High Voltage Overhead Powerlines

Oztexs said:
gee cee, i have since found out the voltage of the steel power lines are 132kv and are atleast 35m away from the main living area.

cheers,
oz
A bit close methinks. 132kv is the trunk voltage and will have two sets of conductors. If nothing else you would be uncomfortable.

Thommo

Hi
Great input on the subject from the experienced. Its good to hear from the experienced on any subject.
This input is only from what I have seen and read over many years, but -
It seems the body generates 10 watts of power to 'run' the systems that control all our bodily functions, like living.
It also seems that you can stand under high tension power lines holding a fluro tube at both ends, and it will light up. (have seen it)
How many watts does it take to override our 10 watt operating system so that something fails. "As to the medical effects who knows. But I find it unusual that a lot of people i worked with in substations and daily on high voltage lines have died of cancer. I had kidney failure in my mid 30's and a transplant."
As a result, we do not look at properties near high power lines for us or for tennants.
jahn

Today Tonight is doing a story on electrical leakage from appliances and power lines tonight.

Don't know where I ever heard it, but I've always remembered hearing you shouldn't be close to electrical things for long periods i.e. standing in front of the microwave and watching your food cook, sleeping with your (electrical) alarm clock close to your head (move it further away from you), sitting too close to the TV etc. I would think that being under powerlines would fall into the same thinking but more so.

Olly

Olly said:
Today Tonight is doing a story on electrical leakage from appliances and power lines tonight.

Don't know where I ever heard it, but I've always remembered hearing you shouldn't be close to electrical things for long periods i.e. standing in front of the microwave and watching your food cook, sleeping with your (electrical) alarm clock close to your head (move it further away from you), sitting too close to the TV etc. I would think that being under powerlines would fall into the same thinking but more so.

Olly

That's interesting. I had never heard this but it goes along with my first post.

The microwave oven is a seperate case. It operates at incredibly high frequencies and it is the frequency which poses the danger.

Thommo

Powerline Blues

Thommo, been a while since this topic has been covered here. Now we are being targeted by a proposed 275kv powerline alignment.

http://www.powerlink.com.au/asp/index.asp?sid=5056&page=Projects/southern&cid=5276&gid=498

Considering this 'new' aquired easement will slice through our acerage property and pass by our house by 100m, we'd like some thoughts on what to put to this mob that may change the final alignment away from here.

Thanks to anyone who can help respond to the power coy.

I live near power lines. Not the huge ones you see crossing large areas but not the normal street ones either. A street follows the power lines which are on the right and three couldersacs branch of to the left.I live at the back of the couldersac about 100 or so meters away. If they were to fall towards my street they still wouldnt hit the first house and mine is three back from that. It was definately a consideration for me but it was either this area with power lines near by or a lesser area with bulk rentals. Today values show i made the right choice. Infact the power lines stoped there being to many houses giving the area a more open feel. So although i would rather them not be there. They havent affected prices compared to nearby properties. But like i said they arent over the top they are to the side 70 meters away from the closest house.

I was recently tempted by a house with a nice view that had big lines running along the front of the property. Aside from health concerns, the look of them was off putting and they made a strange buzzing sound ! :eek:

After tossing it up decided not to buy, the house sat and sat and sold eventually for a discount of another $40.000. it was already discounted when I looked.

Most people are wary and who can blame them?
Do we ever really get the truth about these things?

geez.. reminds me of a house nearby my place.. selling for 320k+ with 865m2 land back in June, which is extremely cheap in this area. Went in for an inspection.. the land's big alright, but right at the centre of the backyard, there's a giant tower of high voltage pole, and that was the first time I was so close to a high voltage line. There's a big vege garden as well behind the pole, and the fence was totally broken, wonder who dares to fix it? To my surprise it was sold for 360k, now it's put back onto the market again asking for 435k+:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&c=21113023&m=1&s=vic&tm=1197894342

If u want to see this rare scene just go and inspect this place :D

I wonder how many people make sure their house is miles from high tension lines - only to send kids to school (or kindy) under power lines.... :confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

this is a interesting post, i enjoyed reading it,

this post also answers my question too.

I wouldnt live near power lines if i have a choice

thanks for the good information

cheers

Back