help with setting up Wordpress

does anyone know how to set up a blog using wordpress? and then link it to new domain name?

I downloaded Wordpress, opened up a config.php file,(basically following the instructions), but when it asks me to fill in database info... i dont know what that means...

I have only used Frontpage to set up a website before.

Here are the instructions from Wordpress:

Installation: Famous 5-minute install
Unzip the package in an empty directory.
Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details.
Save the file as wp-config.php
Upload everything.
Open /wp-admin/install.php in your browser. This should setup the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.
Note the password given to you.
The install script should then send you to the login page. Sign in with the username admin and the password generated during the installation. You can then click on 'Profile' to change the password.

Go into the control panel of your webhost and set up a database ...

If you're hosting at home you'll need to run a database like mysql, but pretty much every webhost out there offers you mysql databases.

If you hosted with siteground.com their control panel has a little option called fantastico

It allows you to install a whole host of applications such as wordpress with the touch of a button and it sets up all the databases, etc so you can be up and running in seconds.

Best hosting company ever, been with them for four years.

Siteground is pretty cheap too, I'm paying rather a lot more than that for a lot less traffic/storage. But then the last few hosts we've used were in the < $10 a month range too with vast amounts of storage/transfer and they were mindbogglingly crap ... which is why we're using the host we are now, they came widely recommended as being good but not cheap, and we have been very very happy with them so far. They don't do wordpress out of the box, they have some other blogging package. Most hosts bundle up a bunch of open source software you can use, check what yours has.

The plan siteground has for $199 a month looks pretty good though ...

I pay about $90 US per year including a free domain and have no complaints and nothing but praise. I currently host all my sites with them and have tried others.

We're on this plan but slowly running out of databases and storage space. Only use about 10G a month though.

http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/advanced.html

Need to get a virtual host with serious grunt at some point but they're hard to find, we need as much ram as we can get, but most plans don't go past 1G. I figure we could probably haggle something with *some* host if we're willing to cough up the bikkies, that or we just rent some space in a colo somewhere, terms and conditions permitting - which rules out places like Internode and means we're stuck driving to Sydney (a mere 2000km away) to go to the next nearest colo *sigh*

i was told by someone to use Hostgator?

How are they? Any good? Easy to use?

Do u mean if i set up at Hostgator, it will set up the Wordpress Blog up easily?>

Back