HELP - your advice on reno for tiny 70's 1br flat

I have seen this small but light filled 1br apartment and am considering securing it for my PPOR. I plan to live in it as long as it suits my single lifestyle (single city dweller), and hence plan to renovate this for myself, with the idea that into the future I could let it out when needed.

The block itself is very cheery and well maintained with a lovely security entrance and small garden, so the exterior is wonderful and it's location is great.

But I'd like your advice on a reno, in particular a very rough costing for the
following ideas I have in mind so far:

- New Kitchen
- Install Floorboards to the Lounge OR Lounge & Bedroom
- New Vanity/Storage in Bathroom
- OR New Bathroom

Also what do you think about the ceiling? I can easily put up with it but it seems to have a ridged kind of spackle thing going on (all in this building do). Has anyone encountered that before and what could potentially be done at what cost?

Also, what might you choose to do?

Thanks

2zrdil2.jpg

2rdhibk.jpg

2le07ja.jpg

14j0mz8.jpg

Similar floor plan to a unit my son just bought.

We saw a renovated unit he is going to copy. The linen cupboard was turned into an entertainment area. Cupboards top and bottom still for storage and tv foxtel etc at viewing height. False ceiling installed and wiring ran in the gap to allow this to happen.

TV tucked away from traffic, more options for furniture, and gets rid of ugly ceiling. His new unit has the thee ceiling already an he is going to run the tv antennae through. It will be his ppor

TV was originally on wall where lounge is really limited useful space. Converting linen cupboard really opened up the room.
image.jpg

Nice little unit.. I would suggest a (probably a cavity slider) door from the entry to the bathroom. This will allow visitors to access the toilet/bathroom without having to go through your bedroom.

That's a great idea with the linen cupboard.

Check if strata will allow wooden floors. Sound can be an issue.

New kitchen will do wonders. If you rip the old one out yourself and keep the same configuration it will be cheaper. You could do it for $5K pretty easily. Run overheads to give more storage.

You can install a false ceiling (if strata permits it) as longf as it's not too low to conform to guidelines. If height is an issue you can scrape chanels to put the support beams. That gives you an extra 15ml?

The bathroom is OK, I wouldn't spend the money retiling. I'd just replace the vanity. I don't really like the cupboard but it's not too bad. If not to difficult to remove you could just replace with a nice mirror above the vanity. There's enough height.

You could even get a bench made (from kitchen supplier) and have a built in sink at the other end. If you had a front loader washing machine you could run the bench right through. That would look great.

Sort of like this but with the vanity where the drawers are.

http://www.vissbiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bathroom-Laundry-Room-Layout-Design-Ideas.jpg

Didnt someone do a similar bathroom reno with same window/mirror combination recently.

I would be getting a quote for the ceiling to be gyprocked.
Ok if it was for investment but I could not live with that late 70's early 80's stuff.
Would definitely add value if you could put a doorway from main entrance into bathroom/laundry.

Response

I love all your suggestions so far. I have gone back to take another look at the property today and ended up speaking with someone who lives in a ground level flat. She said it is indeed a quiet block and well maintained by body corp and residents. The block brickwork I asesed and couldn't see any cracks.

Thoughts:
- Long bench in Bathroom: is great idea and would look very attractive. I agree with the white tiles not being removed; bathroom seems still functional and white tiling is attractive enough.
- 2nd Door to Bathroom: I noticed the walls are all brick in the other lady's apartment, so the 2nd entry may be too hard if that is the case.
- Kitchen: here I would like to spend money for myself (PPOR) however I believe the kitchen is an attraction for a future tenant so would not be frivolous. A photo of what I want attached. I would keep current style but probably not have the island bench. This opens the living and frees up living space as I am not a big cook. OR Could have room for a narrow freestanding bench with 4 stools that tuck in to have combined bench/dining table experience.
- Floorboards: How expensive could this be for the Kitchen & Living area? Either real wood or quality wood look. A real pleasure for me is wooden floors and white walls, so this is something I would gain a lot of pleasure out of.
- Pantry in Living: Great idea to have the TV here. I was thinking that or wall hung TV or projector TV. I prefer to hide and that would be a good use of space.
- Potential future idea: Accordion style door opens balcony completely to living. This could conflict with body corp. Could be expensive.
- Potential future idea: Better storage cupboards to bedroom. Alternative could be freestanding that fits well. Ugly existing cupboard door could be removed and replaced.

Inspiration.... I am not sure how $$$ styles like this are. Could anyone give any rough ballpark figures? The apartment looks around 42 square metres by the way...

1q3e5j.jpg

2iqh79w.jpg

qqzawx.jpg

j59ogp.jpg

Shoot I just lost a big reply

- I love the entertainment nook idea.
- agree get rid of kitchen bench and do L shaped kitchen as it opens up area and you can put in a meals area. Put decent overhead cupboards to ceiling on non window wall and pull out pantry. Check ikea for good L shaped kitchen ideas that aren't too expensive.
- put in full length wardrobe on both side of ensuite doors to create more storage space and include drawers in that so no need for a chest of drawers. Again IKEA good for this.
- you can fit a double vanity in that bathroom if you stack dryer above washer. For more streamlined you could put them under bench or stacked in a tall cupboard. Vent dryer to window to reduce condensation which can cause mould problems.

