HELP..Tickets to Malasia bought, now having 2nd thoughts travelling with Baby

Hi Team,

We recently bought air tickets on the cheap (Big Air) to KL Malaysia for myself the wife and our baby (currently almost 9 months old) for June / July this year. We only paid $600 return for us all.

We are planning to stay at resorts and such for 10 Days, but I know we will get bored and end up doing extra travelling over there.

But when I told my parents about it they freaked and don't want us to go as it may be risky for the baby - not being able to find a hospital or having dramas with her.

We are now paranoid and having 2nd thoughts about going.

What do you think? Too risky or would you go?

Has anyone travelled with a baby in south east asia. We are experienced travellers but really only in Europe, but my wife has been to India and we did a trip together to Thiland.

Obviously, the tickets are non refundable.

Surely there are lots of Malaysian babies that get by without too much trouble? I live across the border in Singpore and have a 5 month old and haven't had any problems. IMO, it's fine as long as the baby has had their immunisations.

maaaaate - we took our first to patong when she was 18m old, we took all the kids to bali when the youngest was 18m too. no planning, just co-incidence.

kids will be just fine. malaysia isn't some backwater hole - it's a beautiful place.

i would pack some rasberry cordial to avoid tummy bugs - a good dose in the morning and at night.

i would concentrate on yours and the baby's needs when out and about - especially on the plane. to make the journey stress free, you have to tell yourself to ignore what everyone else MAY think and just concentrate on making sure bub's fine. if she's crying, deal with it - not the plane. that way, you'll settle bub quicker AND be less stressed.

grandparents - cant live with 'em so that's why we shoot 'em.

Malaysia (other than Singapore) is probably the safest country in Asia to travel!

We went to Italy when my wife was 20 weeks pragnant and our 15 months old child. They both got really sickand everything was closed during the Easter break in Rome. We struggled to buy even a bottle water or any food without cheese in it. We had to go to a medical centre where the doctor spoke very little English! Compared to that Malaysia would be a breeze.

I think nine months is a good time to travel. Because
- baby can sleep in the basinet
- fare for the baby is 10% only unti 2 years old
- baby can't wonder around on their own

I would get the insurance, plenty of nappies, wipes and baby food .

We took our 'baby bjorn' (or similar) . Baby bjorn could be handy because you may need a hand to carry a bag and the other hand to hold on to something. It can be useful in the flight if the baby doesn't want to sleep in their basinet. It is not easy to sleep in the flight while you are holding a baby :)

We also bought a cheapo pram (I think it was about $99). Even if the baby doesn't sleep you can still use this to carry all other stuff.

Last edited:
There is definately no issues...go and enjoy your holidays with the kids.

The only thing though is that make sure you buy travel insurance, so incase if anything does come up, you won't be worried about the $$.

Malaysia is place I've been many times. Although not world first class facility, but definately not a backward country...in some areas they are more advance than Australia!!

It's Malaysia. Not Laos.

Is ya kid basically healthy?

If so, get travel insurance. Go. Relax.

Yes she is healthy

Grandparents babysit, and you and the wife go?

We would like her to come and she would be a handful for the grandparents and we couldn't go without her for 10 days.

Surely there are lots of Malaysian babies that get by without too much trouble? I live across the border in Singpore and have a 5 month old and haven't had any problems. IMO, it's fine as long as the baby has had their immunisations.

Yes that's what I thought. And we will get immunisations.

maaaaate - we took our first to patong when she was 18m old, we took all the kids to bali when the youngest was 18m too. no planning, just co-incidence.

kids will be just fine. malaysia isn't some backwater hole - it's a beautiful place.

i would pack some rasberry cordial to avoid tummy bugs - a good dose in the morning and at night.

i would concentrate on yours and the baby's needs when out and about - especially on the plane. to make the journey stress free, you have to tell yourself to ignore what everyone else MAY think and just concentrate on making sure bub's fine. if she's crying, deal with it - not the plane. that way, you'll settle bub quicker AND be less stressed.

grandparents - cant live with 'em so that's why we shoot 'em.

Great advice, I suppose we just panicked a bit but we are switched on peeps so It can't be that risky.

Malaysia (other than Singapore) is probably the safest country in Asia to travel!

We went to Italy when my wife was 20 weeks or so with our 15 months old child. They both got really sick! Everything was closed during the Easter break in Rome. We struggled to buy bottle water or any food without any cheese in it... even then they were carbonated! We had to go to a medical centre where the doctor spoke very little English!
Compared to that Malaysia would be a breeze.

