High Voltage Overhead Powerlines

Hi All,

Currently looking at a house for PPOR that seems to be quite close to overhead powerlines. I just have a few qestions on relation to these powerlines.

1. If the emmsion level or EMF is between 20-30, is that safe.
2. If they go directly above the back yard, does that mean i cant even build a garage in the future.
3. Would u buy a discounted house near powerlines ? if no state why.

Thanks for your help !

cheers,
oz

I've got no idea about emission levels and it's kind of an ongoing argument in some areas. I do know that when we looked at a great house, on a great block across the road from powerlines at a tiny price, my wife said, "No way, not for us, not for tenants."

Regardless of the facts, there is the I don't believe that the public in general will ever be happy living near power lines. Even at a bargin price, if you want to sell in the future you would almost certainly find it difficult to sell.

On the other hand, good deals are starting to come up and we'll probably only see more of them in the future. I'd keep saving for something better for the moment and keep my eyes open.

I have a tradesman's knowledge of electro magnetic propogation which does not qualify me comment on the health issues but two things are worth noting.

Firstly the radiation effect is the square of the distance. ie the apparent effect of a radiation source 10m away is one percent of one only 1m away. Forgetting decimals, you are surrounded (when in your home) by a voltage 1% of that in the power lines. So mathmatically you will recieve no more radiation from HV lines 10m away than you will if you are sitting 1m from a wall with power cables embedded in it. Ever seen a new home wired but unlined?

The other element of the equasion is frequency. The voltage of our power supply cycles 50 times/sec. Your mobile phone emits radiation at a trillion times higher frequency. (1million X 1million) And remember the square rule? The phone is only a few cms from your brain. And they think it is harmless.

Me personally? I would not be at all concerned, healthwise, it the cables were 100m away. I doubt there would be any adverse effect if they were 30m away but I would need to buy it very cheap, it especially if they were crossing my boundry. Not everyone is as blaze about such things as me.

Thommo the techie.

EDIT

Overnight I rembered that I should add a third element into the equasion. Current.

The power lines always carry high current. They are often driven to their max ie they are heating from the current flow. This is not so with the wiring in your house, much of which is carrying no current at all and certainly does not get hot.

This is a major oversight and the assumptions I made above must therefore be discounted. Thommo gives himself an uppercut!

Last edited:
I saw a article on tv on the effects of powerlines and health a while back.

It medically proved that those whom lived in close proximity to powerlines suffered medically with things such as increased asthma etc...

They said it was something about the pollution etc. being attracted to the air surrounding the lines due the Ions being charged. the pollutants then settle in the near by houses. This causes increased health problems.

Oztexs said:
hmmm even if it seems to be @ least 75k below the usual price for that area ??

The house we looked at would have been priced about $100k under the price of an equivalent house in the area not near power lines. The agent had had no interest at that price.

whitt said:
I saw a article on tv on the effects of powerlines and health a while back.

It medically proved that those whom lived in close proximity to powerlines suffered medically with things such as increased asthma etc...

They said it was something about the pollution etc. being attracted to the air surrounding the lines due the Ions being charged. the pollutants then settle in the near by houses. This causes increased health problems.

Did you really mean medically proven or just statistically demonstrated?

Thommo

yeh thommo no pylons but those oictures were taken at night, that is the glow from the high voltage lines. look closely at the lounge room picture the light switch is off but the light is on !

the yard actually goes left instead of directly behind.

obviously they didnt take a shot with the pylon in view :D

damn what a dilema .. i just want to find out if i can build a garage under it.

i am going to send the contract of sale to my solicitor and see what he says.

Thommo said:
Did you really mean medically proven or just statistically demonstrated?

Thommo

I cannot remember thommo about the details of the powerline article. Personally however i would not live under one myself but i know several other people are happy to.

I think as a long term rental Ip they could be worth a look at as the purchase price is low giving better yeilds. However at the other end they could be hard to sell. I think long term would be the key.

Power Crazy

I worked for what is now Inntegral Energy for 22yrs First as a emergancy field operator then a Network Controlroom operator. Do you knnow what voltage the line is. Could be from 11000volts up to 330000volts.

