Help with building inspection.

Recommendations by pest inspector:

Allow access for inspection inside garage. Remove loose timbers on
ground in subfloor and formwork timbers. Install adequate vents in
exterior walls. Expose the edge of the concrete slab. Remove dense
vegetation abutting exterior walls of house. Reinspect in six months. This
premises has conditions highly conducive to Termite attack. We
recommend preventative treatment to subfloor and foundation perimeter.
Risk of concealed activity/damage is high due to the many inaccessible
areas in this building. Risk of imminent attack is high.

Should i be worried?

Damp penetration into this property may occur at the following locations:
i. Damp meter readings taken about the surfaces of the internal wall linings in this
property revealed a high level of moisture in the walls consistent with the presence
of damp or termite infestation or damage and further investigation should be
undertaken to determine whether termite infestation or damage is present in the
concealed timber framework by way of a boroscope test* or thermal imaging.**

The building inspector has worked in your favor, he has not stated that thare are not any termites in the property, or that their are any termites, he in simple terms says the place is a bit damp, weep holes are those 10mm by 63mm gaps around the bottom of windows, they are there just to increase a little bit of air flow they dont do areal lot, and if the home is rendered and painted they are not a requirement any more, as you guy/gals have had a bit of rain of late it would be expected that a whole lot of sydney is a bit wet, but in saying this he recomends termite treatment, the cost? but it gives you real negotiating power to bring the price right down,

what contract did you sighn, others may have to jump in here! in the act all properties on the market must have a current pest and building report the cost is passed onto the buyers, then we exchange their is a cooling off period then it is settled, and your in your new home.
So in my world terms have you exchanged.please say no!

If the contract is subject to the building inspection. You could suggest that you are considering to terminate due the the building and pest, but you would resign @ $xxxx that might work, but only if the contract is subject to the inspection.

Recommendations by pest inspector:

Allow access for inspection inside garage. Remove loose timbers on
ground in subfloor and formwork timbers. Install adequate vents in
exterior walls. Expose the edge of the concrete slab. Remove dense
vegetation abutting exterior walls of house. Reinspect in six months. This
premises has conditions highly conducive to Termite attack. We
recommend preventative treatment to subfloor and foundation perimeter.
Risk of concealed activity/damage is high due to the many inaccessible
areas in this building. Risk of imminent attack is high.

Should i be worried?

This is a really common clause put into building inspections in areas where there are lots of trees and vegetation... I think I've had this in nearly every pest inspection we've ever had. I wouldn't be that worried...... but clearly you need to do regular termite inspections, and clear away some of the plants around the house and take other preventative actions.
To me, it sounds like the building inspector is looking for more work. Was he a combined pest/bldg inspector. If not, I would get an actual pest inspection as well.
Pen

Allow access for inspection inside garage.
Translations are as follows: I could not access the garage to tell if there were termites in there or not.

Remove loose timbers on ground in subfloor and formwork timbers.
Don't leave termite food around.

Install adequate vents in
exterior walls.
Don't leave damp enclosed spaces around that are conducive to breeding termites

Expose the edge of the concrete slab.
That way you can see the little buggers as they are entering your slab.

Remove dense vegetation abutting exterior walls of house.
Don't put ladders up for termites to climb into your house.

Reinspect in six months.
Pay me more money in 6 months.....this house is gonna be great for my business's cash flow.

This premises has conditions highly conducive to Termite attack.
This house is gonna be great for my business's cash flow. AND this house has conditions highly conducive to Termite attack and if that continues to be the case it should be regularly inspected.

We recommend preventative treatment to subfloor and foundation perimeter. Risk of concealed activity/damage is high due to the many inaccessible areas in this building. Risk of imminent attack is high.
this house is gonna be great for my business's cash flow AND if I spray highly toxic chemicals everywhere, then it gives me an out IF there is any termites around. My PI policy is safe from a claim too ;)

Should i be worried?
Be alert but not alarmed. He couldn't find anything BUT conditions are good for an attack. Fix these conditions and you should be OK - but be vigilant. This applies to all of us IP ppl anyway.

Last edited:
Back