Hidden GoPro camera reveals what it's like to walk through NYC as a woman.

Link to video here.

It's seeing videos like this, and listening to comments made to my girlfriend on the street, that make me think that there's a way to go yet as far as gender equality.

It's not hard statistics, just a vibe I get from the environment I'm in.

Might as well lock this thread right now 'cause I reckon it could easily head downhill fast :D.

My logic was, because the original topic was to do with gender equality, and I'm the OP, it might keep it alive for a bit longer. :p

I thought it worth posting because I often see statistics thrown around which are used to indicate "there's no need for feminism anymore, the genders are equal". An experience like this is more anecdotal but just as important.

We'll see how we go. Maybe I should start running odds on thread survival time?

I see people saying hello and complimenting her while she acts rudely and barges through everyone. She must have a lot of time on her hands to cherry pick every comment made during a 10 hour walk and edit it into a 1.5 minute video. I think OP is trolling posting this and the thread should be locked or deleted.

I see people saying hello and complimenting her while she acts rudely and barges through everyone. She must have a lot of time on her hands to cherry pick every comment made during a 10 hour walk and edit it into a 1.5 minute video. I think OP is trolling posting this and the thread should be locked or deleted.

You see people saying hello and complimenting her? I see someone stalk her for 5 minutes, and then another person follow her for about 2 minutes. If a stranger followed me for more than a minute I'd probably stop and ask them what the hell they were doing. She's probably not as fond of that option due to a fear of confrontation with strange men.

I see a group of guys yell at her to smile. As a male, if a group of people started yelling at me on the street to smile I'd be weirded the hell out.

Here are the times in the video which seem innocuous enough:

0:14 "How are you doing today?" just a question, only he doesn't stop, it's followed up by "I guess not good... smile!!" and another harasser joining in "SMILE!" This is definitely harassment.

0:37 "How are you this morning?"

0:40 "Have a nice evening"

0:50 "Hello, good morning. God bless you, have a good day alright?"

1:15 "Hey look it there!"

These comments do seem innocuous enough, but why are they saying hello? Why are they talking to her? Do they say hello to all the men that walk past? Do they ask them how they are doing? Or are they speaking to her specifically because she's an attractive female? If they're only speaking to her for that reason, what is their intention?

It's a 10 hour walk. I counted 20 separate clips where people are speaking to her. That's once every half an hour someone comments on her appearance, tells her to smile, asks how she's going, etc.

There's a good discussion on reddit about the video. A number of women respond that they've had similar experiences and explain why they feel threatened by things which seem as simple as "hello".

http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromos...n_gopro_camera_reveals_what_its_like_to_walk/

I see people saying hello and complimenting her while she acts rudely and barges through everyone. She must have a lot of time on her hands to cherry pick every comment made during a 10 hour walk and edit it into a 1.5 minute video.

I didn't watch the video. Didn't need to after seeing who the video was made/sponsored by. Hollaback is just another fembot conspiracy theory propaganda machine not worth the time it takes to mention their name.

Quite a few people were street vendors, and it's possible they were trying to attract business; that happens everywhere. Most of it was uninvited harassment (abet in the form of compliments). The end summary indicates there's 100+ incidents over 10 hours.

She may have cherry picked it into a short video, it may be the most extreme incidents, but people shouldn't have to tolerate this sort of thing. Once every 30 minutes or every 2 minutes makes no difference. Like most guys I'm inclined to appreciate an attractive woman from the corner of my eye but there's no reason to harass her. The only time I say, "Damn girl!!!" is when my wife shows off something sexy to me in private.

Fortunately I think most Australians have gotten this message over the last few decades, I recall radio talk back mentioning it quite a bit years ago. It still happens but I'd like to believe that culturally we're a bit beyond this.

Keep in mind that 20 years ago in New York the video would have ended with the young lady holding a can of Mace to defend herself from a mugger.

I think OP is trolling posting this and the thread should be locked or deleted.

Strongly disagree. Although I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for the OP, he (and everyone else) has a right to express their views. Anyone that doesn't like or agree with it has the right to ignore it or not participate in the discussion.

Fortunately I think most Australians have gotten this message over the last few decades, I recall radio talk back mentioning it quite a bit years ago. It still happens but I'd like to believe that culturally we're a bit beyond this.

I'd like to believe that we're past it as well, but unfortunately we're not. I have 2 female friends that have larger breasts than the average woman and the amount of comments, stares, catcalling they receive is disgusting.

