Here is my property listing!

I would also cancel the auction and go to a private treaty price, as quickly as possible. Dont wait another 2 weeks.
With that level of interest, its unlikely the auction will be a success, and you have now lost the "peak" interest time in the property.
Have any of the people at the inspection given feedback on the pricing for the property?
I suspect that its just that the market is very soft at the moment, and unfortunately, you are likely to be in for a long haul.

They also said they'd be interested in putting in an offer before the auction, and that they knew the unit next to our's had sold last year for $315,000. This is not true. I checked, and the owner of this unit still owns it and has not sold it. They bought it in 2006 for $317,000).

Luckily they didnt quote you the one that sold for $300K in Dec11. Maybe a different layout but still an indication to buyers. (as long as is\ts correct of course)
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-chevron+island-108285351

I just hate auctions as all they seem to be an intense free marketing period for the RE agents paid for by the vendor with little return in the current market where clearance rates seem to be at an extreme low like 35% in Brisbane.

There are also so many fire sales nearby at Surfers Paradise. It would be better to hold wait until closer to the Commonwealth Games in 2018. That may be a better time to sell and hopefully the market be in favor for sellers, unless you need to get out financially.

Last edited:
There are also so many fire sales nearby at Surfers Paradise. It would be better to hold wait until closer to the Commonwealth Games in 2018. That may be a better time to sell and hopefully the market be in favor for sellers, unless you need to get out financially.

hold a property for 6 years in the hope it would increase? sounds like a terrible plan to me. in the meantime youve got money tied up doing absolutely nothing

id much rather take the hit and move on to more productive things

What have you decided to do?

I'm assuming the agent wants you to pay for more advertising for the extra two weeks?

It will be stale by then, people wondering why the auction has been postponed.

I'd list it for a price slightly higher than you need, see what happens. After two or three weeks if you don't get any offers, take it off and try again when there are new buyers and it doesn't appear to be stale and/or a "problem" listing.

Last edited:
hold a property for 6 years in the hope it would increase? sounds like a terrible plan to me. in the meantime youve got money tied up doing absolutely nothing

id much rather take the hit and move on to more productive things

All depends on the situation,circumstances and reason wanting to get out. But looking around it could be quite a huge hit if you really wanting to get out in a quick fashion.

Last edited:

Tweed, Byron and Ballina (as mentioned in the article) are not the Gold Coast :confused: but I do agree with the article. I've always assumed that units, townhouses, etc in regional areas take longer to sell as there's plenty of space around (unlike in capital cities) and usually not a huge price difference between them and a free-standing house (the house being on a much bigger parcel of land with no body corp fees). Although these areas are God's waiting rooms for pensioners wanting low maintenance and with the huge influx of retiring sea-changer baby boomers in recent years, I'm guessing their (units, etc) time will come?

I'm wondering if your place sold this morning?

If not, what do you plan to do?

I have my fingers crossed that "no news is good news" and that you'll be back with some good news, if not today, then in the next day or two if you have a buyer who could not afford to buy under auction terms.

Hiya :)

Nah, didn't sell at auction. We didn't expect it to. No bids. No one registered. Quite a lot of interest at the auction and 4 new groups came to inspect it before the auction...

We have someone apparently very interested coming tomorrow to inspect...there's the standard open inspection on Saturday...

So we'll see.

Hiya :)

Nah, didn't sell at auction. We didn't expect it to. No bids. No one registered. Quite a lot of interest at the auction and 4 new groups came to inspect it before the auction...

We have someone apparently very interested coming tomorrow to inspect...there's the standard open inspection on Saturday...

So we'll see.

any offers yet, even low ones?

Nope. No offers. No one came to the open homes we had last weekend (the weekend after the auction).

There's been yet more views on realestate.com (over 1200 now), but they're still not translating to actual inspections.

