HELP..Tickets to Malasia bought, now having 2nd thoughts travelling with Baby

I've been to many areas of Malaysia. From the middle of Bukit Bintang to the outback areas of Kedah. Don't try to lecture me on what I do and don't know about the country. There is a reason why the locals stay away from particular areas and behave the way they do. What makes you think you know more than a local? Because you have seen the 'culture' of the area? How pretentious.

And your pretence that you somehow know more than the people who live there everyday is not prejudicial? You most likely won't be robbed or killed in Malaysia. But it pays to be wary and to avoid the wrong areas - which are, incidentally enough, the poor areas. No different from any country.

So there's really nothign to point out then ?

it is seriously not scary, not even a little bit. just be aware of your surroundings, dont be a disrespectful and loud foreigner and you will be fine.

common sense+street smarts+ respect+ a smile go a long way in your travels

Here you go contradicting Aaron !!!

Again !!!!

Kl

Aiyah (as they say in the local lingo)

Why stay in Kuala Lumpur?? 2 and a half hours by car, and you are in Malacca (one of my favourite spots in Malaysia)...

from there, another 3 hours, you are in safe (for babies ha!) Singapore as it sounds like what you are worried about!

Transport is so easy and cheap in Malaysia...

Went to Kota Kinabalu and Tambunan along with surrounding areas last year. We were racing (foot and mountain bike) through areas that were fairly remote and rural up in the mountains there. Not a problem with anyone (and this despite the fact that we only speak English etc). Absolutely loved it and would love to go again. Have felt far more unsafe in HK when I've been there.
Also the Malaysian's we met loved kids (don't have any ourselves but others did).

from there, another 3 hours, you are in safe (for babies ha!) Singapore as it sounds like what you are worried about!

Transport is so easy and cheap in Malaysia...
Everything is cheap in Malaysia compared to Singapore.

A 5* hotel in Johor, with a great view across the straights to Singapore costs $60 a night (Thistle ex Hyatt)
$60 in Singapore, a few short klm's away gets a hotel in a back alley with a plastic undersheet, rented by the hour :eek:
5* equivalent is $300/night

Cheap Lah

Hiya

And that is why i am going to retire and spend half a year in Malaysia in future (on the Golden Passport thingy!)

I know someone on this forum is already doing that and based in KL and Penang:p

Hi Team,

We recently bought air tickets on the cheap (Big Air) to KL Malaysia for myself the wife and our baby (currently almost 9 months old) for June / July this year. We only paid $600 return for us all.
Nice! I picked up a couple of return tickets in April for $600 to KL with them as well.

I'm in Phuket right now and there's couples with babies everywhere.

Cheers

Jamie

You'll be fine!
We went when our youngest was 6mths (with a 2yr old as well) and apart from the humidity, they were absolutely fine providing you do take some precautions:

-appropriate vaccinations (if you choose to of course)
-only drink bottled water

They have baby food, formula, baby strollers, prams, sterlisers etc all in the large supermarkets (cheap too) so if you didn't want to bring much or forgot something back home, you don't need to stress.

I was the more paranoid one so i bought some 'Travel Bug' capsules from the Chemist which is designed to help prevent gastro in kids/babies (suitable for babies). Not sure if it was this or not but we were there for 2 weeks - ate street food and all and none of us got sick! Mind you, my Hubby and I took Travelan (adult version of Travel Bug) so if you're super worried take that as extra precaution.

You'll be fine! Enjoy! :D

Malaysia like most South East Asian countries are mostly "safe". Like Aaron said - some common sense will go a long way. Don't be over trustworthy of locals - there's been more swindling of late.

Some things we take for granted here in Australia but don't over there
- bottled water - avoid ice when eating out - water used for the ice there are not boiled and will result in a tummy ache (take it from me "a used to be local" who now gets a tummy ache and the runs everytime I go back)
- GPs there are mostly private clinics - there are private hospitals as well - try to head there if your little one becomes unwell
- always have your slingbag/camera bags on the side away from facing the road/street at all times - Aaron wasnt kidding about opportunistic snatch thieves - best to avoid giving them the opportunity
- Criminals in KL usually avoid targetting foreigners cuz the police tend to "punish" them harshly compared if they were to target locals - weird I know but still pays to be cautious
- Travel mostly during the day unless you have local knowledge or if you know friends who live there. Most places are safe during the day till evening.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions

Best of all Enjoy your time there - i so miss the food back home!!! ah KL and Penang

i must say as someone who travels there regularly and who has also travelled there with australians who have never been there before, we have never avoided ice. in a place like india certainly but i have never avoided ice there and every single day would have a kopi, apple juice, teh etc, sour plum etc, all with ice

none of my mates had any issues either

on the whole though mech81s advice is good

Got to say, much queiter in places like Miri, but even there at the market, I took this photo because I can't say I have ever seen one in Australia!

The Y-man

Attachments

• BG.jpg
    BG.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 77
Got to say, much queiter in places like Miri, but even there at the market, I took this photo because I can't say I have ever seen one in Australia!

The Y-man

Australia as it is today has no excuse for any such problems existing, it would show us to be even more pathetic than some of us are today with soime of the mindless crime that goes on here - how long ago since you last heard about another old aged pensioner bashing ?? I think it mihgt have been yesterday for me.....

We made it!

Thanks team for the input!

I thought I should put up a follow up to the question about an overseas jaunt with a baby.

We borrowed a Macpac baby carrier, went to Malaysia and Thailand and had an awesome time.

I would recommend a Macpac carrier to anyone. So much so we bought one when we got back.

Koh Samui is fantastic and being in winter (still 30+ everyday) it was pretty quiet.

There eneded up being 3 groups of us. Brother and sister in law with their 1.9 yr old and some friends for part of the trip with their 2 yr old.

We only came apart and lost it once on the flight home, when the baby was tired and so were we.

Anyway, thanks again and here are a few pics of me with the baby Beatrix!

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

My only advice would be to sell the bjorn and buy a better baby carrier. The bjorn will become uncomfortable for both you and bubs by 9mths old, and there are so many better ones on the market that allow for better posture, positioning and weight diistribution. Ergo is one of the more commonly found ones that are good (just don't buy off ebay - they are all mostly fakes without the proper quality control checks. babesinarms.com.au have a list of approved authentic stockists in australia; or check out Toys'r'us). Or check our some of the other babycarriers around (you can buy most online: Boba, Manducca, Ellaroo, Babyhawk, Wearababy - Wallabi or Wombat, etc). Your back and baby's crotch will thank you for making the change. ;)

Edited to add: LOL, I should read the whole thread! Glad you had a great time and found yourself a better carrier.

DJBarnstar, great pics mate. I'm sure your baby will treasure the travel moments, especially as they grow older.

I've been to Malaysia too, to KL and Penang. Personally, I prefer Thailand though especially in the smaller towns where the lifestyle was more relaxed. KL and Penang were a bit too busy, in my opinion, in terms of the traffic and lifestyle.

Your pics though looked like you went to the nicer relaxed parts of Malaysia.. relaxing!

Back