Help Selling - Townsville

I've never sold a property or been through the process before so need some help in selling...

My partner is selling a 6brm home in townsville.

I need to find a real estate agent to sell through, otherwise try and do it privately.

Q1. Any recommendations for Townsville?

Q2. When trying to find a real estate agent, what questions do i need to ask and need to find out?

Q3. commission... which none of them seem to be negotiable on.. $900 for first 18K then 2.5% commission after 18K is the state standard and the max agents can charge in qld. Do real estate agents negiotate on their commission?

Q3. How much does advertising normally cost?

Q4. Should real estates charge for taking photos of the property? - which seems to be common up here.

Thanks

Rowena

Ouch.
Recommend a real estate agent would require having sold through one I guess.

As to what questions to ask a real estate agent, that is a bit easier. Try this thread on this forum: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64349

or Google ...

Actual costs for transactions comes via a quote.

I would think a good agent would allow you to talk to their existing sellers.

so far one agent wanted $95 just to list with the agency then another $395 to put the listing online $400 to photograph the house, and then i think it was another $1200-1400 to list in the local news paper... ontop of this is their commison so at 450K sale price its a commison of $11700, it seems a lot of cash for very little work on their part.

thanks for the link... will check it out...
along with other agents... did a bid for the property as sorts on www.sellmycastle.com.au so i have a couple of leads from there, but the agent that is coming around tomorrow i have seen her in the field and her rates sounded a lot more reasonable then the above ones.

i've never sold either, but have identified plenty of agents i wouldn't sell with through the buying process. perhaps test out some agents by going to opens and pretending to be a buyer.

i also think print advertising is a waste of money. people all search online these days.

A bit off topic, but has anyone ever sold a property themselves. ie, had the photos taken professionally and put it online?

I'm guessing 95% of buyers use online websites these days.

I've never sold a property or been through the process before so need some help in selling...

My partner is selling a 6brm home in townsville. I need to find a real estate agent to sell through, otherwise try and do it privately.

Q1. Any recommendations for Townsville?
Q2. When trying to find a real estate agent, what questions do i need to ask and need to find out?
Q3. commission... which none of them seem to be negotiable on.. $900 for first 18K then 2.5% commission after 18K is the state standard and the max agents can charge in qld. Do real estate agents negiotate on their commission?
Q3. How much does advertising normally cost?
Q4. Should real estates charge for taking photos of the property? - which seems to be common up here.
Thanks
Rowena

if you have no experience in selling a house, I would not sell privately. Find a good agent, and learn from them...

I dont know any agents in Townsville, but I think its a good idea to go to open homes and find out which agents you think do the best job of following up. Alot of the choice is also gut feel.. which agent do you feel most comfortable with. Take a look at re.com and see which agent is listing and selling the most houses in your price range. You can ask them what their average selling days are. Ask them for specific advice on what you can do to sell more quickly - ie how to present the house.

Not sure about the commissions in QLD. I sold several houses in Sydney in the past 6 months, and all commissions have been between 2 and 2.5% plus GST.
Why would you expect a discount? In my case, I was selling 3 houses, so was offered a discount on commission, but i cant imagine an agent giving a discount for no reason. There are people who will give lower commissions, but its worth paying a bit more if a RE agent can sell your house faster!

Advertising costs varied widely between agents... from nothing up to $15000!! This is an area where you can negotiate, and pick and choose what you want. Online advertising is the most useful, plus photograpy and floorplans. See what other houses which sell quickly have, and try to match that. Photography is usually part of the advertising package. If the RE agent is taking the photos themselves, I wouldnt pay for it. But if they are paying someone else to take photos, then it will usually be part of the advertising package. I would rather pay someone to take good photos!

Good luck. I would strongly recommend you go to some open homes, so that you gather some experience of what works and what doesnt. Otherwise you are going into the process blind.

I have been to open homeslooking at agents some i have let know at the end im looking to sell. Problem being there are no 6 bedroom homes all on the one floor up here! So trying to price it is difficult. There are plenty of 4 bed upstairs and 1/2 bed down stairs but nothing on the same level. A couple of 5 bedrooms on same level, but they dont all have built ins either. So comparing is difficult!.

I do some amatuer photography on the side, so i can take the pics.. which im sure will be a heck of a lot better then some of the agents i have seen online!. so no issues in regards to the photo's.

I did find a agent, who does all their advertising online, and are not upfront fees, only pay the advertising fee if the property sells. so more motivation for them to sell it, then get their money out of you upfront and not care.

I do have a friend who only sells his properties through private sales, but he is a ex-lawyer(retired) as well, so he knows the ins and outs of contracts very well!

The other good thing with a agent is that the one i have found does have some 5 bedroom and one 6 bedroom on the market too, so if people looking through those dont like them, at least she can then say hey i have this one aswell, so already has a potential client list.

Selling in Townsville

Rowena, it seems you want to sell at the highest possible price, at least cost in advertising and as quickly as possible.

I know agents in Townsville and one has sold a school for Queensland Education recently in 8 weeks and achieved the asking price set by the government. It was unique as it was the only property like it, perhaps like a unique 6 bedroom home on one level like yours.

It was a controversal sale as it got media coverage on Channel 7 and in the Townsville Bulletin and the agent handled the communications with everyone very well, even the protestors on the day were treated with respect and patience. Go to this link to find out more http://townsvillerealestate.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

All the best with your sale.:)

got an app from appstore for ozzie property- had this as part of it, thought it was useful:

7 Questions to ask your agent
* How long have you worked full-time in real estate & how long in this area?
* What properties have you recently sold in the area?
* Do you have other properties for sale in this price range?
* What can I do to ensure the highest sales price?
* How long is the average time on the market in this price range?
* Are you fully licenced agent? (or equivalent in your state)
* Can you provide references?

When you pick an agent who has similar properties for sale in a specific price
range, chances are they may have already met your buyer. They have probably shown
that buyer through one of these properties that didn’t quite suit them- your
property might have what was missing!

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/real-estate-black-book/id460917650?ls=1&mt=8

Back