legal advice), and assumed that her bigger financial commitment AFTER the seperation would be taken into account, but it was not, and he got a much larger slice of the pie than had a settlement was done earlier.

Hi Wrappack,

Sat down with my solicitor 2 weeks ago to find out what my defacto partner would get in the event of a split. Well not much it would seem. Defacto law is very different to being married. Defacto law looks more at who has contributed what to the assets. In my case I have multiple properties in my name only, that I pay for the finances personally. My solicitor tells me I have nothing to worry about in the event of a split. In my case the only way my ex has a claim on me is through non-financial contributions which she has made none.

If my partner and I were married it would be totally different. Personal assets go through a blending process of ownership. For example if I own a house outright, get married and divorce 1 year later I would more than likely get my house back. If, on the other hand, I was married for 10 years my house would be split 50/50 (This split can be changed depending on children, ability of partner to return to the workforce, health of partner etc, etc).

Back