High pitched noise from light switch

All of a sudden our lounge room light switch is making a very high pitched noise.

Initially we thought we had left a tap on somewhere, but after sniffing around both inside and out, we tracked it down to the lounge room light switch.

It controls 4 lights. I turned off the lights at the mains but it makes no difference.

Anyone know what could be causing it? Just don't want a BBQ tonight before we can get a sparky tomorrow.

My guess would be that it is arcing.

Turn the main light circuit breaker of before retiring. (just have a torch handy;))

Cheers

PS just read that you already turned of the circuit - are you sure?

My guess is it has a dimmer attached and the electronics in the dimmer are buzzing away, not the switch itself. Its a common problem.

Check if it smells funny or feels warm. Then get a sparkie to replace it.

my parents had dimmer lights and the switches used to hummmm whenever engaged.

either that or you have fried one very angry cockroach

The same is happening to me

I have no dimmer lights in my house, and I can only hear it upstairs, but it is keeping me awake at night & giving me headaches also, any idea what's causing it?

I have no dimmer lights in my house, and I can only hear it upstairs, but it is keeping me awake at night & giving me headaches also, any idea what's causing it?
Had the same problem a while back in a rental, when the sparky came out to have a look he found a ants nest in the switch,have someone have alook at the switch..imho..

Back