High Council Rates in QLD?

If only it was a "nerve" ....

Gees..I wish ! If it was only a "nerve" I woudn't give a rats. It's the thieving sticky fingers on my wallet that hurts !! :mad: With no system of checks and balances and no alternative.
LL

Gees..I wish ! If it was only a "nerve" I woudn't give a rats. It's the thieving sticky fingers on my wallet that hurts !! :mad: With no system of checks and balances and no alternative.
LL
I agree; I'm actually a small government fan myself. But compared to the billions spent on sports stadiums, the Australian Institute of Sport, art galleries, museums, ballet, opera, arts grants, and many other things which the government sponsors, the relatively few bucks involved in putting on a few films in the park just isn't significant enough to raise my blood pressure. :)

Though I've never understood why rates are related to land value, rather than number of occupants or some other metric related to consumption. :confused:

Though I've never understood why rates are related to land value, rather than number of occupants or some other metric related to consumption. :confused:

A relative was on a committee of owners several years back with a polititian, trying to find a better way to work out land valuations (which impacts on rates). I do remember some of the members wanted those whose houses were painted and well kept to pay more. Everyone on that committee was trying to ensure their "type" of person paid less. It was a bit of a mess and I don't think anything ever came of it. It was more a "think tank" idea but it was scary to see what would actually happen if "everyman" really had a say in how things are run.

I don't think pollies get it right, but I don't think "everyman" would get it right either. Everyone wanted to push their own agenda and too bad for everyone else.

Hi rates are putting me off a little in buying in QLD as well. Maybe I'm just better off paying more Land Tax in Victoria. At least I get to the repairs on it myself which would save $'s and can attend to it without jumping on planes for serious issues.

Having said that what are NSW council rates like compared to Vic?

Hi rates are putting me off a little in buying in QLD as well. Maybe I'm just better off paying more Land Tax in Victoria. At least I get to the repairs on it myself which would save $'s and can attend to it without jumping on planes for serious issues.

Having said that what are NSW council rates like compared to Vic?

I am also thinking exactly the same The Bluger. I started looking in Victoria (Bendigo area) for my second IP. I think NSW rates are also pretty much same as VIC. Can anyone from NSW comment on that please???

I agree; I'm actually a small government fan myself. But compared to the billions spent on sports stadiums, the Australian Institute of Sport, art galleries, museums, ballet, opera, arts grants, and many other things which the government sponsors, the relatively few bucks involved in putting on a few films in the park just isn't significant enough to raise my blood pressure. :)
I also note this. I console myself by considering that at least at the State & Federal level , all this expenditure has to get past the opposition, so there's at least some kind of check. Also, I cut them some slack cause you can't please everybody. But local government has no opposition. The councillors are meant to be representing us ... but IMO that does not work.

How about the number of toilet pedestals..... Think about it !! ;)
LL

Rates are definately high - however, I would have to stick up for the way Council does spend the money on parkland and street appeal.

I visited my sister in Melbourne out near Roxburgh Park - your average outer suburb development...I noticed how dissapointing the street appeal was. Overgrown edges, tatty parks...

Even Logan (Woodridge/Kingston/Marsden/Slacks Creek) main street appeal is not bad - I would have to say it is very good. Parks are well maintained - there has to be a balance for everything. After the visit to Melbourne, I emailed my local member to compliment of the street appeal I was that impressed!

Back