HELP - your advice on reno for tiny 70's 1br flat

Here is a link for a contractor in Sydney who does the suspended ceiling in units.

http://www.kkplastering.com.au/Index.asp?pagename=Vermiculite+Ceilings&site=1&siteid=330

He has a youtube there of the process which you may find interesting.

I think he was quoting about the $3.5k mark.

Personally I don't think you really need to do anything but address the access to the bathroom from the lounge area. Unless you are happy for your visitors to walk through your bedroom to get to the bathroom.

From your plan you could cut a doorway through behind the front door and maybe hang a sliding door so that the new door does not interfere with either the front door or the door in the bathroom.

Cheers

Thanks for explaining that Westminster. I only have a 10-15% deposit. What would you think I should do in that case? I was trying to put in an offer prior to auction. The agent has already specified due to the auction being only a couple weeks away that it would have to be an unconditional offer and I have already stipulated it must be subject to pest and building inspection. .

ALWAYS make offers "subject to finance" - it means you do have some avenues to pull out. Get a broker as suggested above and use them. Get all your ducks in a row and costs you nothing.

Thanks for explaining that Westminster. I only have a 10-15% deposit. What would you think I should do in that case? I was trying to put in an offer prior to auction. The agent has already specified due to the auction being only a couple weeks away that it would have to be an unconditional offer and I have already stipulated it must be subject to pest and building inspection. I have read about the risk concerning val for OTP but wasn't aware they could demand a higher dep. I will contact my bank and the agent to get more details. I am happy to proceed with caution.

I would think that putting in an offer before auction would require that you do your building and pest beforehand.

Good luck!

Handyandy, the wall is brick/double brick... Guessing this May be $$? Also what do others think about such a small square metreage?

Yes I realise. My bet would be single skin.

A demo saw will make quick work creating an opening. You then only need to square set the opening and do some carpentry work on the lounge room side to fit a frame and sliding door. You need to put a frame that's larger than the opening so that you can maintain privacy in the bathroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDigCODnhhg

Cut it from the bathroom side.

There are consideration - BC approval, electrical cabling and water located in the wall.

Just had a look at you plan again and I would think that it is unlikely that you have any plumbing in that wall. The electrical would be a different matter but you can get detectors that make it easy to determine life wires.

Cheers

PS Sorry didn't notice the shower tucked away there - plumbing run would definitely need to be identified.

I would make a new door from the entry into the bathroom. Also if thats a bath with a shower over, I would pull it out and make a shower, then you could put the washer and dryer as a stacker next to it.

Back