Heres a Tenant you dont see everyday?

OK, hope this makes you laugh or scratch your head...it made me scratch my head...but then after seeing it, and talking about it...wonder were it leaves me?

OK, very basic...IP is rented out to family and they moved into my house in April this year, after renting in a previous house for 13 years!...so far, rent paid on time and house is in reasonable condition outside...and so far has been clean on inside...

To get a picture...The house has a built in carport attached , and it fits 2 cars. Where the cars are parked, it has a door theat opens into a work shed, that is part of the house. So a brick house rectangle, with a carport at the end and the other half an enclosed workshed. If that makes sense...The workshed is 3.5m x 3.5m

So i had made arrangements to go up and pick something up..when i got there, the driveway had a tradies ute in it..as i walked up, he was working in the workshed. :confused:..I squizzed in and had a look...now, the tenant has paid for a carpenter, a plasterer, a carpet layer, a painter an electrician, and they have totally carpeted the workshed, put lights in it, plastered and painted the enclosed area, and is a very good job, no probs there. :D

They have also built a step up section , and basically, have turned it into an office in which she is selling online herbal tablets etc..nothing the law would be interested. I dont think she has customers coming as she knows not allowed, but the neighbors have said they saw a large metal sign erected in front lawn advertising :eek:...When i went in, she came out and showed me and its all decked out fantastic....sign has been taken down...

So i told the PM and they scracted their head and said never heard of it before..went up and noted it and told the tenant they must ask to do that stuff and cant just go renovating, but if they leave, they cannot tear it down, as it now becomes part of the strutual design!! and there is no compensation for doing it.

Have you ever seen or hear of that..I said next 6 month inspection, they will have a bloody double story on it!:):p

Anyone know what the ramifications may be, or does it have to stay there, lol

Its a bloody good job i must admit and hides all the oil stains ......

Sounds bizarre.

It's good that it ultimately works out in your favor - but I'd have the PM keep a close eye going forward.

Cheers

Jamie

you dont need a building licence for it to be done as here in vic, you need to obtain plans or licence only when you are changing an external wall or adding onto the the plans of the house. They havent, all they have done is kept the shape and plastered it and painted it...its fine...I could have done it , dont need a licence..only plumbing or electrical work requires a sign off by qualified person.

So i had made arrangements to go up and pick something up..when i got there, the driveway had a tradies ute in it..as i walked up, he was working in the workshed. :confused:..I squizzed in and had a look...now, the tenant has paid for a carpenter, a plasterer, a carpet layer, a painter an electrician, and they have totally carpeted the workshed, put lights in it, plastered and painted the enclosed area, and is a very good job, no probs there. :D

They have also built a step up section , and basically, have turned it into an office in which she is selling online herbal tablets etc..nothing the law would be interested. I dont think she has customers coming as she knows not allowed, but the neighbors have said they saw a large metal sign erected in front lawn advertising :eek:...When i went in, she came out and showed me and its all decked out fantastic....sign has been taken down...

There are all sorts of ramifications.

Who says he had an electrician in. Most likely they did the wiring themselves. Not that hard but if something was not done correctly there is no cover.

Further there is now a posibility of white-ants attack as it doesn't sound there would have been any deterrent measures included in the build. Wood directly on concrete that was not termite sprayed underneath and possibly no builders plastic underneath thus moisture will get to the wood structure which is now nicely enclosed in gyprock to hide any activity.

It is hard when tenants do these sort of things. I much prefer if they just don't even at their own expense because invariably you still need to rectify at end of the lease.

We had a call recently that there was a crack in the ceiling of a house. Went to investigate and we found that the tenants were getting ready for their wedding reception at home and had been doing 'improvement'. Installed new carpet but crappy. Installed ceiling fans and we suspect crawled around in the ceiling in the process thus the crack in the ceiling. New shower screens but looks like he picked them up from a council cleanup - look terrible. Has terraformed the yard - most trees ad bushes gone to make it easy to mow.

He has been in place 7+ years and showing no signs of moving. Seems the longer the tenants are in place the more they feel like the house is theirs to do with what they want.

This is just one example we have many but this guy is extreme.

Cheers

oh trust me..they didnt do it..he called me round one day to change a light bulb in the hanging lights..an LED one..he couldnt figure out how to push it up and twist and didnt want to break the light...no offence..Hes in IT!..lol

yeah got a similar long term tenant who has replaced the entire fence with colorbond , put in aircon and her father (carpenter) fitted out back shed for
sleepout for her daughter , they are on a good wicket re rent . She has just
repainted a few rooms and replaced the carpet for the secound time.

Would definitely get more rent but they look after it and the house does have
some sentimental value being my grandmothers.

Gees, you guys are easygoing, I'd be having a panic attack about their actions invalidating my insurance...

Back