Hic - wine recipes wanted!

Just to keep those who know me happy - and vaguely property related - below is a photo of part of my half renovated kitchen ...

... and then onto my actual question ...

... moving forward in our farming venture - and making use of our second kitchen - we're looking at applying for a market stall position at one of the prestigious local markets (no tat - all 100% handmade by the local seller).

At this stage we only have the garlic, wine pastes and a few recipes I'm going to experiment with this week - so looking at more wine based products to make and sell.

Don't need any garlic ideas as our crop won't be harvested until November - and I already have a dozen value add options for the garlic.

But until the garlic is ready we're looking at stocking wine value-add products instead. The products have to be alcohol-free, formed by boiling during cooking (which also aids sterilisation), and not require refrigeration.

So far I have the 3 wine pastes - 6 100% natural (food quality) facial masks - 3 food quality skin moisturising bars - and 6 mulled wines.

Was thinking about reductions, glazes and marinades, but the amount you get from reducing the wine wouldn't make it viable as a profit making product - sauces would have to be where the wine is an addition to cheaper bases rather than the main feature.

Happy to investigate/experiment/steal suggestions and recipes :D

Hic ... only 2 hours to go until wine-o'clock

Attachments

• WP_20140613_001.jpg
    WP_20140613_001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 137
We just went down to the granite belt for the queens birthday weekend. I bought a yummy Shiraz and balsamic glaze. It is yummy brushed over lamb chops on the BBQ .

Other ideas might be beef and red wine pies :)

The Winery near my son sells non alcoholic Chardonay for both drinking and cooking. Ideal for me, as I have a liver problem that does not allow me to have any alcohol in my diet whatsoever.

What about trifles?

Chris

It is winter, mix your own brew for a gluwein. (I'll take a demijohn or two.)

haha - had to google Gluhwein as had no idea ... turns out it's mulled wine with a flasher name.

The jellies are the same as the pastes (and are selling really well) - so got that covered.

Could do a balsamic/wine combo - but there is a major glut of balsamic vinegars for sale around here. Every cellar door (around 150) seems to stock their version ... and they are very yummy! :D

Won't do anything that requires freezing or refrigeration as too difficult at outdoor markets and for vendors to take home- so that rules out granita (but sounds delicious) and ice-cream and trifles.

The goats cheese, honey and wine sounds interesting ... and got me thinking ... fruit preserves/jams with wine could be a go. Wine marmalade ... mmmmm

Was hoping someone far flung has seen some interesting stuff elsewhere (even if vague) as happy to invent my own version and experiment

Oh yum ... I just drooled too ... :D

Have purchase supplies for an experimental cookup tomorrow.

2 mulled wines

1 compote

3 wine marmalades

... and if I get lucky ...

4. mulled wine and chocolate sauce - which can be sterilised via both cooking and boiling when in the bottle.

if you're combining red wine and chocolate you need to use a good quality dark chocolate, like Green & Co or better. forget 'cooking chocolate' or the like.

high dairy contents will RUIN a red wine chocolate sauce, the acid in the reduction breaks down the dairy and it separates over time - first it just tastes a bit 'chocolate-less' then just goes downhill from there.

if you're combining red wine and chocolate you need to use a good quality dark chocolate, like Green & Co or better. forget 'cooking chocolate' or the like.

high dairy contents will RUIN a red wine chocolate sauce, the acid in the reduction breaks down the dairy and it separates over time - first it just tastes a bit 'chocolate-less' then just goes downhill from there.

The recipe I'm going to try has very little "chocolate" in it - more pure cocoa and sugar syrup ... nom nom nom

Ok I might have just drooled on myself when I thought of.......

bottled red wine chocolate sauce for icecream :)

I had a quick google and it's an actual thing but most seem fresh recipes but I'm sure you could adapt somehow

http://foodcomablog.com/2011/12/red-wine-chocolate-sauce/

OMG. Well that blows my healthy eating kick. :D. I googled "red wine chocolate brownies" and it shows loads too. Hmmm think there just might be a brownie/ice cream / sauce dessert coming up soon. :)

... the noise one makes when munching into something delicious.

Anyhow - first market in two weeks so busy gearing up. The products are doing really well at the local outlets. Made a batch of mulled wine, expecting that after 10 minutes rapid boiling it would be alcohol free.

Nope.

Still registers at 6% so can't sell that product ... anyone want some mulled wine? I've got 28 bottles sitting in the shed. Shiraz, Tawny Port or Chardonnay :D hic :eek:

Back