All-time low interest rates and increased demand in big city markets are making certain regional towns very attractive for the investor market. Towns like Tweed Heads and Lismore have units 2 or 3 bedroom units under $250,000 with rental yields of 7% gross. Factoring in council rates and body corporate fees provides a return better than 5.5%, which beats current bank interest.

Generally inner city prices have been growing at 2.4 times that of regional areas. However not all regional areas are the same, and if you know where to look, there are gems to be found.

Southern Cross University has increased demand for student accommodation, which is driving investment in Lismore. Retirees and young families are flocking to Tweed Heads. Ballina also has strong investment potential as a favourite among the retiring baby boomers and Murwillumbah provides a unique rural lifestyle and hub for towns like Uki, Kyogle and Nimbin that are centres for alternative culture.

Feel free to reply with any hidden gems that you know about!

Last edited:
My best ROI development site is in goulburn NSW.

Picked up at bargain..and looking to develope 4 townhouse on it (plus retain existing house)

Well done!
Settled today on the cosmetically challenged 8 per cent yield before reno 3 bed concrete block house in Parkes. 148K.:) Where to start? Plumbing I think.:eek:

Well done and a great return. Any idea of you potential yield post reno WattleIdo?

Thanks hugh72. Rent is currently 230 pw. I guess I could get 300 pw after reno. Main thing would be to improve tenant. Currently a family of 6. Would like single or couple of course.
Is yield the rent and return the CG?
Anyway, am aiming for 250K revaluation after renos assuming no change in Parkes values.

Thanks hugh72. Rent is currently 230 pw. I guess I could get 300 pw after reno. Main thing would be to improve tenant. Currently a family of 6. Would like single or couple of course.

Is the property on the north end of town, toward the North Parkes Mine or east toward the airport? When do you envisage renovating?

Is the property on the north end of town, toward the North Parkes Mine or east toward the airport? When do you envisage renovating?

Good question Harro. It's on the east side of the HS which is on the east of the town. Keep in mind that this is a concrete block duckling and was stigmatised.
Will have to give tenants 3 months if I want to get in and live/ revamp. But some things need doing asap such as outdoor termites, drains and broken asbestos garage.

Good question Harro. It's on the east side of the HS which is on the east of the town. Keep in mind that this is a concrete block duckling and was stigmatised.
Will have to give tenants 3 months if I want to get in and live/ revamp. But some things need doing asap such as outdoor termites, drains and broken asbestos garage.

Hope it all goes well for you. Had an IP many years ago in Forbes, but unfortunately was tenanted to undesirables and we managed to sell getting back our original outlay, but overall lost out.
We were aiming just for cash flow, as capital gains are hard to come by.

Hope it all goes well for you. Had an IP many years ago in Forbes, but unfortunately was tenanted to undesirables and we managed to sell getting back our original outlay, but overall lost out.
We were aiming just for cash flow, as capital gains are hard to come by.
Unfortunately Forbes has a lot of undesirables! On the other hand there are some decent types too. Could have been a timing issue in your case? There's a Bunnings there now! And some top quality immigrants giving it a go in both towns. A few anyway.

Generally inner city prices have been growing at 2.4 times that of regional areas. However not all regional areas are the same, and if you know where to look, there are gems to be found.

Given you've quoted a specific number , I'd be curious as to your source of that number .

Cliff

Michael is a renowned Buyers agent

He knows his stuff

The best there is

:)

Maybe , but it's only his second post here and I don't know him from a Bar of Soap .

The way he worded the opening post had me wondering about his motives.

I think my question is a Valid Question .

If he is renowned Buyers Agent and is here to generate business for himself , then I think he should be putting more of an effort into the post to demonstrate his knowledge , rather than asking a question with minimal information , asking for more information, and then someone chimes in saying he is a renowned Buyers agent , the best there is .

On what basis do you make that claim ?

There are many BA's on the forum. In a couple of cases ( Jacques and Andrew Allen ) they have contributed significantly to the forum for over ten years .

Cliff

Last edited:
Could it be??

Attachments

• 2000px-Star_of_David.svg.png
    2000px-Star_of_David.svg.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 78
Back