Help with finding rental in Sydney

Hi everyone,

I've worked for Dave Hooper - a user on these forums - for a couple of years and he suggested I post here to get some advice on my situation.

I'm living in Melbourne at the moment but will be moving to Sydney soon (our lease runs out at the beginning of June) with my partner, our almost 1 year old son and our cat.
I've just landed a well-paying new job in Sydney with an indefinite starting date, depending on when we move.

We've just come back from a couple of weeks in Sydney where we looked for a rental place with no luck.
All but one of the places we inspected were either too small for our needs, in a terrible state (large cracks in the wall and mould) or units/apartments that can't accept pets.
We had no luck with the one place we did apply for.

Now that we're back in Melbourne we decided to widen our search, both in terms of areas to live in and weekly rent price, now that I know what salary I will be on when we move.
We've found a couple of places we want to apply for, but the problem we have is that it's illegal to put in an application for a property without inspecting it.
This leaves us in a tricky situation, because we can't afford to keep flying up each weekend for property inspections.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what approach we should take, or better yet know of a rental that's available?

We're a very quiet and responsible family (definitely no wild parties or trashing the place) and our cat is a quiet, indoor pet.
We've been looking in the Parramatta to Epping area, but at the moment we're willing to live anywhere if it gives us a place to move to.
Looking for 2-3 bedrooms, price range around $300-$400 pw (but willing to go slightly outside that).

We're a bit stuck at the moment about what to try next, and would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Cheers,

Gil

Hmmm... it's not the best time to try renting.

Ever considered buying a place? You might not be living in Sydney forever however you could hang onto it as an investment (and get the PPOR CGT exemption for 6 years).

Otherwise, I think you may find less competition and better value if you increase your price range.

We've thought about buying, but at the moment that gives us even less time to find a place and we still have the problem of inspecting the places - even more so given the larger investment involved.

We'd still have to look for a rental in Melbourne if we didn't move to Sydney, as we can't extend the lease on our current place.

Its not the best time to rent in sydney. We were looking something similar to rent just a month ago. We had a little dog and it was very difficult to find a decent place that can accept pets. Even pushing the rent to $500 and looking for properties in the middle outer ring (parramatta, hurstville, hornsby, sutherland) there are only a handful choices. At the end we give up

Would you be able to up the rent budget a bit? or do you mind living a bit further out in places like quakers hill, penrith, campbletown etc?

$450 is the absolute maximum we could go.

After chatting with a few people we're going to start thinking seriously about buying and work out temporary solutions in the meantime.

So now we're also after some advice about buying in Sydney from interstate.

Maybe your wife and kid (and cat) can live with your parents/in-laws for a few weeks while you live in a cheap motel near your new workplace until you find a suitable place?

Where is your work? How much is your tolerance on daily commute time? do you mind living in apartments? Any preference on close to beach/shops/schools? Which transport mode you prefer, car/bus/train/cycle?

I understand the trouble you are having, I'm in the same boat moving from Queensland with a young family. I have been looking around the Kellyville, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook area for a 4 bed house with no luck to date. Having a golden retriever doesn't help.

Can any Sydney locals tell me what the commute would be like from Castlehill to the CBD by car or train compared to travelling from Gosford by train. Is one any easier than the other? Going from a 5 min commute to a 1-2 hour commute will be a killer.

Where is your work? How much is your tolerance on daily commute time? do you mind living in apartments? Any preference on close to beach/shops/schools? Which transport mode you prefer, car/bus/train/cycle?
Work is in the CBD. I have a 1 - 1.5 hour commute with my current job, so I'm used to the travel.
We don't mind apartments, but very few allow pets.
Reasonably close to shops would be nice but not essential.
I'd prefer public transport since it would be cheaper.

Can any Sydney locals tell me what the commute would be like from Castlehill to the CBD by car or train compared to travelling from Gosford by train. Is one any easier than the other? Going from a 5 min commute to a 1-2 hour commute will be a killer.

