High Council Rates in QLD?

I am from Melb and bought my first IP in Logan area (Marsden) in QLD. Didn't take much of notice of high council rates in the area before I bought and now realised high council rates is eating up my cash flow:mad:. I pay $637 per quarter. This is quite high when you compare with Victoria. This has put me off of buying again in QLD. Does anyone know if this is the case (high council rates) in all the area in QLD?

Does it happen to be Moreton Council???

They are super expensive compared to Brisbane City Council which is just next door.

Where is your place?

We are paying $650 per quarter in Coorparoo (BCC) and because sewage and water is now separate, we need to add $104.34 for sewage and $38.81 for water, and THEN we add the cost of the water we actually use.

So around $800 per quarter plus water :eek:.

I might just rent somewhere and let the landlord pay it for me :p.

We are paying $650 per quarter in Coorparoo (BCC) and because sewage and water is now separate, we need to add $104.34 for sewage and $38.81 for water, and THEN we add the cost of the water we actually use.

So around $800 per quarter plus water :eek:.

I might just rent somewhere and let the landlord pay it for me :p.

with water being charged separately now, why can't this be the responsibility of the tenant? Other utilities are in their name

I noticed it too, Im from Melbourne, and bought in Logan (woodridge). The council and body corp and at least double what I pay from comparable Melbourne property...
Should have done better dd before I bought, although I doubt it would have put me off, CG has been pretty good, and its pretty close to cashflow +

Are you guys serious????

I just bought one in marsden...i was told $1600 per year by the real estate agent!!!!

In nsw, its approx. $260 per quarter. I can't believe this to be the case. I guess Ill soon find out.

Agree completely. We have IPs in Melbourne and SE Queensland . Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich. The rates in Qld are substantially higher. Ipswich rates are ridiculous. But then, so is the Ipswich council !!

Local government is "out of control" IMO. It's the only level of gov't that has no opposition to keep it honest. And it shows. They do what they like and the ratepayers just have to pay.
LL

I can't believe my rates too for a townhouse in Waterford. $1952 - It was Gold coast city council, now Logan City Council

I have a house in Parkinson that is BCC. It's cheaper than the townhouse. $1750. Parkinson is worth about twice as much.

It's for rates + water rates (not water usage)

Last edited:
with water being charged separately now, why can't this be the responsibility of the tenant? Other utilities are in their name

Sorry, I should have said that mostly our tenants are paying for water.

I was just comparing rates "in general".

I noticed it too, Im from Melbourne, and bought in Logan (woodridge). The council and body corp and at least double what I pay from comparable Melbourne property...
Should have done better dd before I bought, although I doubt it would have put me off, CG has been pretty good, and its pretty close to cashflow +

Yes I agree, my IP cash flow also pretty good but feel terrible paying this much for rates when we pay less than half of that in Melb. Would you buy again in QLD?

Maybe councils have hit upon the idea that if property doubles every 10 years, then it really doesnt matter how much council fees go up, as it will still be a pitance relative to the $ growth in property prices.

So it looks like property doubling every 10 years solves problems for everyone.
Share the love so to speak.:D

Gold Coast is horrendous for hands in your pocket. We pay over $2,000 per year for a townhouse (l of 4). Developers up there have it so bad they have stopped developing as council was taking all the profit out of any deals. If you have a block of land and decide to build 4 on it, and the sq mtg of the land would support 8, you are charged developing fees for 8. However, it is a great place to live and the council provide all sorts of free stuff for the oldies, free tai chai on the beach, free yoga in halls, the usual U3A stuff.

land tax is much cheaper in qld and that more than makes up the rates and body corp
And stamp duty's lower, petrol is cheaper (OK, doesn't help IP owners) and we get more sunshine. :p

Seriously, our Council rates are high, but it's more than compensated for by the other positives of QLD living. (And I'll never be local, having been born in Victoria, but I've still adopted QLD as my home.) My parents, when visiting from Victoria, are also frequently surprised by how many services our Councils provide. We have amazingly well-equipped and plentiful parks, and loads of free (well, included in rates ;)) activities for all ages at libraries and other public spaces. I know plenty of people would rather have lower rates and have these activities be user-pays, but in reality, events such as movies in the park (a great boon in summer) wouldn't happen if they were user-pays, but they are incredibly well-patronised and add to the quality of life. :)

NICE!

At the moment we pay $854 dollars more in rates, for our house in Moreton Bay than the one in BCC. 3.4% is a bit but needs to come down significantly to meet BCC. Fingers Crossed!

Nanny state we have become !!

I know plenty of people would rather have lower rates and have these activities be user-pays,
Absolutely. Count me "IN" the "plenty". I pay the rates and don't get any value from these "extra" services that some do-gooder has decided should be provided. How come rates ALWAYS go UP. Nobody EVER considers less services and less taxes/rates? Councils are out of control. Their charter needs to be set out exactly and limited. They should then be charged with increasing the cost effectiveness of their services.

but in reality, events such as movies in the park (a great boon in summer) wouldn't happen if they were user-pays, but they are incredibly well-patronised and add to the quality of life. :)
What a load of mamby-pamby "hold my hand" rubbish. If there's a REAL demand, someone WILL fill it. Good chance, if it was "free enterprise" the bleeding council woudn't give the "required" permit !!!!

Less government. Less rates. Less taxes. More freedom.
LL

Back