I think nine months is a good time to travel. Because
- baby can sleep in the basinet
- fare for the baby is 10% charge
- child can't wonder on their own

I would get the insurance, pleanty of nappies and wipes (until you know where the shops are).
We took our 'baby bjorn' (or similar) . Baby bjorn could be handy because you may a hand to carry a bag and then the other to hold on to something. Even it can be useful in the flight if the baby doesn't want to in their basinet. It is really hard to go to sleep in the flight while you are holding a baby :)

We also bought a cheapo pram (under $100). Even if the baby doesn't sleep you can still use this to carry all other stuff. You can put the baby to sleep in the pram while you are sight seeing.

Thanks for the tips, yes we have a bay bjorn and it's great

There is definately no issues...go and enjoy your holidays with the kids.

The only thing though is that make sure you buy travel insurance, so incase if anything does come up, you won't be worried about the $$.

Malaysia is place I've been many times. Although not world first class facility, but definately not a backward country...in some areas they are more advance than Australia!!

Yes, we have made the decision to still go, even without the parents blessing.
We were worried as if something bad happened we would never forgive ourselves.

Thanks for all the input team!

I'm more interested in how you got those cheap tickets. Who's Big Air? I normally get my Malaysia flights with Air Asia...

Nice price. Wish I'd spotted that deal.

PS The kid will be fine. We travel through Malaysia and Thailand with our 6YO all the time. Just got back from three weeks in Malaysia (Borneo) and Phuket in July last year. No problems, no issues, just awesome photos!

Cheers,
Michael

It's Malaysia. Not Laos.

Is ya kid basically healthy?

If so, get travel insurance. Go. Relax.

What this dude said. You'll have a blast. I have many happy memories of my boy as a little fella, including him holding on for dear life (and me holding him too) at age four laughing in delight in the back of a tuk-tuk in Bangkok rush hour.

I think it was the best time to travel in asia was when the kids were babies, after they got 10 yrs old they whinged and moaned too much . Before that thet were easily entertained. Asians love kids and are very considerate and helpful if you have young kids and will want to play with and hold your kids, especially if you need to do something, or buying something. The airlines usually put as in a front row were there was room on the floor to put a baby or they had a fold down bench you could strap the baby in. Often they would put us where there were some spare seats and have a whole middle row to ourselves, but I guess that is only likley if you are flying off peak. Even some of the hotels there on the beaches were kid friendly , very secure with fences even on part of the beach and guards and staff to help keep an eye on the kids

I'm more interested in how you got those cheap tickets. Who's Big Air? I normally get my Malaysia flights with Air Asia...

Nice price. Wish I'd spotted that deal.

PS The kid will be fine. We travel through Malaysia and Thailand with our 6YO all the time. Just got back from three weeks in Malaysia (Borneo) and Phuket in July last year. No problems, no issues, just awesome photos!

Cheers,
Michael

Hi michael,

Our super sluth sister in law spotted some really good deals through big air. I understand they are running a new route to Malaysia and drumming up some interest with cheap flights.

There is only one downside and that is you have to pedal to wind up the rubber band to power the plane;)

What this dude said. You'll have a blast. I have many happy memories of my boy as a little fella, including him holding on for dear life (and me holding him too) at age four laughing in delight in the back of a tuk-tuk in Bangkok rush hour.

Thanks VYV8, yes we are just going to give it a go. What can possibly go wrong?....

I think it was the best time to travel in asia was when the kids were babies, after they got 10 yrs old they whinged and moaned too much . Before that thet were easily entertained. Asians love kids and are very considerate and helpful if you have young kids and will want to play with and hold your kids, especially if you need to do something, or buying something. The airlines usually put as in a front row were there was room on the floor to put a baby or they had a fold down bench you could strap the baby in. Often they would put us where there were some spare seats and have a whole middle row to ourselves, but I guess that is only likley if you are flying off peak. Even some of the hotels there on the beaches were kid friendly , very secure with fences even on part of the beach and guards and staff to help keep an eye on the kids

Yes when we have visited asia before peeps over there seem to be very accomodating. Hope it is the same in Malaysia.

Just took my little fishing buddy to Japan and back . He was 9 months old when we gave it a go. The biggest issue was finding food for him. He ate alot of weetbix, rice and noodles.

I think Nike might have said it before me but Just do it. Who cares what the people in the plane seats next to you think.

Is there a link to this 'big air'?
Air Asia
New route Syd - KL was for $99 inc taxes
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ights-from-april/story-e6frg95x-1226246435547
now they're
sydney2_auen.gif

Its Malaysia. Its perfectly safe.

I was born there almost 40 years ago and there is nothing wrong with me :p

I have travelled back there a couple of times too. It is fine. Its not like its third world or anything.

My mother once told me, when we were planning on travelling for 12 months and I was having "issues" with the IL's as they thought it was all too scary and blah blah blah, not to take travel advice from family members and well meaning friends who a) have never really travelled and b) who dont want you to go in the first place.

Obviously my mother wasnt one of those. But seriously, just do it!

Back