The last few days I've been going from work in the city to Castle Hill many times doing the final inspection, settlement, arranging property management, sometimes even multiple round trips in a day. And as someone who never lived in castle hill before and used to 20min train ride to work, I think I qualify to answer your question :cool:

You can forget driving to work, the road traffic is a shocker. Bus is surprisingly pleasant, its air conditioned, M2 and lane cove tunnel with dedicated bus lane means its actually pretty fast getting to and from the city (the pleasure of seeing all other cars crawl to a halt while the bus whiz by is kinda nice). However, the bus seats are so squeezed that I vow not to ever complain about how crap the cityrail train seats are! Overall the trip from castle towers to wynyard usually is around 50mins on okay traffic, still within acceptable range. In addition, the govt plans to built a metro subway linking to the city, which would reduce the travel time to 30mins, but don't hold your breath on it being completed any time soon.

I've worked for Dave Hooper for a couple of years and he suggested I post here to get some advice on my situation.
Hi there Gilmore.
...after some advice about buying in Sydney from interstate.
I have spoken to Gil, who tells me that his current situation looks like this;

60k deposit - currently locked into a long term fund but can access with fees

$60k salary at new job. Previous job (with me) salary is $40k (I wonder why he's leaving :))

Looking for at least a 2 bed property to purchase in or around Parramatta to Epping area. Must be cat friendly.

So, several questions to you all;

1. How much do you think he can borrow?
  2. What (roughly) will this cost him per week?
  3. Given that he's sort of stuck in Melbourne for now, what's the best way for him to review and shortlist properties?
  4. Once he has a shortlist, is it likely the property will be gone before he makes a trip up to Sydney to inspect - say 1, 2 or 3 weeks from now?
  5. Are there 'bargains' around? ie should he be making low offers and trying his luck?
Sorry for all the questions, but Gilmore is a great guy, with a lovely young family, and I'm trying to give him as much help as I can to make all this work out as well as possible for him. Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi there Gilmore.I have spoken to Gil, who tells me that his current situation looks like this;

60k deposit - currently locked into a long term fund but can access with fees

$60k salary at new job. Previous job (with me) salary is $40k (I wonder why he's leaving :))

Looking for at least a 2 bed property to purchase in or around Parramatta to Epping area. Must be cat friendly.

So, several questions to you all;

1. How much do you think he can borrow?
  2. What (roughly) will this cost him per week?
  3. Given that he's sort of stuck in Melbourne for now, what's the best way for him to review and shortlist properties?
  4. Once he has a shortlist, is it likely the property will be gone before he makes a trip up to Sydney to inspect - say 1, 2 or 3 weeks from now?
  5. Are there 'bargains' around? ie should he be making low offers and trying his luck?
Sorry for all the questions, but Gilmore is a great guy, with a lovely young family, and I'm trying to give him as much help as I can to make all this work out as well as possible for him. Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

1 & 2. If $60K is it in total, then work on borrowings of around 1/3 of gross wages ie: $20K. This equates to roughly $385 a week or, as Gilmore has already calculated, his cutoff point is maximum $450 p/wk. This is probably a little out of his comfort level as it is.
Calculating affordable payments into the equation, maximum borrowings would probably be around the $250-280K figure from a lender. The $60K deposit on top of this would allow Gil to purchase in the $310-340K price bracket- this is also based on the assumption that he qualifies for both the FHOG and the Home Plus Scheme (Stamp Duty exemption) here in NSW. If not, then he needs to allow extra costs for these, naturally.

3. Trusted friend (such as yourself, Dave :)) or a buyers agent.
It can be often false economy to make several interstate trips when a BA familiar with the areas can find you something probably superior than you would yourself, and quite often for a better price.

4. Depending on location, condition, position, price bracket, demand for particular property etc etc (too many variables to list) this is obviously too difficult to answer. If he's going to do it himself, then I would suggest calling agents early in the week (Mon) to arrange viewings on a Friday/Sat if possible. Most buyers only come out on weekends and so the aim is to beat them by being prepared during the week and taking the time to diligently appraise the available listings and talk to agents.

