High fence on busy road

We live on a pretty busy road and are considering a front fence with electronically controlled gate. Although only a single lane each way it's very busy at peak hour and does get some trucks going by throughout the day and in the front two rooms of the house you can even feel the rumble if a big truck goes by.

Would this add to the value of the property were we to sell it in your experience?

What would be the best build for noise reduction, we were considering hebel panel really only because a neighbour just had it done and it looks great. No real idea on the costs yet. We have just done the prelim work of having our land surveyed so we know exactly where our boundaries are.

Would this add to the value of the property were we to sell it in your experience?

yes.

no idea on materials or price, as i'm sure others have had better experience.

a great idea i have seen is to put a small water feature in the front yard - even if it's just a pseudo slate rock wall - as the sound of trickling water helps to drown out the road noise - and because of it's natural consistant sound is not as obvious.

a great idea i have seen is to put a small water feature in the front yard - even if it's just a pseudo slate rock wall - as the sound of trickling water helps to drown out the road noise - and because of it's natural consistant sound is not as obvious.

Not a great idea to do this in the driest state on the driest continent on earth though.... :(

well - if you have a recirculating water feature, and a water tank, and site it in the shade i don't see a problem.

I also second the opinion that a high fence will block some noise, and also make those living there feel safer.

I think the water feature is a great idea for its cooling effect and also as a foil the road noise. The water will recirculate and should not require much topping up.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think of a fountain but I like the idea.

If anyone has any input about the best fences for sound proofing or their own experience building one and what effect it had on road noise would interested to hear about it.

Depending upon the council, there are regulations for the max. height you can have for the fence. In some areas, you can have higher fence if it is not continuous (i.e. has sections where somebody can peep through) like a picket fence. For a continuous fence like brick or hebel or colorbond, the allowed height may be a bit less, in some areas less than a metre. In that case though effective than not having one, significant noise will still come.

Another thing that can be done is to have a lot of bushy plants with thick foliage behind the fence, like a hedge or other bushy plants. They will also contribute in noise reduction. You can also go for double-glazing the windows.

Have you considered double glazing?

I work in a school library that is right beside a very busy road. We have recently had double glazing installed and the difference is astonishing.

As you can't open the windows you will possibly also need air-conditioning.
Marg

i stick to tradiditional materials , like bessa, bricks dbl, you could add slate and render to create feature walls , and the water feature, is good to , especially if your collecting tank, water, you might get some beautiful local birds bathing as well!
As others said , add double glazing on the front windows, too!;)

Back