How big are the insulators 19 cm long or arounnd .5 metre. Is the line on poles or steel towers. Just the voltage will have more effect on you the higher it is.

If the line runns over your backyard there should bea easment mentioned inn the survey report or legal document related to the land.

Other problems for linnes from 33000volts upwood is the amounnt of TV & radio interferance you can get when there is any moisture in the air. If you have ever stood unnder a High Voltage line on a foggy or ligh rainning night you can hear the crackelling and see the sparks leaking around the insulators. Personally i would not really like to have a line like tahat runninng over my back or fronnt yard. Woodenn structures tend to catch alight causing pole fire. And if any insulator ever fails it is like a bomb going off with molten metal and showers of porcelan insulator flying through the air.

If the linne runs across your yard you will not be able to build a shed under it. If you did build a metal shed close to the line and it was metal you may even receive small shocks from the frame & metal. Caused by induction of power from the linne to the shed. Even if linne is outside your boundary there are certain distances that vcannnot have anythinng built under. So you still may not be able to put shed inn your yard.

As to the medical effects who knows. But I find it unusual that a lot of people i worked with in subatations and daily on high voltage lines have died of cancer. I had kidney failure in my mid 30's annd a transplant.

Hope this helps. :eek:

gee cee thanks for your informative reply.

well i am not sure what the voltage rating is for the pylon. ive had a lengthy chat with the next door neighbour and shes was unphased with the powerlines and told be she had been living there for over 27 yrs with no issues at all.

but going back to my concern, which is purely being able to build a shed or garage under the powerlines. if i am unable to do so then i will be quite happy to pass up on this place.

i indend on living there for as long as possible then perphaps renting it out as a IP.

cheers,
oz

Well, I have worked in the power industry for the past 35 years. I have been exposed to high voltages all this time. 275KV/132KV/66KV etc, and a lot closer than an overhead transmission line! Of all the retired workers I know most have just died of old age! These overseas reports on EMR make me laugh!

gee cee, i have since found out the voltage of the steel power lines are 132kv and are atleast 35m away from the main living area.

cheers,
oz

Gee Cee said:
Other problems for lines from 33000volts upwards is the amount of TV & radio interferance you can get when there is any moisture in the air. If you have ever stood under a High Voltage line on a foggy or light rainning night you can hear the crackelling and see the sparks leaking around the insulators.
If the line runs across your yard you will not be able to build a shed under it. If you did build a metal shed close to the line and it was metal you may even receive small shocks from the frame & metal. Caused by induction of power from the line to the shed. Even if line is outside your boundary there are certain distances that vcannnot have anything built under. So you still may not be able to put shed in your yard.

As to the medical effects who knows. But I find it unusual that a lot of people i worked with in substations and daily on high voltage lines have died of cancer. I had kidney failure in my mid 30's and a transplant.

Hope this helps. :eek:

GC
All these are valid points
Considering that any health problems due to Radiation are difficult if not impossible to prove (and cure), I would stay away from any unecessary radiation.
Its bad enough having to use our mobile phones, we now also have to put up
with cordless phones operating in higher than microwave oven frequencies,
They now came up with wireless LANs as the latest must have device.
Where is it going to stop?

OZ
The Radiation from High voltage power lines is normally low.
But how can one determine what level is safe?
Government institutions have come up with their acceptable
exposure levels and safe exposure times, but the fact is that
different People have different resistance levels and long term
exposure can be very harmful to some people and not to others.

Taking FESTER's comment, its possible that the immune system
of some people who are exposed to radiation managed to build up
resistance over time and are not getting sick.

Others are not so lucky. I've worked in the RF/Microwave industry
for over 20 years and I know what radiation does to people.

There is no proof that the HV power lines are very harmful
but I don't think its worth the risk.
I wouldn't buy this place for my family to live in.

In fact you will find that many people think along these lines and
stay clear of such properties.

Also, what if tomorrow they suddenly declare these power lines do cause health risks?

What now for your investment as nobody wants to touch it and your family is now exposed to the threat?

I have been tempted by these properties in the past and moved on to something else.

Back