5. Of course there's bargains around :) and if you look hard enough and know your market well you'll be sure to locate them. A word, however, about submitting numerous lowball offers. It may backfire, with agents not taking you seriously if you continuously offer well under market.
You need to know your market, what your money can realistically buy, and be prepared to inspect several properties over a period of time if you're to do it properly. Build up relationships with agents and be first on the list when it comes to being contacted. This takes time and patience :D

I know both Epping and Parra areas very well, and I can tell you now that you may as well forget about anything in Epping for the $310-340K price range unless you're willing to buy apartments- even then you're going to only get 2beds, likely to be unrenovated or needing TLC and, as you've already expressed, strata issues with keeping cats will be a concern.

Re: Parra and surrounds. This money will easily buy you an apartment (and better quality than Epping) and possibly a 2bd townhouse/villa in the surrounding area (check out Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead, Westmead for eg) and, moving further afield, into Seven Hills/Toongabbie, a little more for your money (newer builds)

Freestanding housing in this price bracket, however, is rare and you really need to start moving further west to locate these. I'd suggest looking at duplexes in Quakers Hill area as a real alternative (try to stay northside of rail, ideally above Quakers Hill Parkway) as QH also has the large benefit (as does Seven Hills and Toongabbie) of a railway line.

For now, it may be preferable to rent when you first arrive (if you've got $450to spend, you'll be fine- there's enough stock under this bracket- check out townhouses and duplexes in the areas I've mentioned above) get settled and then assess your situation to see where it is you can both afford and prefer to live. Sydney is a big place :D

To rent:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=77575415&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1208602291

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=77575415&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1208602291

Something like this could be ideal if you're considering buying as it's a very rare short term lease, esp for this area

And for sale:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=54647503&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1208602559

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=54647503&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1208602559

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=11917672&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1208602682

Hope this info helps somewhat- having lived and worked in these areas for a long time now I do feel qualified to assist.
Well done on saving such an impressive deposit too!!
Best of luck with it all

The last few days I've been going from work in the city to Castle Hill many times doing the final inspection, settlement, arranging property management, sometimes even multiple round trips in a day. And as someone who never lived in castle hill before and used to 20min train ride to work, I think I qualify to answer your question :cool:

You can forget driving to work, the road traffic is a shocker. Bus is surprisingly pleasant, its air conditioned, M2 and lane cove tunnel with dedicated bus lane means its actually pretty fast getting to and from the city (the pleasure of seeing all other cars crawl to a halt while the bus whiz by is kinda nice). However, the bus seats are so squeezed that I vow not to ever complain about how crap the cityrail train seats are! Overall the trip from castle towers to wynyard usually is around 50mins on okay traffic, still within acceptable range. In addition, the govt plans to built a metro subway linking to the city, which would reduce the travel time to 30mins, but don't hold your breath on it being completed any time soon.

Agree 100% with the bus option- it's the best way to travel to CBD and works out cheaper than the tolls! I love zooming past all that traffic as well, Felix :D

Thanks for the info, how would the 50 min bus trip compare to travelling by car?

I am trying to pick a suburb in the hills area. Is Cherrybrook, Castle Hill any better than Kellyville. Kellyville seems to be cheaper, I am assuming there is a reason??

Thanks for the info, how would the 50 min bus trip compare to travelling by car?

I am trying to pick a suburb in the hills area. Is Cherrybrook, Castle Hill any better than Kellyville. Kellyville seems to be cheaper, I am assuming there is a reason??

Kellyville is further out from CH and Cherrybrook but still has bus services to CBD. Depends on your budget and preference for property- as prices vary.

Hi Gil

We have just got a two bedroom apartment in North Parramatta back, that we had previously sold on a Rent-To-Own (the guys business went bad and he "walked").

I'm overseas at the moment but, if you're interested your interested give my wife Karen a call on 0407 973 235. We are open to renting it or possibly selling it again on a Rent-To-Own. Thanks.

Cheers, Paul

Back