Hervey Bay?

Does anyone have any experience in property in Hervey Bay. The prices seem really good compared to the city, and very close to the beach. BUT - from what I can work out there is very little growth? Also - there appears to be a few new estates going in (no where near the water).

So - have you invested in HB? Would you? It is supposed to be a fast growing area (but maybe that's just retirees?).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Population growth in the area -> what/who is it? If it's just retirees then they probably aren't going to fuel the house market.

Industries in the area -> Sugar, tourism, fishing stuff? What happens to the area when one of these goes quiet?

Too small a place for me im afraid.

Years ago a local politician was blasted for stating that Hervey Bay was for the "newly wed and the nearly dead".

Don't think much has changed.
Marg

Funny, just been looking at that today. This thread was old but a good read http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39177

Have friends up there so we go up a lot. nothing changes and not a lot at all for the kids to do -then again mine like the surf -its as flat as up there.
Dundowran and Dundowran beach had a huge hype a fair few years ago. I know of a few people who paid well over the top there and Eli waters -mega loans and little rent. One lot of friends were renting a lovely million dollar plus house ( well that's their price for it ) for 500 a week -lol. It was mega nice. They have since decided to move this way - kids and jobs.
But, who knows ??

sorry for rambling !

Good place to retire to quite a bit to do for kids but depends where your from I guess waterpark indoor skate park cinemas etc.

not a lot of work although 155 jobs were just available in the new stocklands extension but 1200 applications were put in for those jobs.

a quick search on seek will tell you whats around, it is whale watching season though and supposedly there is a bit of work on boats.

I have had a house in the area for years and wouldn't get what we paid for it

if you don't mind high rates and a useless council you can get a nice place close to the beach for cheap compared to other areas.

If you want a decent wage you'll need to work elsewhere as many do.

unless your a health care proffesional

Market boomed there 5-10 years ago and we did quite well on some quick turnovers and DA's on the esplanade. It has done nothing since from what I can tell.

Transport - omg -stuck !! you need a car.
The plans for a big water park have been turned down.
Frazer island boats now gone to river heads - tourism ask the managers of the backpackers -hang on , think they might of moved.
Did you see the rents for stocklands ??? eeekkk

Transport - omg -stuck !! you need a car.
The plans for a big water park have been turned down.
Frazer island boats now gone to river heads - tourism ask the managers of the backpackers -hang on , think they might of moved.
Did you see the rents for stocklands ??? eeekkk

I agree with some of your statements however you don't necessarily need a car buses run daily all over Hervey Bay.

The outer suburbs however Toogoom Dundowran Craignish etc generally only have 1 daily bus then again if you didn't have a car you wouldn't really live in the outskirts.

One backpackers shut down thats not the only backpackers in Hervey Bay several are still going along fine.

as for the barge moving to river heads there is talk of moving it back to the marina but who knows.

The majority of whale watching fishing charters cruises etc all dock at the marina still.

personally I love the area and plenty to do but it will never be the Gold coast Sydney etc.

If any of the several mining projects go ahead I can see the market in a decent upswing if mining picks back up.

Overall its a decent affordable place to retire with plenty to do and decent amount of shops compared to other areas around the Queensland coast.

If your still working and not a health care professional etc not the best place to try and find a job locally.

Back