For flooring I would look at the woodlook Lino. Before you go ewwww it's really hard wearing and complies with many body corp strat laws. Cover the whole apartment except for the bathroom to give a uniform open feel.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/251146116690494262/

Thankyou all for your replies. Great response Westminster. I will look at this flooring. I don't mind wood-look as long as it is a high quality look. It is something that I can see I would take pleasure in. Interesting, too, that your suggestion will easily comply with strata.

Love the Ikea bathroom hack with the concealed washer/dryer. Really streamlines the space. Like the idea of using that whole length of wall for good storage. I think if I can use mirrors cleverly enough that also could create more light and open feel.

Strata's concern with wooden floors is that the sound can reverberate on your neighbours and so if you want tiles or real wood then often want super sound deadening underlayer etc. The lino is soft sounding and warm to feet and hard wearing - the vinyl plank stuff is used in many commercial hotels, hairdresser and corporate tea preps/kitchens.

eg http://www.armstrong-aust.com.au/resflrpac/en-au/vinyl-plank.html

I love the look of some of the dark grey ones with fresh white kitchens for a semi industrial look.

Hi artdecolover,

Have you taken into consideration finance if whole unit including car space is under 50 sqm's?

Anyhow some good suggestions above.
Livable as is,kick back and take in the ambience,i'm sure some juicy ideas will spring to mind.

And yup seen plenty of those ceilings,espesh in the older area st kilda,elwood etc.

Anyway,good luck with it all:)

Cheers Spades.

Thanks for sending through that link, Westminster. I had also seen apartments with the carpeting off exposing the concrete floor, then resurfaced. Obviously that is cold in winter etc so negative there.

The link supplied looks really good.

All in all the apartment would only need a serious clean and lick or paint carpets steam cleaned etc for it to be functional. I think it has good bones. If I secure the property I will have to take a closer look at the flooring where I can see and touch it. Sounds like an easier clean.

Spades, the thought has crossed my mind, yes. But I would be more worried about the finance for this were it a OTP for completion in the future. I'm approved for more than double this budget, so I check out, the apartment would just have to meet the bank val surely? I appreciate any advice you can give on this. Considering it is very inner city it seems part of the lifestyle here. Additionally it is listed at a competitive price, where others of a similar floorplan have been a higher sell price (renovated and unrenovated cases).

Another seperate thought, in terms of layout only, this picture shows how the kitchen/living/balcony could function, with the kitchen just taking up the back wall with good storage and the furniture arranged to open up to face the balcony.
2mdl06t.jpg

Last edited:
Art Deco,
What spades is talking about is the deposit% that banks want for sub 40 and sometimes sub 50 sqm dwellings. The LVR can be a killer at 60 meaning you'll need a 40% deposit.

Thanks for explaining that Westminster. I only have a 10-15% deposit. What would you think I should do in that case? I was trying to put in an offer prior to auction. The agent has already specified due to the auction being only a couple weeks away that it would have to be an unconditional offer and I have already stipulated it must be subject to pest and building inspection. I have read about the risk concerning val for OTP but wasn't aware they could demand a higher dep. I will contact my bank and the agent to get more details. I am happy to proceed with caution.

Thanks for explaining that Westminster. I only have a 10-15% deposit. What would you think I should do in that case? I was trying to put in an offer prior to auction. The agent has already specified due to the auction being only a couple weeks away that it would have to be an unconditional offer and I have already stipulated it must be subject to pest and building inspection. I have read about the risk concerning val for OTP but wasn't aware they could demand a higher dep. I will contact my bank and the agent to get more details. I am happy to proceed with caution.

Talk to one of the brokers here - much more knowledgeable and will be able to find the bank who has the most flexible policies for small units.

Find the exact size of the unit plus balcony, plus stores, plus carparking to try and work the various policies at banks as to what you can include in the total amount of space.

Hi artdecolover,

Is car space on title?If so this may get you over the line re:finance for 50 sqm dwellings.
Maybe confirm with rea if total area is over 50sqm's.

Btw is this a art deco building?

Cheers Spades.

Hi Spades, boy would I be happy if this were a deco or heritage building. It's a neat block of 12 flats in total, three sets of stairwells with 2 apartments per floor. Yes, it has a balcony and car space. It is wonderfully maintained with a north facing balcony and security entrance. Car park not visible to the rear so no sound there. A lovely established garden.

I will calculate the floor space but don't have the section 32 yet.

Now that I have checked using a design program, it appears 36sq internal +1sq bathroom +1-2sq balcony +car park.... So yes this is the tiny category. What are your thoughts on this size? And finance?

Back