We have it priced at offers over $300,000. All comparable properties in this immediate area for the same bedrooms, bathrooms, size and layout are all asking $369,000, $374,000 and $395,000.

We are having more inspections this weekend, as usual. Both days. Apparently there is an interested person coming on both days, so we'll see if they actually turn up and what happens.

Right now it's somewhat stressful as last weekend we had my mum staying with us so we had to pack up the air bed for the inspection and then put it back down again, and we'll have to do the same thing for the next 2 weekends as my partner's mum is staying with us for 2 weeks. She will have to pack up all her things, stuff them in her suitcase and deflate that bed several times, which she will not like. It is also my partner's 50th birthday and we are very busy but have to work around our plans to have these inspections. If there are actual people coming (for once), that'd be worth it though.

We have it priced at offers over $300,000. All comparable properties in this immediate area for the same bedrooms, bathrooms, size and layout are all asking $369,000, $374,000 and $395,000.

What are you hoping to get for your property? These others for much higher must be overpriced by a LOT or yours is underpriced, but going on what you have told us, yours is not underpriced.

If it was, you would have sold by now, so it does beg the question... who has advised these other sellers to list at such high prices? Maybe they are not particularly motivated sellers.

Yeah, you're right - it's not stressful to put an air bed away. I should've said it's inconvenient to do that (somewhat, not much), but the stressful part is actually having to have the inspections while my partner's mother is here. It is highly stressful having her stay. She stays for 2 weeks and our place is too small for us all to NOT be in each other's way constantly. We lose our study / music room and all our free time and space for those 2 weeks, and she tends to spread out a LOT and can also be resistant to getting up early (which will be required for the inspections) and tidying up. But meh. It's all good.

If someone offered us $340,000, we'd be over the moon!!! We could take $330,000 and be ok...

And yes, we do not know WHO advises all these other people to list their properties at $395,000, $374,000, etc. It is plain ridiculous. One of them has been on the market (on and off) for 18 months, at $374,000 the whole time. It's a nice place...identical to our's (in a different building on the main road, so louder than our's, and also a very small balcony instead of our large terraces) except the kitchen has been renovated. Looks nice. But $374,000 is clearly way too high. You'd think they'd notice that maybe, just MAYBE, that's why it hasn't sold yet.

The $395,000 one is in a building down the road from us...identical again to our's except the apartments are not quite as big (we've seen inside several of them), and the building has 21 units instead of 15, like our's. $395,000. I am shocked they'd even try for that.

I guess their agents are saying to price it way too high in the hope of getting offers that are acceptable and not too low. But they also run the risk of having nobody show any interest because it's just too damn high. Right? Or wrong? I don't know.

Or else the agents are full of cr@p and feeding the sellers a heap of lies about how they CAN get that price and all they need is the "right buyer" to come along. Hmm. But surely the sellers themselves wouldn't BELIEVE stuff like that. They must KNOW what the market is like, at least somewhat...

And if they HAVE to take $395,000 or $374,000 and cannot afford to take any less...well...*shrug*

But this is also why we're a bit puzzled as to why not much interest has been shown to our place...when our's stands out as being one of the best of all the other almost identical ones (some DO look nice also, but several are tired and dark in the photos, not as big, are tenanted so are not really presented very well, etc) AND it's the lowest priced...so...COME ON, PEOPLE! COME AND LOOK AT IT!!

I guess their agents are saying to price it way too high in the hope of getting offers that are acceptable and not too low. But they also run the risk of having nobody show any interest because it's just too damn high. Right? Or wrong? I don't know.

Right :D. Or they might be like a friend of mine years ago who thought it was a good tactic to ask $300K for a house worth $200K and just wait until someone came along prepared to pay $300K :confused:

Have you thought about contacting some buyers agents to see if they have any first home owners or investors looking for something like yours? It could be worthwhile.

didn't really read everything but if you going to try to sell it those TV cabinets has got really too much stuff. Also those green curtains?...

Back