We certainly are getting better and are lightyears ahead of many other places, but we may as well just keep improving until everyone understands it.

Also remember that the "hidden camera" is located on a person walking in front of the "victim" and it looks as though together they are attracting attention.

Its a cultural thing: This is in Manhattan FFS, not just any random place in the world.

Ruth Orkin did something similar in Italy, in the 1950s or 1960s. This has turned into an iconic image. It was mostly staged: the woman with the pained expression is a friend of the photographer, and they had to do it a couple of times to get the right expressions on the guys.

feature-american-girl-c.jpg

Also remember that the "hidden camera" is located on a person walking in front of the "victim" and it looks as though together they are attracting attention.

Its a cultural thing: This is in Manhattan FFS, not just any random place in the world.

Oh, so then it's ok if it occurs in Manhattan? Which you could argue is just about the economic/political/cultural/social capital of the world?

Or is it ok to be harassed because they're "attracting attention"?

In the reddit thread I posted, the director of the video comments and described the way they hid the camera, I doubt that people were noticing the tiny little lens and thus deciding to tell the girl behind the person with the camera to smile...

I used a GoPro chest mount, worn backwards, with a black t shirt that had a hole cut that fit snuggly around the lense. I then wore a bright yellow backpack under the camera to distract the eyes, and dressed like I was just walking to the gym.

I told her to stay within 5-10 ft, I set the pace, and one of her jobs was to maintain that distance.

Link to video here.

It's seeing videos like this, and listening to comments made to my girlfriend on the street, that make me think that there's a way to go yet as far as gender equality.

It's not hard statistics, just a vibe I get from the environment I'm in.

This isn't gender inequality its more just guys trying to pick up chicks. Its not sexism or an injustice its just guys having a crack.

I would say that its a bunch of uncultured men, trying to pick up in a very crass manner. But she is most likely walking down a street in the Ghetto part of NY, where these guys are just hanging around doing nothing all day. just a bunch of what we would consider bogans.

if this is about equality perhaps women should start throwing themselves at men on the street.

This isn't gender inequality its more just guys trying to pick up chicks. Its not sexism or an injustice its just guys having a crack.

I would say that its a bunch of uncultured men, trying to pick up in a very crass manner. But she is most likely walking down a street in the Ghetto part of NY, where these guys are just hanging around doing nothing all day. just a bunch of what we would consider bogans.

if this is about equality perhaps women should start throwing themselves at men on the street.

No it is gender inequality. The inequality is that men are able to walk down the street without being harassed like this.

It's sexism because the men are doing it to the women based on the fact they are females. Based on their sex.

Interesting that some posters expect her to 'smile' and 'say hello back'. How dare she not smile sweetly and be appreciative of their ogling and call outs! Who does she think she is! She needs to be taught a lesson.

No it is gender inequality. The inequality is that men are able to walk down the street without being harassed like this.

It's sexism because the men are doing it to the women based on the fact they are females. Based on their sex.

No.
It's not gender inequality. Either gender is allowed to propose to their opposite gender, or their same gender if thats their preference.

It's also not sexism. They're doing it to women based on the fact that they're heterosexual. If they were homosexual they'd be doing it to men.

No.
It's not gender inequality. Either gender is allowed to propose to their opposite gender, or their same gender if thats their preference.

It's also not sexism. They're doing it to women based on the fact that they're heterosexual. If they were homosexual they'd be doing it to men.

That's rubbish. It's sexist that men think it is ok to constantly harass women, irrespective of their reasoning. That they think it's ok to yell out and comment on women's bodies or tell them to smile.

I see people saying hello and complimenting her while she acts rudely and barges through everyone. She must have a lot of time on her hands to cherry pick every comment made during a 10 hour walk and edit it into a 1.5 minute video.

I couldn't agree more.

Some of the guys may be crass and have no style, and others are downright rude. But this is from TEN HOURS of walking and she has just cherrypicked the 1.5 minutes of footage that shows what she wants it to show.

And some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous.

How the hell is trying to pick up someone on the street gender inequality, sexism or harassment? Are guys not allowed to express an interest in someone these days? Is a guy not allowed to go up and try to talk to someone they find attractive?

PS. I should take a video of me walking around in gym wear for 10 hours - I guarantee you I could make 1.5 minutes worth of footage out it. If a girl stares at me or says something, I do not consider it sexism, harassment or gender inequality!

Back